PDA

View Full Version : Nanoskin Pads & Mitt

Pages : [1] 2

asallwey
09-22-2014, 09:47 AM
Hello,

Ok, been reading about Nanoskin here and in the Autogeek ads. Sounds great! Cost seems higher than quality clay, but that depends on how long it lasts. So,

+ Any idea how long (e.g. how many cars) the machine pads last, say fine grit? How about the Autoscrub#Wash Mitt?

+ How do the results with the wash Autoscrub#Wash Mitt compare to using a microfiber mitt?

+ Would you say that the Autoscrub#Wash Mitt combines the process of washing and claying into one effort?

Alex

Tato
09-22-2014, 10:46 AM
For me (I have 2 towels, sponges, fine and medium mitt, and the 6" polisher adaptable pad), the Mitt is what I reach more often.

It gives better control in my opinion, but all of them works good.

The sponge is also good for small parts, but for an entire car I feel the sponge overkilling.

Medium grade is Mitt is my favorite, if I had to start all over again and order only one, that would be it (please, this is only my opinion, listen for more before deciding what will work better for you).

I can't say exactly how long it lasts, but mine still working great, about 7-8 months of regular use, well taken care of, did about 30-40 cars with it if not more...

I can't say it'll combine washing and claying because for claying I like removing the most amount of 'free contamination' first. That said, I like to wash the car, use iron-X, tar-X, and nanoskin afterwards.

If you try to use nanoskin without previously cleaning the surface thoroughly, odds are you'll 'scrub' the contaminants over the paint and increase risk of marring, micro-scratching and even scratching.

That said, I never use my 'Clay Mitt' for washing a car, just for claying a clean (but contaminated) surface, to avoid 'cross-contamination'.

Again, just my thoughts, I'm in a hurry but willing to help you if I can.

Be back late afternoon, hope that helps.

Kind Regards.

asallwey
09-22-2014, 05:45 PM
Good point about cleaning first, then using the mitt. Sounds like the mitt lasts for a quite a few cars. Hopefully a few more folks will jump in.

Tato
09-22-2014, 05:57 PM
It lasts, unless you misuse it. The lube must be 'very neutral' to avoid making it 'picky or tacky', or even damage it. Store it dry, without contacting any surface or it will melt to surface.

Glide it, don't 'Scrub it'.

If dropped you can rinse it clean, however I never dropped mine and do my best to not do it.

Those are some points I can remember now that will help keeping the durability of your nanoskin.

Kind Regards.

DownSouthDetail
09-22-2014, 06:05 PM
It lasts, unless you misuse it. The lube must be 'very neutral' to avoid making it 'picky or tacky', or even damage it. Store it dry, without contacting any surface or it will melt to surface.

Glide it, don't 'Scrub it'.

If dropped you can rinse it clean, however I never dropped mine and do my best to not do it.

Those are some points I can remember now that will help keeping the durability of your nanoskin.

Kind Regards.

Tato, how do you go about drying it and storing it?

Kamakaz1961
09-22-2014, 06:25 PM
I use the Nanoskin Blue Sponge and it has replaced my clay. It works very fast. If you drop it wipe it clean and keep on truckin. I have the 6" pad too, however, I have not used it. I have the technique of using the sponge down pretty good and can finish the car in about 15 to 20 minutes.

It is so easy to use! As for storing and drying I leave the nanoskin side up and away from any contact. You can do at least 20 (my guess) cleaning sessions. If that sounds too much, compared to clay the Nanoskin blows it away.

I know if you drop clay, that's it get a new one. Just make sure you use plenty of lubricant to use it.

I have used only the Blue sponge because I have had great success with it and I have no comment on the Yellow Sponge. When I work on a large car or SUV I will try the 6" Sponge.

Either way you will like it. Again, just store it dry with the black side facing up and nothing touching it you will be fine.

asallwey
09-22-2014, 09:47 PM
When you say sponge, do you mean either the 6" or 4" pad? Or the mitt?

Grifffx4
09-22-2014, 09:51 PM

They make a small handheld sponge that replicates they way you use clay...sort of.

