PDA

View Full Version : equipment question

godfearingman
09-30-2014, 11:37 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Interdynamics-PB-10-Orbital-Polish-Buffer/sim/B000COBP3K/2

I have a 10" random orbital waxer/polisher I got 3-4 years ago I was wondering if it's good for applying polish and or a cleaner wax. Any help and or advice is greatly appreciated. This is the one I have.

Dr_Pain
09-30-2014, 11:51 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71dP3gdXhRS._SL1500_.jpg

Those things are only good for one thing, applying and removing waxes (definitely not for polishing/compounding). The problem you will encounter with this "wax spreader" is that it is too big and bulky and you will have a difficult time with reaching some areas so will end up doing part of the work by hand. It is also notoriously hard not to go over gaskets and body line (since you are trying to wax all those small areas with a rather large machine), so you end up spending double the time cleaning up after yourself

godfearingman
09-30-2014, 11:58 AM
Well I don't have the money to buy a DA polisher right now I'm wanting to prepare my car for winter. Wanting to clay polish and or cleaner wax then a final coat of collinite 915.

kevin_1981
09-30-2014, 12:49 PM
I have one of those as well.. definitely not a fan. I used it once, and then just did everything by hand after that first time. My recommendation is to do it by hand, if you dont have a DA polisher. It gets a little tiring, but it looks like your car isn't too big though (assuming its the one in the profile picture).

godfearingman
09-30-2014, 12:52 PM
I have one of those as well.. definiI'mtely not a fan. I used it once, and then just did everything by hand after that first time. My recommendation is to do it by hand, if you dont have a DA polisher. It gets a little tiring, but it looks like your car isn't too big though (assuming its the one in the profile picture).

Yea it is it's a 2014 corolla with almost 7,400 miles on it I'm wanting to get as clean, looking good and protected as I can before winter.

dennis hiip
09-30-2014, 01:01 PM
Do you know about the Harbor Freight DA? About $50 and 20% off coupon available. Reviews say it's a worthy machine. I'm getting one as a second DA to use with 3" pads.

godfearingman
09-30-2014, 01:03 PM
Do you know about the Harbor Freight DA? About $50 and 20% off coupon available. Reviews say it's a worthy machine. I'm getting one as a second DA to use with 3" pads.

Yea I have a thread about it but didn't know anything about the 20% off coupon but can't afford that right now anyway at least not this week how long will the coupon be good for and how would I get and use it?

dennis hiip
09-30-2014, 01:09 PM
Usually there's a stack of sales brochures when you enter the store and the coupon is in the brochure-every current brochure has a coupon. Check the web site also.

Dr_Pain
09-30-2014, 02:27 PM
Yea I have a thread about it but didn't know anything about the 20% off coupon but can't afford that right now anyway at least not this week how long will the coupon be good for and how would I get and use it?

The DA is good enough for the amateur. I would not use their pads though. Spend a little money and get some Lake Country pads. I know you mentioned a couple of times that "you can't afford it", but my question to you is "can you afford not to"

mark98xlt
10-01-2014, 12:26 AM
Don't forget to swap out the factory backing plate it comes with to!

Kengo123
10-01-2014, 01:31 AM
Just go straight to wax or sealant after clay if you don't have a machine to polish with.

Or just do it by hand. Then get the harbor freight da when you can afford it.

godfearingman
10-01-2014, 08:00 AM
Don't forget to swap out the factory backing plate it comes with to!

How though? I saw a thread in here but didn't really go in depth with photos of everything don't want to mess up a brand new DA polisher.