PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy new headlights?

Pages : [1] 2

CodyC21
09-27-2014, 04:39 PM
Should I buy new headlights for my frontier? Or do the headlight cleaners actually work? I don't really want to wet sand them, like some cleaners require. I can buy a pair of headlights for $50. Which isn't that much for me

Kurtopia
09-27-2014, 05:30 PM
You may spend 50 dollars for new headlamps.. but what knowledge will you have gained? If you restore your headlamps yourself you will not only know how to do it but be able to offer that service to someone else and make money.

Just do it.

MPBGT
09-27-2014, 05:55 PM
There are a lot of repop headlights out there cheap.... Typically you get what you pay for when you buy new ones. Look up what oem ones cost. Restoring your old ones will probably be a bargain compared to factory replacements.

Black 95 tsi
09-27-2014, 07:32 PM
If you clean and seal the headlight it will last longer. If you don't put a sealer over it they will yellow within a year. I have put repos in cars and they yellow within a year. The OEMs are crazy money. When the wife's car got hit I told them no repos they put a repo in I took it back and gave it back to them. I say clean them and learn a new skill!

hernandez.art13
09-27-2014, 07:46 PM
I say you restore them, plus you get to keep the OEM ones.

Darkoverlift
09-28-2014, 01:36 PM
Wrong board to take an easy way out... actually the wet sand and polish is easier than you think.

Angus
09-28-2014, 03:03 PM
I'd also add you'll need to align the new headlights so they point correctly. Where as your OEM ones are already set to the correct angle.

dsg03gt
09-28-2014, 03:26 PM
I'd also add you'll need to align the new headlights so they point correctly. Where as your OEM ones are already set to the correct angle.

That would only take a couple minutes and really shouldn't be a deciding factor to the OP.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Angus
09-28-2014, 03:35 PM
That would only take a couple minutes and really shouldn't be a deciding factor to the OP.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

I agree but it's often overlooked step by people I've had this very conversation with.

miad
09-28-2014, 03:43 PM
if $50 is no problem for OP, add just a little more, get a used Griots 3 inch on the Bay, pad interface for $3, and some sanding discs for cheap, make yours look brand new for less than $100, and still have the machine to use for all sorts of other things.

allenk4
09-28-2014, 05:06 PM
if $50 is no problem for OP, add just a little more, get a used Griots 3 inch on the Bay, pad interface for $3, and some sanding discs for cheap, make yours look brand new for less than $100, and still have the machine to use for all sorts of other things.

Sanding discs ain't cheap, btw

Better off buying a kit that has one of each of the required grits

FUNX650
09-28-2014, 05:41 PM
Should I buy new headlights for my frontier? Or do the headlight cleaners actually work? I don't really want to wet sand them, like some cleaners require. I can buy a pair of headlights for $50. Which isn't that much for me
If you really don't feel like mucking-around with the original headlamps/lenses---doing things like:

Going through the processes of wet-sanding, compounding, polishing, and applying an automotive grade clear-coating (that contains UV-protectors/absorbers) to them...

Then I say: Don't.

Bob

MarkD51
09-28-2014, 06:23 PM

30385I had the same dilemma 1-1/2 years ago with my Tahoe. I replaced all of them, the headlights, taillights, an all other lights-lenses in the front.

What I found was the quality was about the same as new GM. You think GM is pressing these babies out in some high tech ameri-factory? Nope.

16 years took their toll, no bringing such back like factory new in many cases. I look factory new right now. Only hassle is the swap and re-alignment.

Darkoverlift
09-28-2014, 06:58 PM
I have had success just wet sanding with 2000 gritt from autozone.. Some cases 1500 first... followed by generic plastic polish using my porter.. seal with car sealant like blackfire...

miad
09-28-2014, 07:41 PM
Sanding discs ain't cheap, btw

Better off buying a kit that has one of each of the required grits

yeah I know, I have every grit Meguiars makes. not talking about the Meguiars brand. you can get other brands for cheaper, or even buy a headlight kit just for the discs. my local auto body supply even sells them in singles for $2 each.