PDA

View Full Version : Best procedure for metallic silver

2012SilverSport
09-20-2014, 06:59 PM
Hey all. I have a silver streak metallic Toyota tacoma. I have used other quality products on it (Blackfire wet ice over fire, etc) but they seem to dull/muddy the metallic. It still looks nice and the paint is really clean. Two bucket wash, clay, Polish, wax with a PC 7424. It just seems almost like the metallic is actually muted. What do you guys have experience with (polish/wax/sealant, etc) that works good on light colored metallics? I have seen other Toyota's that are the same silver streak color that really popped. Thanks for your advice!!!:xyxthumbs:

RevitalizeAutoSpa
09-20-2014, 07:31 PM
A few of my go-to pairings for silvers\light blues\etc.

Meguiar's M205 and Lake Country White Polishing Pad
Meguiar's D302 and Meguiar's Microfiber Polishing Disc
Menzerna SF2500 and Lake Country White Polishing Pad

Following LSPs are ones I've found to work well with many paint colors:
Menzerna Color Lock caranuba wax
Blackfire Wet Diamond sealant
CarPro Reload or HydrO2 spray coatings
CarPro CQuartzUK coating

expdetailing
09-20-2014, 07:49 PM
A few of my go-to pairings for silverslight bluesetc.

Meguiar's M205 and Lake Country White Polishing Pad
Meguiar's D302 and Meguiar's Microfiber Polishing Disc
Menzerna SF2500 and Lake Country White Polishing Pad

Following LSPs are ones I've found to work well with many paint colors:
Menzerna Color Lock caranuba wax
Blackfire Wet Diamond sealant
CarPro Reload or HydrO2 spray coatings
CarPro CQuartzUK coating

Could you please explain why you made specific recommendations of polishes and pads for silver paint? I would think your recommendations would be criteria for what to use on a certain clearcoat based on its specified softness/hardness.
One of the reasons I ask,RevitalizeAutoSpa, is because I notice the only paint correcting product worthwhile on my 2012 silver paint w/ clearcoat on my Dodge is aggressive compound. Polishes take waaaay too long to do anything to my clearcoat that it's becoming a losing battle to use anything less aggressive than a compound.
For the OP, sorry if this is a mini-hijack, but there maybe something in an answer that'll come our way based on my question. Also, 4Star UPP, IME, makes any paint pop. I highly recommend it.

2012SilverSport
09-20-2014, 08:55 PM
Expdetailing, no problems, all good questions! I am sure I am not the only one who has experienced spending a lot of time trying to get that perfect pop and found a lot of different results with different gear. Thanks for the recommendations, I will research those also.

Revitalizeautospa: Thank you for the recommendations!! Of the "pairings" of polishes and pads you mentioned, do you find one more abrasive than the other?
I keep reading about very positive results using the CarPro CQuartzUK. Are the results the same regardless of color (both my black Honda and silver Toyota?

DylansDetailing
09-20-2014, 09:02 PM
I own a billet silver metallic acura MDX. Its a daily driver that sits outside almost 24/7 so i use BFWD. I do weekly waterless washes with UWW+ and Meguiars D156 spray wax

2012SilverSport
09-20-2014, 09:49 PM
I own a billet silver metallic acura MDX. Its a daily driver that sits outside almost 24/7 so i use BFWD. I do weekly waterless washes with UWW+ and Meguiars D156 spray wax

Thanks for the info. The kit I have uses the BFWD sealant followed by BF Midnight sun ivory carnauba wax. I must be doing something wrong? Just seems like it doesn't really pop. Maybe I need to polish better, I have done the Baggie test and it is really slick before I apply the sealant. Should I wipe it down with something following the polish? Is it possible I still have some oils from the polish that are muting the sealant?

FUNX650
09-20-2014, 10:00 PM
You may like SON1C Wax's Carnaubavore,
for an LSP on your silver vehicle.

I know I like it on Light Pewter Metallic---"a silver-ish color".
It doesn't ever mute the flake, IMO.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/SON1CWAX_02_1.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/SON1CWAX_02_3.jpg

Bob

dcjredline
09-20-2014, 10:18 PM
In my limited experience I have found that Pinnacle Liquid Souvern works AWESOME on silver metallic. Second choice would be Meguiars #26 yellow wax. Both make the metallic POP. Id also like to add a couple other non LSPs to the mix. XMT360 (its an all in one) and The Duragloss Ceramic coating system. Both have made the metallics stand up on light colored cars I have done.

custmsprty
09-20-2014, 10:38 PM
DoDo Juice Light Fantastic is awesome!

