PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning inside glass

Pages : [1] 2 3

godfearingman
09-21-2014, 08:44 AM
Hi I was just wondering what's the way to clean and keep clean the inside of my windshield and back glass. It continues to get a film on the inside I'm guessing from the protectant on the dash and rear deck. Trying to figure out the best way to remove it and keep it off and away. Thanks in advance for everyone's help and advice.

frankprozzoly
09-21-2014, 09:07 AM
I'm gonna start cleaning glass with my duragloss spray wax and im gonna spray it on the towel instead of the glass. Might make it slicker and cause no streaks..

Not sure what you mean by your product on dash getting on the glass

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AG Online

Moldavite
09-21-2014, 09:08 AM
been using 2 towel method,
if use protectant/dressing (2 towel method)i prefer to let it air dry for at least 30 mins - 1hour by keeping all doors open

godfearingman
09-21-2014, 09:32 AM
I'm gonna start cleaning glass with my duragloss spray wax and im gonna spray it on the towel instead of the glass. Might make it slicker and cause no streaks..

guess the protectant I use on the dash heats up and fumes and makes it way to the windshield and back glass causing the fog. If it's not that what is it and what causes it?

davidc
09-21-2014, 09:35 AM

I tried that inside and out but it always seemed kind of like a oily film (the best way I can describe it). I have some fast glass towels and they work very well, then I ordered some towels from another company ( don't think I should post here ) and they sent a free glass towel with the order. Just tried it yesterday and it appeared better than the fast glass. I will probably order more from that company. They appear to be silky and 2 different textures for each side. As for keeping that film from happening I think that is impossible as everything in the vehicle is out gassing something.

Dave

aim4squirrels
09-21-2014, 09:58 AM
How old is the vehicle in question?

New vehicles have a load of chemicals that need way more time to cure out than the manufacturing process allows for. Adhesives, solvents, plastic mold release chemicals, etc. They are the toxins we call "new car smell".

Newer vehicles release more, and they these chemicals accumulate on all interior surfaces, but are most noticeable on glass as a film.

On older vehicles it is greatly reduced unless you have a heater core leak it some other accumulation of fluids in the cabin. The sun will heat them up and they'll evaporate into the car's interior air space and cling to all the surfaces therein.

If you truly do suspect your interior protectants, then let them dry with the doors open or windows down, or try a different kind that flashes faster.

godfearingman
09-21-2014, 10:02 AM
How old is the vehicle in question?

New vehicles have a load of chemicals that need way more time to cure out than the manufacturing process allows for. Adhesives, solvents, plastic mold release chemicals, etc. They are the toxins we call "new car smell".

Newer vehicles release more, and they these chemicals accumulate on all interior surfaces, but are most noticeable on glass as a film.

On older vehicles it is greatly reduced unless you have a heater core leak it some other accumulation of fluids in the cabin. The sun will heat them up and they'll evaporate into the car's interior air space and cling to all the surfaces therein.

If you truly do suspect your interior protectants, then let them dry with the doors open or windows down, or try a different kind that flashes faster.

It's a 2014 corolla

215Detailing
09-21-2014, 10:08 AM
I'm lousy at cleaning glass, but I try my steam and it seems to help and is more eco friendly

Setec Astronomy
09-21-2014, 10:10 AM
As aim4squirrels said, there is a lot of offgassing in new cars that can persist for quite some time. Also the PDMS (armor all, 303, and a host of others) dressings also tend to evaporate in the sun and deposit on the glass.

I try to use less mobile products these days like Wolfgang Cockpit Trim Sealant or Ultima Interior Guard Plus (WCTS or UIGP).

godfearingman
09-21-2014, 10:14 AM
As aim4squirrels said, there is a lot of offgassing in new cars that can persist for quite some time. Also the PDMS (armor all, 303, and a host of others) dressings also tend to evaporate in the sun and deposit on the glass.

I try to use less mobile products these days like Wolfgang Cockpit Trim Sealant or Ultima Interior Guard Plus (WCTS or UIGP).

It has right at 7,200 miles on it I've use armor all wipes on the entire interior thought the protectant was evaporating and making it's way onto the windshield and back glass. How do I remove it I've tried Stoner's Invisible glass and it works ok but still leaves streaks and or residue behind.

Setec Astronomy
09-21-2014, 10:22 AM
That residue is tough to get off...but also glass cleaning has a lot to do with towels and technique.

What kind of towel are you using? Have they been used for anything else?

frankprozzoly
09-21-2014, 10:26 AM
I'm sure everyone knows that if its outside definitely needs to be cleaned in the morning. It's almost impossible to clean glass on a warm to hot surface

godfearingman
09-21-2014, 10:31 AM
That residue is tough to get off...but also glass cleaning has a lot to do with towels and technique.

What kind of towel are you using? Have they been used for anything else?

I normally just use paper towels with invisible glass

godfearingman
09-21-2014, 10:33 AM
I'm sure everyone knows that if its outside definitely needs to be cleaned in the morning. It's almost impossible to clean glass on a warm to hot surface

Well I work third shift and get off around 7:00am and get home 7:30-8:00 is that still to late? Also it's been being around 67 by time I get off here.

Setec Astronomy
09-21-2014, 10:39 AM
I normally just use paper towels with invisible glass

Paper towels usually leave a lot of lint. That's what I used to use in the old days, but now I use a bunch of different kinds because I still can't find one I really like. Griot's makes a disposable non-linting glass towel (basically a fancy paper towel) that I usually use for windshields now (thanks, Accumulator), but I don't think they sell them here.