PDA

View Full Version : Steps required to add more Ultima Paint Guard Plus on top of Paint Guard Plus

eyost
10-01-2014, 01:00 PM
Hi all,

A few weeks ago I applied some Paint Guard Plus after washing, claying, and Paint Cleansing.

If I want to add some more in the future, do I have to repeat the same steps and if not what would I need to do to do it correctly?

I wonder about polishing too much; I previously used a white pad but am thinking of next time using a grey pad. The paint is in excellent condition.

Thanks for any suggestions or advice.

Ed

conquistador
10-01-2014, 02:40 PM
No need to polish again unless you are trying to correct defects. Just wash and and a layer of UPGP.

Sent from my HTC One using AG Online

eyost
10-01-2014, 05:43 PM
No need to polish again unless you are trying to correct defects. Just wash and and a layer of UPGP.

Sent from my HTC One using AG Online

Thanks. For some reason I thought I had to repeat the cleansing step by using something like Pinnacle Paint Cleanser or Ultima's version before applying the sealant. I assume after the wash do a baggie test before applying the Paint Guard?

Thanks,

Ed

KillaCam
10-01-2014, 05:50 PM
Thanks. For some reason I thought I had to repeat the cleansing step by using something like Pinnacle Paint Cleanser or Ultima's version before applying the sealant. I assume after the wash do a baggie test before applying the Paint Guard?

Thanks,

Ed

I wouldn't do a Baggie test unless the car has been outside in the elements like parked under a tree.

eyost
10-02-2014, 11:50 AM
I wouldn't do a Baggie test unless the car has been outside in the elements like parked under a tree.

I avoid trees due to the bird bombers, but it is a daily driver that is garaged at home. I was meaning baggie test and if it isn't slick then clay before applying more Paint Guard. If I clay, would I have to polish?

Thanks again,

Ed

KillaCam
10-02-2014, 12:52 PM
I avoid trees due to the bird bombers, but it is a daily driver that is garaged at home. I was meaning baggie test and if it isn't slick then clay before applying more Paint Guard. If I clay, would I have to polish?

Thanks again,

Ed

Not if you use a very fine clay and lots of lube. You be the judge! I prefer not to polish very often. No sense in removing paint all the time.

eyost
10-02-2014, 05:08 PM
Not if you use a very fine clay and lots of lube. You be the judge! I prefer not to polish very often. No sense in removing paint all the time.

Thanks. I use DA clay and their lubricant. Looks like ya'll are saving me a lot of work. I hope I haven't done too much to the car; have applied Pinnacle paint cleanser three times with a white pad on DA polisher. The car was brand new when I started.

Have I done bad?! I was told to clean every time using Pinnacle prior to applying sealant. Does it vary dependent upon the type of sealant. I was also using Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant.

Thanks,

Ed

KillaCam
10-02-2014, 06:59 PM
Thanks. I use DA clay and their lubricant. Looks like ya'll are saving me a lot of work. I hope I haven't done too much to the car; have applied Pinnacle paint cleanser three times with a white pad on DA polisher. The car was brand new when I started.

Have I done bad?! I was told to clean every time using Pinnacle prior to applying sealant. Does it vary dependent upon the type of sealant. I was also using Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant.

Thanks,

Ed

Normally only horizontal panels need claying a lot sooner than the vertical panels. You could clay and then just put a few coats of UPGP and that will give you protection for a long time.

I haven't used pinnacle paint cleanser but I don't think it's abrasive so you can use it as often as you want, but it will remove the protection that's already on the paint.