PDA

View Full Version : Fender color?

Deezul
09-25-2014, 09:17 AM
Opinions on what is going on here? Only looks like this in full sun. Looks fine not in sun. Wax seems to help. Yes the fenders were repainted. Looks a little worse in pic than it is as it's dirty. The fender is a cloudy black brown. Door was never repainted(no blend as insurance won't pay). It did not initially look like this. Paint is about 8 months old. Anything I can try or do? I have contacted the shop. http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/25/7bcb77c19b8334afd82b410446b25f8c.jpg

02xtreme07SS
09-25-2014, 09:27 AM
Wrong variant of the correct paint code. Most primary paint codes have a variant that produces the 'tone' of the paint. In that case, your primary black code has a 'brownish' tone secondary code. If it bothers you (it would bother me) and if the repairs were warrantied for life, I would get in touch with your insurance company and take it back for a respray with the correct primary and secondary code.

Deezul
09-25-2014, 09:50 AM
It's under warranty for a year. I contacted the shop today. Was REALLY hoping this wasn't the case

Deezul
09-26-2014, 02:07 PM
Stopping at shop Monday. Seems like a do over to me. Not thrilled

Andr3wilson
09-26-2014, 03:03 PM
I just sanded and polished a mustang like this. The shop sprayed metallic on solid black.

This is not a warranty related thing, this is an ethics related thing.

My recommendation in this case it to leave it.

First, see if the body shop is willing to acknowledge their mistake. If not, go to your local/state Motor Vehicle board and file a case against the shop.

Body shop can extremely shady and 9/10 do not have properly trained staff and do not follow regulations. They basically gamble on the customer not having the knowledge or eye to spot mistakes.

I have seen lots of shady crappy work and urge everyone to chase these hacks down, as what they are doing is actually illegal and they can have their business licenses and papers revoked

Best of luck!

allenk4
09-26-2014, 03:15 PM
Are you sure it is not the clear coat that is causing the brownish grey hue?

Drive over to the bodyshop and show it to them?

Deezul
09-26-2014, 06:03 PM
Headed to the shop Monday. It could be clear coat. Not sure.

top189h
09-26-2014, 07:48 PM
It's a variant problem. I work in a shop and it's amazing how many variantss there are of one color car. We recently sprayed a front bumper for my fiancé's cavalier. There were 9 variants in yellow for an 04 cavalier. Get into a new black cadilac, and there are upwards of 20 variants with even different tints.

allenk4
09-26-2014, 10:33 PM
It's a variant problem. I work in a shop and it's amazing how many variantss there are of one color car. We recently sprayed a front bumper for my fiancé's cavalier. There were 9 variants in yellow for an 04 cavalier. Get into a new black cadilac, and there are upwards of 20 variants with even different tints.

Wouldn't that be leas likely on a black Ford Mustang?

There are lots of them out there

I would think that would make color matching pretty routine

02xtreme07SS
09-27-2014, 12:45 AM
Are you sure it is not the clear coat that is causing the brownish grey hue?

Drive over to the bodyshop and show it to them?

It's not the clear, it's the base. Plain and simple the shop didn't do a very good job matching the paint. He's just lucky they didn't blend anything when they resprayed the fenders because they just pulled the code, mixed, and sprayed.

Wouldn't that be leas likely on a black Ford Mustang?

There are lots of them out there

I would think that would make color matching pretty routine

Black is one of those colors that can have dozens of variants. GM 8555 black is actually broken down into truck and non-truck and then each has their own list of variants from there...and that's just one with brand of paint. This is why tools like the 3M Sun Gun came into existence. If the shop can't match it from a paint chip from the paint mfr, they will have to do some spray outs and compare them utilizing the gun or in direct sunlight until they get it right.

Deezul
09-27-2014, 04:46 PM
I'll try to post an update. Hopefully the shop takes care of it. Hood is same. Can't imagine how much hood and fenders would be out of pocket. I wish I never crashed it but things happen. I just want it right.