PDA

View Full Version : Record you polishing

Pages : [1] 2 3

AeroCleanse
09-25-2014, 07:28 PM
I thought my arm speed was good, then I video recorded myself polishing for my business. Looks like I am moving way too fast with the arm speed.

allenk4
09-25-2014, 07:41 PM
Everyone says one inch per second, but every video I see....they are moving much faster & fancier

I say "fancier", because in some videos it is not a strict cris-cross pattern either.

Rsurfer
09-25-2014, 07:42 PM
I thought my arm speed was good, then I video recorded myself polishing for my business. Looks like I am moving way too fast with the arm speed.

One inch per second is the norm.

allenk4
09-25-2014, 07:58 PM
One inch per second is the norm.

Not saying it isn't the referred standard

Not saying you are going faster or slower

Next time you are using tape for a 50/50 shot, mark it in 1" increments, you might be surprised

6" pad

12x12 section

50% overlap

6 "Passes" (up down & left right)

Takes over 7 minutes

I am always surprised at "Arm Speed Creep" during a polishing session and have to continually remind myself to moderate the pace

af90
09-25-2014, 08:08 PM
If you're getting results, there's no benefits to moving super slow Almost every video I've seen people polish much faster than the "standard". Personally I'm not a fan of the overlap method since exactly as said above it takes too long and dries out the polish. Not that you should be slinging the polisher all over the place but condition and results dependent.

allenk4
09-25-2014, 08:10 PM
Just measured the door on my Yukon....

Approximately 48"x36"

At 1" per second

50% overlap

6 passes

I get 1 hour, 48 minutes

Someone check my math

The 50% overlap makes the calculation slightly more difficult

allenk4
09-25-2014, 08:14 PM
I hope Mike Phillips chimes in on this

I also wonder about going so slow with diminishing/agglomerate compounds like FG400.

If it breaks down consistently and you always start at the upper right hand corner of the section...won't the lower right hand area of the section receive less total cutting action?

af90
09-25-2014, 08:46 PM
Just measured the door on my Yukon....

Approximately 48"x36"

At 1" per second

50% overlap

6 passes

I get 1 hour, 48 minutes

Someone check my math

The 50% overlap makes the calculation slightly more difficult

Well you would work in a 24" by 24" section (for math's sake) with a 6" pad for ease of math.

Public quick math shows 1 minute 30 seconds for a single pass in one orientation.

allenk4
09-25-2014, 09:24 PM
Well you would work in a 24" by 24" section (for math's sake) with a 6" pad for ease of math.

Public quick math shows 1 minute 30 seconds for a single pass in one orientation.

Your calculation is for zero overlap, right?

beamerstrumpet
09-25-2014, 09:26 PM
you guys really need to watch and listen to this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsOFu-AzeUM

When you say no 50% overlap , are you overlapping at all? I probably go about 15 to 25% overlap. But I do try to go slow. even more aware of it now after watching that vid.

HD.Detailing
09-25-2014, 09:34 PM
Not saying it isn't the referred standard

Not saying you are going faster or slower

Next time you are using tape for a 50/50 shot, mark it in 1" increments, you might be surprised

6" pad

12x12 section

50% overlap

6 "Passes" (up down & left right)

Takes over 7 minutes

I am always surprised at "Arm Speed Creep" during a polishing session and have to continually remind myself to moderate the pace

36 seconds/pass in your example not sure how you came up with 7 mins.

With rupes and flex 1" second is too slow imo, pc yes need to move slow

Sent from my Alien ship

af90
09-25-2014, 10:58 PM
Your calculation is for zero overlap, right?Correct, and assuming the pad cover's 6" x 6" which would be a square but adding in the dimensions of a circle was too much for me so it would actually take longer.

So 1 minute 30 or 1+30 per orientation pass would mean 3 minutes for one complete section pass, so 18 minutes for 6 full passes. Now whether 6 is needed, it seems that 3-4 inches per second may be a better "normal". Unless my math is way off.

AeroCleanse
09-25-2014, 11:16 PM
This is the video of my polishing. I swear it looks slower when I am doing it. Then I watch myself and I seem to be going a lot faster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZjAJEZ4tAM

allenk4
09-25-2014, 11:35 PM
36 seconds/pass in your example not sure how you came up with 7 mins.

With rupes and flex 1" second is too slow imo, pc yes need to move slow

Sent from my Alien ship

Yes, sticking w 6" pad for easier math

At 1" per second you would actually move the pad over a 6" x 36" section in 30 seconds.. Remember, the 6" pad only travels 30" to polish a section 6"x36"

But that does not account for the fact that the door is 48" long

With NO overlap it would be 30 seconds x 8 = 4 minutes

I get the 8 by dividing the length of the door (48") by the diameter of the pad (6")

Depends on what you call a pass...if it is up/down & left/right = one pass...then double it...so 8 minutes per pass

4 passes = 32 minutes

FUNX650
09-25-2014, 11:39 PM
This is the video of my polishing. I swear it looks slower when I am doing it. Then I watch myself and I seem to be going a lot faster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZjAJEZ4tAM
In the long run:
If you are getting the desired results from your polishing-techniques; tools (*a long-throw RUPES in this case); pads; along with your choices of polishing-liquids...I say:
What the dickens does it matter what your arm-speed is!!

Bob