PDA

View Full Version : Viking Microfiber 24 Pack Any Good?

cfiiman
09-27-2014, 01:27 PM
Was in Meijer today and saw this on sale for 10 bucks which seemed like a great price for 24 Viking microfibers, but before I open them and wash them I was wondering if these are good for dirtier jobs like engine bay, behind the wheels, fender wells, glass, interior, etc.? I'm looking for a good solution to wiping the gritty/pebble dirt off that accumulates right behind the wheel on the inside lip of the fender etc. and don't want to use my nice "lower" wash mitt. The Amazon reviews (only 3) are not good but I figure Geekers will have more experience I can trust. Or do I not really need to be concerned for wiping these areas?

Secondly I thought they would be good on paint, if soaked in a rinsless solution for kind of a Garry Dean method, or are these types of microfiber not good for that either? Here is a picture of the package I bought:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/912YUBdELbL._SY355_.jpg

cfiiman
09-27-2014, 01:50 PM
I should say the package says they are good for wash/wax/polish/glass, etc. Guess I'm just looking for a towel that when I see something nasty (bird poop, grit, whatever) to use that instead of anything super nice like my Griot's or Meguiar's towels.

conman1395
09-27-2014, 02:13 PM
Not for rinseless. Our paint in general. But if you can get that for $10 then buy another pack too. I use those for engine bay and nasty jobs as well.

cfiiman
09-27-2014, 02:35 PM
How about using them on glass/interior?

dsg03gt
09-27-2014, 02:45 PM
I would use them for interior and dirty jobs. No way would I use them on paint.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

trashmanssd
09-27-2014, 03:27 PM
I would use them for interior and dirty jobs. No way would I use them on paint.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

+1

dlc95
09-27-2014, 03:51 PM
I bought a 24 pack for $5.00 also at Meijers to use for wheels, interiors, and "misc" jobs.

VISITOR
09-27-2014, 04:04 PM
those aren't bad for non-paint related tasks. not to say you can't use them on there, but use premium towels on the paint to ensure you aren't marring the finish which will lead to having to polish the paint sooner. unless they've changed from the first batch i got when they first started carrying them, another good option is the 36pk yellow kirkland bulk mf towels from costco...

jmsc
09-27-2014, 05:19 PM
I would use them ($10/24 = .42/per) on interior plastic/leather, wheel wells, tires, engine bay, wheel barrels, undercarriage, maybe windows. I use them once, never wash 'em and then trash them. Do a CD test initially to gauge a first impression.

I just bought a 5pk from Target on sale last week for $1.65 = .33/ea. dlc95 paid .21/ea. Cheap mf has a place in the scheme of things, but, I would avoid them on paint.

cfiiman
09-27-2014, 06:18 PM
Ok, only question I have is are the ok on glass? Meaning does microfiber that is not ok for paint also not ok for glass or does glass not matter as much?

EDIT:

I just opened the package, these things seem very nice IMO, very soft especially folded into quarters. Not like my Griot's towels, but they seem similar to the Megs Supreme Shine quality. Still won't use them on paint except behind the wheels kind thing were I don't want to put the mitt, but I'm not sure these would not be ok on paint based on how they feel.

VISITOR
09-27-2014, 06:55 PM
Ok, only question I have is are the ok on glass? Meaning does microfiber that is not ok for paint also not ok for glass or does glass not matter as much?

EDIT:

I just opened the package, these things seem very nice IMO, very soft especially folded into quarters. Not like my Griot's towels, but they seem similar to the Megs Supreme Shine quality. Still won't use them on paint except behind the wheels kind thing were I don't want to put the mitt, but I'm not sure these would not be ok on paint based on how they feel.

as long as it doesn't lint you should be fine to use it on the windows. try using new towels on the bathroom mirror first and see if it lints before you use them. if they lint, demote them to other less important tasks. viking makes some excellent products all around the board. years ago they had some plush mf towels that were made in korea which were top notch and i still have and use them...

cfiiman
09-27-2014, 07:06 PM
Thanks, yeah these aren't labeled as "plush" or anything special, just multi-purpose and on the back says they can be used for anything paint related. I'm not going to trust them just b/c I have nicer ones for that, but it seems like they "could be" without scratching based on how they feel. To be honest, I just picked up some Meg Supreme Shine and they feel "thinner" to me than these :dunno:

VISITOR
09-27-2014, 07:09 PM
Thanks, yeah these aren't labeled as "plush" or anything special, just multi-purpose and on the back says they can be used for anything paint related. I'm not going to trust them just b/c I have nicer ones for that, but it seems like they "could be" without scratching based on how they feel. To be honest, I just picked up some Meg Supreme Shine and they feel "thinner" to me than these :dunno:

i had a few of those packs years ago and one definitely could of been used on paint as they were soft and plush, but the other weren't the same and were demoted to other things. there's no rule saying you can't use them on paint, if they perform with no ill effects by all means use them on there...