PDA

View Full Version : Applicator feels "dry" when applying wax, is that ok?

cfiiman
09-28-2014, 11:15 AM
It seems like whenever I use a foam applicator for applying wax, in this case Pinnacle Souveran paste wax, that I don't get very far without the pad feeling "dry" or like there isn't any product on it. Now I know you are suppose to apply very thin, so maybe this is just the way it is, but it feels weird to me. It is almost like the pad has nothing on it very shortly after starting to apply. I've found when I come back over an area then is glides very nice, but initially just feels like i'm running a dry foam applicator across my paint. The amount of wax on the pad does seem to make a difference but I don't think I should be applying wax to the pad every few seconds either :dunno: Doesn't matter what the foam pad is and I've tried different ones and they still feel this way. It tends to make me want to push down harder to get the wax out of them which I don't like doing. Any explanation for this?

Mizzoutiger
09-28-2014, 11:44 AM
I use to apply wax with foam applicator, but now use machine to ensure better/even distribution (except areas it can't reach). And if I wax, I always apply on top of cured sealant (slick/protected). Mike shows machine wax application here (start at 32:00) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xJH_MGgbLw

cfiiman
09-28-2014, 11:58 AM
I use to apply wax with foam applicator, but now use machine to ensure better/even distribution (except areas it can't reach). And if I wax, I always apply on top of cured sealant (slick/protected). Mike shows machine wax application here (start at 32:00) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xJH_MGgbLw

Thanks for the advice, I'm speaking specifically though about applying by hand with a foam applicator and if this feeling is normal to experience.

Mizzoutiger
09-28-2014, 12:10 PM
Considering other variables that could impact this, I'm thinking about surface temp, humidity, paint smoothness (decontaminated/corrected/sealed) and pad lubricity. I've used these hand applicator pads for a long time w/o issues you're having (after priming pad and on clean/sealed paint in 50+ F temp) Pinnacle Foam Wax Applicator- Great applicators- Great results! (http://www.autogeek.net/pinfoamwaxap1.html).

cfiiman
09-28-2014, 01:04 PM
Considering other variables that could impact this, I'm thinking about surface temp, humidity, paint smoothness (decontaminated/corrected/sealed) and pad lubricity. I've used these hand applicator pads for a long time w/o issues you're having (after priming pad and on clean/sealed paint in 50+ F temp) Pinnacle Foam Wax Applicator- Great applicators- Great results! (http://www.autogeek.net/pinfoamwaxap1.html).

Interesting, well the car was clayed, and 2 stepped corrected and is smooth as glass so there is no issue there. Maybe I just feel like it is "dry". I mean certainly when you start applying yours eventually it needs to be re-moistened with wax right? So how do you know when that is, I always thought it was when the pad didn't "glide" as smooth over the paint, mine just seems to stop gliding smooth very quickly unless applying more wax. Being that it is a paste wax this probably makes it a lot less "lubricated" than say a liquid wax, but I just would think I would get farther is all.

Rsurfer
09-28-2014, 02:17 PM
I always get my pad damp (not wet) before waxing. I keep a fine mist spray bottle and give a mist or two for every panel. BTW Pinnacle Souveran is one of my favorite paste wax.

Don M
09-28-2014, 02:23 PM
I just waxed the hood of my wife's Explorer and I know exactly what you mean ... of course I did no prep work and the paint hasn't been polished or waxed or anything in literally years, so it's VERY grabby.

RottenII
09-28-2014, 04:05 PM
It seems like whenever I use a foam applicator for applying wax, in this case Pinnacle Souveran paste wax, that I don't get very far without the pad feeling "dry" or like there isn't any product on it. Now I know you are suppose to apply very thin, so maybe this is just the way it is, but it feels weird to me. It is almost like the pad has nothing on it very shortly after starting to apply. I've found when I come back over an area then is glides very nice, but initially just feels like i'm running a dry foam applicator across my paint. The amount of wax on the pad does seem to make a difference but I don't think I should be applying wax to the pad every few seconds either :dunno: Doesn't matter what the foam pad is and I've tried different ones and they still feel this way. It tends to make me want to push down harder to get the wax out of them which I don't like doing. Any explanation for this?

