PDA

View Full Version : Confused...

Quick5Oh
08-11-2007, 09:54 PM
Hmm... well I seem to be having a bit of a problem guys. As some of you may know, I have recently got a PC and a nice little XMT kit. So, when I first detailed my car it looked great. The day after, all the swirls were back and so was some hazing.. So, I detailed again with XMT 3 w/ Orange pad but this time I did not use a glaze.(I was thinking this may have just hid the swirls from me) Anyways, so after that it looked great again. Today, about 4 or 5 days later, everything is back again. Swirls, hazing, everything! My technique last time was XMT 3 followed by XMT 1, followed by Poorboys Sealant, and Souveran a day later. Do any of you know what may be causing this? I ordered XMT 4 and a yellow cutting pad thinking that may have a little more bite i need. Anyways, the car has been repainted and I'm not sure on the clearcoat or anything. Any help!?

moosey
08-11-2007, 10:38 PM
not working the polish long enough?

Quick5Oh
08-11-2007, 11:26 PM
I believe I am, it breaks down pretty well. Also, what would explain it coming back after about a week of not touching it or anything?

Dust2Glory
08-11-2007, 11:32 PM
I believe I am, it breaks down pretty well. Also, what would explain it coming back after about a week of not touching it or anything?

well could be a couple of things, you might be running a dry pad... not realizing polish is gone.

it could be your MF, if they are cheap ones, they could be causing more swirls as you buff the polish off.

lastly, if it's got swirls, it's probably got some kind of clear/base coat.... but not really any way to tell how hard the clear is. what speed are you running the pc at? and when you polish are you doing side to side, then back and forth?

Quick5Oh
08-11-2007, 11:45 PM
Hmm, I believe I was using some cobras and some cheapo microfibers.. I'll stay away from that. I was running the PC on speed 5-6, usually 6, and I was doing overlapping motions up down and then side to side. Maybe the microfibers are causing the swirls but how about the hazing and stuff coming back. And its always in the same spots looking the same. Maybe I'm never even getting rid of it?

D
08-11-2007, 11:59 PM
Start with XMT 1 and a light cut pad, then work your way up. When you think its broken down, swipe it with your finger. If it comes right off then its broken down, if it doesnt, then its not broken down.

Quick5Oh
08-12-2007, 12:14 AM
Alright, should I start with 1 regardless? Even if I know its gonna need alot more bite then #1?