PDA

View Full Version : I hate single-stage red

Don M
09-27-2014, 03:04 PM
Which of course is what I have on my car. I just gave the car a full wash, tires dressed and gave it a coat of UQW. BUT ... I can see on the trunk, the tops of the right side mirror and half a dozen other spots where the paint is fading.
The car could have used a good going over with a mild polish or AIO, and trust me it would have made a visual difference. But with the wife being on the rampage about how I spend my free time, all I did was the UQW after the wash (although it was a full, detailed wash ... jambs and all).
It looks great in spite of the faded spots, the UQW does a fantastic job of doing what it's intended to do, slickness, depth of color and shine. But it's ALSO IRRITATING knowing that despite all of my efforts, the paint is going to fade out on me. I JUST did a full buffing three months ago, got all the oxidation out and brought it up to an awesome gloss and here it comes again ...
I just had to vent ...

mbkite
09-27-2014, 04:22 PM
Feed the paint miguires #7 glaze. Works great on my black single stage paint. Rub it in let it sit over night and rub more in to take it off.
Keep feeding untill your happy than wax..

DaveT435
09-27-2014, 04:26 PM
What did you put on it for protection?

jmsc
09-27-2014, 04:52 PM
Don M:

what year, mfg, model, was the car?

I owned a late model Honda SS Red and said never again. W/O CC I found paint was too thin to maintain properly. So I traded it in on a new Honda that had a clear-coat finish.

Faded spots (pinkish looking) means too much paint was removed by someone.

DaveT435
09-27-2014, 05:23 PM
Good point...is it faded paint or oxidation on top of the paint?

Don M
09-27-2014, 05:57 PM
The car is a 2006 Suzuki Aerio with "Racy Red" SS paint. There are 160,000 miles on the body and several panels have been repaired and have been clear coated. It's easier to say what is still SS. This includes the right side mirror, the right side door handles, the trunk and the roof.

The paint on the top trailing edge of the mirror housing is turning white, as is the top edges of the right door handles. The horizontal surface of the trunk and the roof are fading and an experienced detailer (or an average person once it's pointed out to them) can tell that the paint in those two areas isn't quite as "racy red" as the rest of the car. I should mention that even when 'neglected' for a month or two, the paint never turns 'chalky.'

The "heaviest" cut product that I have used on the car is Megs UC and that was a few years ago, since then I have only used Klasse AIO as my cleaner/polish since I quickly discovered that my paint didn't require abrasives to clean up/regain its color

The mirror started turning white almost as soon as I bought the car and I've been fighting the "fading" almost as long. The door handles turning white at the edges is a new thing, I noticed it about two weeks ago what I first used UQW and got to the passenger side doors.

In the beginning for protection I used Collinite Insulator and 476, Megs Tech wax and Tech wax 2.0 and Gold Class Carnauba +. Most recently it's been Klasse HGSG although I have two applications of UQW on it right now and I plan on trying ULW before winter.

Unfortunately I can't show pics of the issues because my camera and my laptop won't talk to each other. My car had been sitting on the dealer's lot for a while (the spider webs were a giveaway) so now after hearing the responses to this post, I wonder if they did a dealer hack job just to make the car "pretty" to get it to sell. (I bought it because it was the only manual trans car they had in my price range).

Here is an older pic of the car before the rims were destroyed by Ohio winters, but it looks almost identical to the way it sits right now (although in person the red is deeper). I believe that this is with NXT 2.0 on the car

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/500/tn_SDC10263.JPG