Tato
09-22-2014, 10:12 PM
@DownSouthDetail: I rinse it thoroughly with water, and then squeeze it dry gently. (Simple to do, hard to explain!) - Start rolling the 'resin' face backwards in direction to the Microfiber part of the mitt. This is to avoid pressing nanoskin over nanoskin while squeezing. When you rolled it, squeeze gently to remove excess water (don't need to go crazy here, just squeeze excess water).

Then, follow Kamakaz1961 directions, "As for storing and drying I leave the nanoskin side up and away from any contact."

Here are the sponges:
Nanoskin Autoscrub Speedy Prep Sponge Combo Pack (http://www.autogeek.net/nanoskin-speedy-prep-sponge-combo.html)

They are also sold individually:
Fine:
Nanoskin Autoscrub Speedy Prep Sponge (http://www.autogeek.net/nanoskin-speedy-prep-sponge-fine-grade.html)

Medium:
Nanoskin Autoscrub Speedy Prep Sponge Medium Grade (http://www.autogeek.net/nanoskin-medium-grade-speedy-prep-sponge.html)

Optimum released a clay towel that costs half the price of nanoskin. I like Optimum products, but having not tested the towel, I cannot say to you go for it, if not to test for yourself, (and let us know)!

Looks great, indeed, and has two grades.

Fine:
Optimum Opti-Clay Towel Fine Blue, optimum clay towel (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-opti-clay-towel.html)

Heavy:
Optimum Opti-Clay Towel - Heavy Grey, clay bar towel (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-opti-clay-aggressive.html)

Another important thing to know about nanoskin is to 'Break-it on glass before using the first time on paint'.

Doing this is simple, when first using a nanoskin device work all the glass first to remove protective film it comes with, 'breaking it in'.

Kind Regards.

chet31
09-23-2014, 01:07 AM
The Nanoskin works well, but don't let it touch any organic solvent. I have had CarPro TRIX residue ruin the surface. I therefore can infer that anything like Tarminator, WD40, liquid wax, stuff like tire dressings, 303 Protectant, even clay lubes with organic solvents (which will work well with actual clay) potentially will ruin the Nanoskin surface. I have experience only with the TRIX, I infer the rest, but I don't plan to chance anything else.

BradsDetailing
09-23-2014, 01:39 AM
I believe it was 100 uses? I read it somewhere...

Unfortunately one of my family members thought it was a good idea to stick it in the dryer....not a good idea at all

tpr1634
09-23-2014, 05:41 AM
Used my wash mitt for the first time yesterday, seems just as good and faster to use.

trashmanssd
09-23-2014, 06:08 AM
Optimum Towel looks promising may have to get that to try. I figured it would only be a matter of time till price would get cut looks cheap to make price was on based on how well it worked and how quick it was with no competition. They were able to get a premium for it, but I'm guessing that any patent is for the specific formula of rubber on the towel not the idea of rubber on the towel so they tweak the rubber and get their own patent and steal the idea from who ever made the real first prep towel.

Mike Phillips
09-23-2014, 06:31 AM

I did a review when these were first introduced, they've changed them up a little but the info and pictures in the review and how to are still accurate.

Decontaminating a 1955 Ford Crown Victoria - Brilliant Shine Autoscrub Kit (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/60756-decontaminating-1955-ford-crown-victoria-brilliant-shine-autoscrub-kit.html)

To use this new Autoscrub kit to decontaminate your car you simply mist the "Smooth" onto the surface and then rub the Speedy Prep Sponge back and forth over the surface with no pressure to remove any above surface bonded contaminants.

While the instructions didn't state you needed to break the rubber polymer surface in by running it over glass first I figured it couldn't hurt and because I felt some type of contaminants on the glass I went ahead and broke the surface in on the windshield.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1761/AutoScrub_Kit_009.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1761/AutoScrub_Kit_010.jpg

:xyxthumbs:

asallwey
09-23-2014, 09:55 AM
Thanks for all the replies everyone! This looks like a good product type to try out, probably on my next order.

My initial search in the store here did not pick up the sponges, hence my question. Those towels look good too.