PDA

View Full Version : Touch up Paint and Reflections

BlackRam
09-20-2014, 04:43 PM
Hey guys-
I have touched up 3 spots on my truck and frankly they look like cr*p. Now Granted I did not use DR. Color Chip, Langka, nor sand paper so it is my own fault, but how does a touch up spot achieve the shine and gloss that the rest of the paint has? If it is smoothed out with one of the above 3 methods, will it not look like a black spec (my truk is black) against a mirror finish, but instead blend in with the rest of the paint?

Also is adding Clear on top necessary? I rarely hear people who do touch up add clear

thanks all
mike

TurboToys
09-20-2014, 07:40 PM
Hey guys-
I have touched up 3 spots on my truck and frankly they look like cr*p. Now Granted I did not use DR. Color Chip, Langka, nor sand paper so it is my own fault, but how does a touch up spot achieve the shine and gloss that the rest of the paint has? If it is smoothed out with one of the above 3 methods, will it not look like a black spec (my truk is black) against a mirror finish, but instead blend in with the rest of the paint?

Also is adding Clear on top necessary? I rarely hear people who do touch up add clear

thanks all
mike

theres more than a few ways to do touchup. you can either do it like the dr colorchip system which leaves a little divet, but looks decent.

or you can go as far as doing multiple layers until it pops out then wetsanding it back down flat.

it's up to your skill level and what you feel comfortable with doing, if you go over and buff that touch up spot, it will shine, but it will also be noticeable.

dont bother with clearcoat touchup, using a clearcoat touchup is more viable when you have a deep scratch that is in the clear, but not down to the basecoat. other than that, a single stage color works good for regular color touchups.

lyodbraun
09-20-2014, 08:22 PM
Like above you can do it lots of ways.. But there is also the over filing it method and using leveling solvent to level it out once the paint has hardened and cured some..

BlackRam
09-21-2014, 05:10 AM
Cool. Thank you

BillE
09-21-2014, 06:44 AM
Like above you can do it lots of ways.. But there is also the over filing it method and using leveling solvent to level it out once the paint has hardened and cured some..

Okay, I'm a bit on the slow side...but what is 'leveling solvent?'

Bill

Setec Astronomy
09-21-2014, 07:07 AM
Okay, I'm a bit on the slow side...but what is 'leveling solvent?'

Bill

He's talking about Langka or Dr. Colorchip. Or you can do it with some laquer thinner, some cloth, and a credit card or similar.

BillE
09-21-2014, 07:26 AM
He's talking about Langka or Dr. Colorchip. Or you can do it with some laquer thinner, some cloth, and a credit card or similar.

Duh!

I just didn't have enough coffee (or it hadn't hit)...got it!

I kinda thought there may have been a new 'magic' solvent out there.

Thanx!

Bill

Setec Astronomy
09-21-2014, 07:42 AM
I dunno, my magic solvent is the 5000 grit sanding discs I bought for my GG 3", but I haven't used them yet.

TurboToys
09-21-2014, 11:19 AM
dont worry too much about the appearance of chips and scratches... you will ALWAYS see them, it's your ride, you know where every flaw is. as long as it is decent and not off color you'll be fine. most people won't notice unless you get that guy that loves to critique every square inch of a car.