PDA

View Full Version : The business of detailing

harrell51
09-22-2014, 11:40 PM
What differentiates a good detailer from a great detailer. Why should a customer go to business 1 instead of business 2.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using AG Online

refreshauto
09-22-2014, 11:45 PM
knowledge.......products don't make the detailer, its knowing how to use the products that makes the difference

Loach
09-23-2014, 01:02 AM
Pretty cool question. A detailer should attempt to build an understanding of the client, in order to learn their expectations. They should be able to look over the car with the client, and instead of just trying to jump into a sale on their most efficient and profitable service, they should land the sale that's going to match or exceed the customer's expectations. If you're running your business right, you should know your cash crop services. But at the end of the day, the thing that gets your business flowing is that word of mouth advertisement based on customers that you built a relationship with that realized you weren't just throwing them into a forced sale on something they might not need or might not be able to maintain themselves (if they're the ones doing their own maintenance).

This requires good communication skills, good pre-inspection skills, and being organized to operate at maximum efficiency. Just spend some time before/after doing the work getting to know the customer, and that's something that is going to translate into loyal customers who are going to spread the word about your business and your work. And yes, understand your skillset, and offer work that you're willing to put your name to. If you're doing this for a living, you should take the time the learn the tools and the products and understand the process this work entails, and be willing to explain your services to the customers in a way they can understand.

Firehouse Mike
09-23-2014, 01:47 AM
I'm going to say customer service.

Your customers ARE your business. We can all have the best knowledge, skills and products. At the end of the day, it's going to be the customer who determines how long you will be around. Yes, do a great job with the actual work, its what is expected, but then the real work starts with maintaining that customers repeat business and their referrals to you. Be professional with appearance, demeanor and how you present yourself and your business. Make the customer feel like you really care about the services they need or may not need — because you should care! I've been in public safety for 20+ years. Its still customer service at a different level. An old saying goes - People will forget what you did, said , and how you acted; but will ALWAYS remember how you made them feel. Keep this in mind, you will go far......:dblthumb2::dblthumb2:

harrell51
09-24-2014, 12:55 PM
This was a great response, I also believe the loyalty to the client rather then the sale to the customer leads to more longevity and production which results in more profitability. Thanks to everyone for the responses.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using AG Online

Dr_Pain
09-24-2014, 01:21 PM
It is all about knowing:

1) What do you....,
2) When to do.....
3) Why do it.....
4) How to prevent it.....
...... and all the while putting the customer's needs and financial condition over your desire to fatten your pockets.

Don't get me wrong, there is no problem getting paid but you should not get "paid" at the "expense" of your customer. Otherwise said, if you have no knowledge of the products (or tools or techniques) than you should not try and get paid as a "professional" (unless you are one), otherwise you are getting paid at the expense of the customer.

Great response in the thread so far!!

Mike Phillips
09-24-2014, 01:41 PM
knowledge.......products don't make the detailer, its knowing how to use the products that makes the difference

I agree with Vargas.

Knowledge

Before hiring a detailer to detail your car you want to make sure the person or shop you hire is up to speed with all the newest and best pads, products, tools and techniques.

Because there's no industry standard for certification, (at this time), this puts the responsibility on the customer to do their due diligence when it comes to researching.

I'd also plug this discussion forum. Anyone looking for a qualified detailer to work on their car should start by joining our forum and posting a thread like this,

Pro Detailer wanted in Resume Speed, Iowa

Then when a forum member replies to the thread, learn how to click on that person's forum name and from the drop down list select,

Find More Posts by Mike Phillips

And spend some time reading the public history of said detailer. A little reading of a person's posting history and especially their write-ups will let you know if the person is up to speed or not.

At least this is what I tell everyone that contacts me looking for a qualified detailer....

:)