PDA

View Full Version : Silly question Re: pads & backing plates

Don M
09-30-2014, 02:26 PM
I have a PC 7424 with a 6" BP, do I need to get a 5" plate to use the 6/6.5" pads, or shoudl I just stay with the 6" plate and use the 7" pads. I'm getting confused over BP and pads size correlation.

Dr_Pain
09-30-2014, 02:35 PM
PC is slightly under powered for spinning a 6-7" pads, so for quality corrections I would say go down to the 5" BP and get some 5.5" pads and you will be glad you did. The problem with the bigger pad is the amount of friction generated by the surface area of the larger pad will tend to stop rotation (while maintaining the oscillation). You need some down pressure on the polisher to effectively correct, and this in addition to drag will make you wish you bought the smaller backing plate. You may think at first glance that you are doing work until you finish 6 passes and notice that it only corrected 50% of what you thought you would be correcting. Mark your BP and always be mindful of the rotation.

EVOlved
09-30-2014, 02:35 PM
6.5" is fine with the stock 6" plate. But what you should do if you want any good correction out of the PC is get a 5" BP and use 5.5" pads for 90% of your work.

Claude beat me to it!! Basically what he said.

cardaddy
09-30-2014, 02:36 PM
I have a PC 7424 with a 6" BP, do I need to get a 5" plate to use the 6/6.5" pads, or shoudl I just stay with the 6" plate and use the 7" pads. I'm getting confused over BP and pads size correlation.

You get the 5" plate for the 5½" pads.

IMO you'd really not want to use 6½" pads with the 7424. Not to mention that the 5½" pads are a lot cheaper. ;)

Wouldn't be worried about any yellow pads, just pick up say 4 orange, 4 white, 2 blue, 2 black to start with. That'd get you out of pretty much any trouble you'd get into. :xyxthumbs:

Don M
09-30-2014, 02:50 PM
OK, so the 5" plate it is, now which pads should I get? My car is 90-95% defect free (other than fading in a few areas) and I don't do the amount of side work that I used to so I'll mainly be working on my and my family's cars. I used to have the Lake Country VC (variable contact) pads, but mine are now worn out and they don't make them any more. What is a good replacement?

Mike Moore
09-30-2014, 03:10 PM
I personally would suggest the Meguiars Mirror Glaze W67DA 5" backing plate. This BP works great with both foam & the Megs 5" microfiber discs (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-da-microfiber-system.html).

As far as pads, I like the Lake Country 5 1/2 inch Flat Foam Pads (http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-beveled-pad-kit.html) or my fav foam the Lake Country Hydro-Tech 5 1/2 x 7/8 Inch Foam Pads 3 Pack (http://www.autogeek.net/hydrotech-low-profile-3pack.html)

cardaddy
09-30-2014, 05:01 PM
You get the 5" plate for the 5½" pads.

Wouldn't be worried about any yellow pads, just pick up say 4 orange, 4 white, 2 blue, 2 black to start with. That'd get you out of pretty much any trouble you'd get into. :xyxthumbs:

OK, so the 5" plate it is, now which pads should I get? My car is 90-95% defect free (other than fading in a few areas) and I don't do the amount of side work that I used to so I'll mainly be working on my and my family's cars. I used to have the Lake Country VC (variable contact) pads, but mine are now worn out and they don't make them any more. What is a good replacement?

Depending on if you're working with SMAT or DAT based products you can use less or more cut in your pads. For instance, if you are using Menzerna 1500 or 2000 you can get really good correction s well as finish with a LC orange pad. Either CCS or flat really doesn't matter, although CCS will work up to edges better. Working with FG400 you can get nice AIO results with a white pad.

Working with SMAT based products like 101 or UC I might start with the white pad and work backwards from there. Move to 205 or UP and you'll still get good results with a white pad, although they'll finish better with the blue or black one.

It all really depends on your paint system. None the less, that's why I suggested a dozen pads. If you have 2 cars in your garage that list will get you through them.

Don M
09-30-2014, 06:45 PM
Depending on if you're working with SMAT or DAT based products you can use less or more cut in your pads. For instance, if you are using Menzerna 1500 or 2000 you can get really good correction s well as finish with a LC orange pad. Either CCS or flat really doesn't matter, although CCS will work up to edges better. Working with FG400 you can get nice AIO results with a white pad.

Working with SMAT based products like 101 or UC I might start with the white pad and work backwards from there. Move to 205 or UP and you'll still get good results with a white pad, although they'll finish better with the blue or black one.

It all really depends on your paint system. None the less, that's why I suggested a dozen pads. If you have 2 cars in your garage that list will get you through them.

I'll be sticking with Meguiars products since I can get both the professional and consumer products (not the detailer's though) locally.

cardaddy
10-07-2014, 04:08 PM
I'll be sticking with Meguiars products since I can get both the professional and consumer products (not the detailer's though) locally.

Nothing wrong with Megs Mirror Glaze line, 101, 105, 205, 83, Ultimate Compound, Ultimate Polish, etc..... Keep in mind that they are SMAT based and while they have a TON of cut, finishing with them is a bit harder than Menzerna.

I'm a huge, HUGE Meguiar's fan!

A couple years back I told myself I was going to go totally with SMAT and do away with the "old school" DAT based products. Wrong! :rolleyes: These days I use as many, (if not more) Menzerna compounds and polishes as I do Mequiar's. :dunno: Although I may start with Meguiar's (for the cutting ability) it's easier to finish down with Menzerna, (or Wolfgang). ;)

chet31
10-07-2014, 11:47 PM
The 5.5" pads are fine for fine polishing, but if you really want to correct deeper swirls w/ a PC, go for the 3" backing plate w/ 3" pads.

Mike Moore
10-08-2014, 06:16 AM
For correction I am a big fan of the Meguiars DMC5 DA Microfiber Cutting Discs, 5 inches (http://www.autogeek.net/5in-microfiber-cutting-discs.html) with Meguiars D300 DA Microfiber Correction Compound (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-da-compound.html)

For that "Extra Cut" I like Meguiars M101 Foam Cut Compound (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-m101-foam-cut-compound.html) with CarPro Flash Spot Repair Pad 5" and/or the CarPro Flash Spot Repair Pad - 3 1/2"

Don M
10-08-2014, 08:14 AM
The 5.5" pads are fine for fine polishing, but if you really want to correct deeper swirls w/ a PC, go for the 3" backing plate w/ 3" pads.

I noticed how everyone was using the 3" pads for heavier correction, fortunately my car is in really good shape and the cars that I do detail for others, well the owners wouldn't know a swirl or buffer haze if it bit them.