Sicoupe
09-21-2014, 12:50 AM

Bobthat paint looks so wet in the first pic! Great work:)

RevitalizeAutoSpa
09-21-2014, 06:52 AM
Could you please explain why you made specific recommendations of polishes and pads for silver paint? I would think your recommendations would be criteria for what to use on a certain clearcoat based on its specified softness/hardness.
One of the reasons I ask,RevitalizeAutoSpa, is because I notice the only paint correcting product worthwhile on my 2012 silver paint w/ clearcoat on my Dodge is aggressive compound. Polishes take waaaay too long to do anything to my clearcoat that it's becoming a losing battle to use anything less aggressive than a compound.
For the OP, sorry if this is a mini-hijack, but there maybe something in an answer that'll come our way based on my question. Also, 4Star UPP, IME, makes any paint pop. I highly recommend it.

Sure thing! What I use depends on the condition of the paint (how many defects, type\severity of them), how hard it seems to be, and the customer's expectations and budgets. Since lighter paints typically don't show defects nearly as much as darker paints, a lot of times a polish is enough to make most clients happy.

In my experience, recent Dodge paint is typically very hard.

Also, if you're regularly having to use a compound you need to take a look at your washing routine. Careful hand washing with the two bucket method, good shampoo, and high-quality wash media should mean you only need to polish out once or twice a year.

Expdetailing, no problems, all good questions! I am sure I am not the only one who has experienced spending a lot of time trying to get that perfect pop and found a lot of different results with different gear. Thanks for the recommendations, I will research those also.

Revitalizeautospa: Thank you for the recommendations!! Of the "pairings" of polishes and pads you mentioned, do you find one more abrasive than the other?
I keep reading about very positive results using the CarPro CQuartzUK. Are the results the same regardless of color (both my black Honda and silver Toyota?

The M205 and PF2500 are more aggressive than the D302.

More aggressive pairings:

Meguiar's M105 or Menzerna FG400 and Lake Country Purple Foamed Wool Pad, Yellow Cutting Pad or Orange Light Cutting Pad
Meguiar's D300 and Meguiar's Microfiber DA Cutting Disc

Here's some work I did on a BMW M3 in Silverstone II a few months ago:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/82510-2008-bmw-e90-m3-first-customer-new-state.html

Dmb5450
09-21-2014, 07:14 AM
I use the same products you mentioned in the first post (BFWD and BFMS) I really love the results. I am not sure if you can see in the pictures, but you can see the metallic flakes pretty well, especially in the sun. I also go over the midnight sun with crystal mist, that seems to make the paint more vibrant, in my mind anyway. I tried other products and got the muted results you spoke of while you were using the Black Fire products. I personally will only use Black Fire for my silver.

2012SilverSport
09-21-2014, 08:49 AM

Bob

Good work, it looks amazing. THAT is what I am striving for!!!

2012SilverSport
09-21-2014, 08:58 AM
Sure thing! What I use depends on the condition of the paint (how many defects, typeseverity of them), how hard it seems to be, and the customer's expectations and budgets. Since lighter paints typically don't show defects nearly as much as darker paints, a lot of times a polish is enough to make most clients happy.

In my experience, recent Dodge paint is typically very hard.

Also, if you're regularly having to use a compound you need to take a look at your washing routine. Careful hand washing with the two bucket method, good shampoo, and high-quality wash media should mean you only need to polish out once or twice a year.

The M205 and PF2500 are more aggressive than the D302.

More aggressive pairings:

Meguiar's M105 or Menzerna FG400 and Lake Country Purple Foamed Wool Pad, Yellow Cutting Pad or Orange Light Cutting Pad
Meguiar's D300 and Meguiar's Microfiber DA Cutting Disc

Here's some work I did on a BMW M3 in Silverstone II a few months ago:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/82510-2008-bmw-e90-m3-first-customer-new-state.html

WOW, that was a lot of work with AMAZING results!!

2012SilverSport
09-21-2014, 09:02 AM
I use the same products you mentioned in the first post (BFWD and BFMS) I really love the results. I am not sure if you can see in the pictures, but you can see the metallic flakes pretty well, especially in the sun. I also go over the midnight sun with crystal mist, that seems to make the paint more vibrant, in my mind anyway. I tried other products and got the muted results you spoke of while you were using the Black Fire products. I personally will only use Black Fire for my silver.

Awesome job!! I will give the crystal mist a shot once I get this muted look polished out. Thank you for everyone with your recommendations and guidance!!