PDA

View Full Version : Overspray of POR 15

beers
10-02-2014, 11:19 PM
Horror story here.

Took my 2013 Silverado truck in for a GM Technical Service Bulletin to remove the wax coating on my frame and protect it with a rust protective coating - POR 15 (POR-15 Rust Preventive Coating (http://www.por15.com/POR-15-Rust-Preventive-Coating_p_8.html)).

The dealership, who applied it by hand painting on 2 other friends vehicles, decided to spray mine without bagging the truck. Needless to say, they oversprayed the entire vehicle with a product that is very hard to remove (they claim no solvent is known to remove it).

Bad news - the dealership has had the vehicle for almost 2 weeks. The first week they clayed, polished and buffed the vehicle 4 times with some success. The overspray sounded like running your hand over sand paper, after the initial repair the paint was smooth but had a "metallic flake" appears in the affected areas.

They have since allowed a more experienced employee to buff the vehicle with wool pads and "more aggressive compounds" and the truck has only a few areas left to repair. The truck looks good in the sun and you cannot tell it happened.

Question here, what concerns should I have with paint failure over time removing a product like POR-15 oversprayed on the vehicle?

Some pictures and a video are here
https://plus.google.com/photos/103871382969205707251/albums/6065823546825032865

conquistador
10-02-2014, 11:52 PM
Just speculating but chances are high there is some damage inflicted by all the detailers that have handled your truck. I wonder how much clear coat they removed with these aggressive removal of the coating.

I would demand a complete repaint.

Sent from my HTC One using AG Online

Sicoupe
10-03-2014, 12:09 AM
Just speculating but chances are high there is some damage inflicted by all the detailers that have handled your truck. I wonder how much clear coat they removed with these aggressive removal of the coating.

I would demand a complete repaint.

Sent from my HTC One using AG OnlineI would have to agree, that is too nice of a truck to be jacked up like that. Sorry to hear your bad news buddy.