I know exactly what you are saying. Have the same issue with BF Black Ice and the foam applicator they send with it. I end up using too much wax which I know is a total waste. I think I'll try and dampen the applicator like suggested here.

KillaCam
09-28-2014, 04:36 PM
I always prime the pad with a mist or two of detail spray before putting any wax on the pad. Works for me.

FUNX650
09-28-2014, 05:02 PM
The best way that I've ever found for overcoming
"pad dryness"...Is to: "condition the pads"...
with the following product:

XMT Polishing Pad Conditioner by Pinnacle For your dual action or rotary polisher. (http://www.autogeek.net/xmt--pad-conditioner.html)
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/image589.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/82004)

Bob

Loach
09-28-2014, 05:57 PM
Whenever it would get grabby for me like that, especially after polishing or using a paint cleanser product, I would go and reapply the wax to the pad. My process now if using a paste wax, is I make sure the pad goes flat against the wax in the container, I lightly rotate the pad in the container clockwise and then back counter-clockwise to get an even amount of product across the entire face, and then I actually use a light circular motion to apply wax in order to get an even coverage. And I generally get through about a quarter of the hood size section before I reapply the paste wax on the pad. Doing it this way I never get to the point to where the pad feels grabby, and I haven't noticed any sort of over-application problems yet with what I've been applying using this process.

Before I would have major grabbing issues as a result of the hard water at my house and my drying towels being inadequate, causing streaks of water to dry on the surface leaving behind all of that nonsense for the pad to grab onto if I didn't use a polishing or cleansing step prior to applying the wax. But I feel that my quest to get as thin a layer as possible is not worth the grabbing problems that might come with it without a reapplication of the product to the pad.

WAXOFF
09-28-2014, 06:01 PM
I always get my pad damp (not wet) before waxing. I keep a fine mist spray bottle and give a mist or two for every panel. BTW Pinnacle Souveran is one of my favorite paste wax.

I do also.

cfiiman
09-28-2014, 06:47 PM
Whenever it would get grabby for me like that, especially after polishing or using a paint cleanser product, I would go and reapply the wax to the pad. My process now if using a paste wax, is I make sure the pad goes flat against the wax in the container, I lightly rotate the pad in the container clockwise and then back counter-clockwise to get an even amount of product across the entire face, and then I actually use a light circular motion to apply wax in order to get an even coverage. And I generally get through about a quarter of the hood size section before I reapply the paste wax on the pad. Doing it this way I never get to the point to where the pad feels grabby, and I haven't noticed any sort of over-application problems yet with what I've been applying using this process.

Before I would have major grabbing issues as a result of the hard water at my house and my drying towels being inadequate, causing streaks of water to dry on the surface leaving behind all of that nonsense for the pad to grab onto if I didn't use a polishing or cleansing step prior to applying the wax. But I feel that my quest to get as thin a layer as possible is not worth the grabbing problems that might come with it without a reapplication of the product to the pad.

Thanks for the replies guys, good to know I'm not the only one.

I noticed you said you go in small circles, I have noticed when I do that I can get a lot further, but when watching MP's video on Pinnacle Souveran he said to do straight line so I did, that is where I feel I have a "grabby" issue.

FunX725, I might have to try that product as well!

I used to use detail spray on paste waxes, but with souveran I just didn't want to "contaminate" the pure awesomeness of the product :D

Loach
09-28-2014, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, good to know I'm not the only one.

I noticed you said you go in small circles, I have noticed when I do that I can get a lot further, but when watching MP's video on Pinnacle Souveran he said to do straight line so I did, that is where I feel I have a "grabby" issue.

FunX725, I might have to try that product as well!

I used to use detail spray on paste waxes, but with souveran I just didn't want to "contaminate" the pure awesomeness of the product :D

It is a preference for me to go in circles. Until I notice any problems occurring from circular hand motion, then I will keep doing it. I have had no issues and it does feel like the product is spreading easier for me.

hollerstiltner
09-29-2014, 02:29 PM
I'll often put the wax on the applicator and then just touch the paint in spots all around where I'm going to wax. That way I can run into fresh wax before it starts to feel dry and grabby.

Think of it like touching the pad around a panel to spread dots of compound around before you turn on the buffer.