PDA

View Full Version : M105/M205 on good paint.

adcampo
09-27-2014, 07:48 AM
I just got a Porter Cable DA.

I have a 2004 Arctic Silver Porsche 4S cab and 2013 BMW Estril Blue 328.

The paint on both are in overall very good shape. I'm looking to really kick it up a notch.

They have some small spider scratches and very minor imperfections.

I was thinking of doing the M105 orange pad followed by M205 with a white pad.

Too aggressive?

Thanks and I appreciate your help.

Paul A.
09-27-2014, 08:00 AM
Depending on what you're working to remove i would try a test spot with the 205/white first and see if that gives you a look and results you are happy with. I have also tried 205 with an orange LC flat pad in the past in an effort to slightly amp up the cut a little before resorting to 105. Sometimes it's worked and sometimes not. I follow that up with Menz 4500 to gloss the heck out of the finish. You may find you need the 105/orange pad combo but i hate to just break that out without seeing what a less aggressive attempt might yield first.

I will tell you that my 07 black BMW gets 105/orange about every 18 months!

Swift
09-27-2014, 08:01 AM
If I was you, I would use Menzerna SF 4000 or use Poorboy's White Diamond Glaze. Menzerna SF 4000 can take care of 3000 sand grit marks (hope I said that correctly!), Poorboy's is non-abrasive, can mask minor imperfections and must be topped with a wax like Collinite 845. But thats me, and I'm not an expert. :) :)

adcampo
09-27-2014, 12:07 PM
Thanks. I have one scratch that can't be felt with a finger mail. 205 orange or white couldn't remove it. I'm assuming I can use 105 in troubled spots and 205 in others?

Also, will 105 cut throgh the clear coat to my paint?

TurboToys
09-27-2014, 10:23 PM
Thanks. I have one scratch that can't be felt with a finger mail. 205 orange or white couldn't remove it. I'm assuming I can use 105 in troubled spots and 205 in others?

Also, will 105 cut throgh the clear coat to my paint?

105 is definitely a heavier cut, and it can be increased/decreased based on pressure, i've removed some heavy defects with 105, and the 205 after is a great finisher to get the gloss back... finishing with 105 is possible for some paints, but still safer to come back with 205 on white or gray to end it.

and yes you can go through clear coat if you really really focus on one spot with the 105, just use good technique and uniform paint removal. count the number of passes you make on your test spot and use only enough passes to remove the defects, then fine polish it out with the 205. don't remove more than you have to and if a scratch is deep enough, just leave it. its not worth a new paint job to get rid of one scratch because you had to take a ton of clear off.

richy
09-27-2014, 10:40 PM
It depends on what pad you use the M105 with and how aggressively you use it. As an example, I just finished a brand new metallic red Cruze that it did with that combo. It made the paint jump and the metallic shimmer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk