PDA

View Full Version : drying issue

Pages : [1] 2

godfearingman
09-20-2014, 09:57 AM
Hi I hope I'm not double posting but I was wondering how I prevent fine scratches when drying my black car. I use and xxl microfiber towel and keep it washed and clean and it still leaves fine scratches any help and or advice is greatly appreciated thanks in advance

jamesboyy
09-20-2014, 10:57 AM
Try dampening the towel or use something like ONR and a damp towel also try soft patting method instead of dragging

cfiiman
09-20-2014, 11:02 AM
Hi I hope I'm not double posting but I was wondering how I prevent fine scratches when drying my black car. I use and xxl microfiber towel and keep it washed and clean and it still leaves fine scratches any help and or advice is greatly appreciated thanks in advance

If it were me I would check to make sure your media that you are touching your paint with is not contaminated. I know that I induced some swirls, scratches by not properly caring/storing my wash and drying media properly. After a month long correction I am now taking a lot of extra precautions to prevent scratching which include:

1. Constantly checking anything that touches my paint for any sign of grit, etc.

2. Washing anything that touches my car after it is used, before it touches the paint again, this includes wash mitts.

3. I store all my car stuff in plastic drawer containers instead of in a cabinet where little flecks of stuff would drop on them.

4. Using fresh (replaced at specific time intervals so they don't get too contaminated) wash mitts and using 2 of them, one for upper paint, one for lower paint areas.

5. Using different wash/dry media for my garage queen than a do much dirtier daily drivers (may not apply to everyone)

I also try to avoid "removing dust" with anything lately b/c even though I bought Griot's waterless car wash I just can't bring myself to use it after doing all the work to correct the paint. I 'm sure it would be fine but just don't like the feeling I get. I know that you said you think your drying is causing the problem, I'm just proposing any of the above could do it and thinking the drying causing the problem could actually be it, or it could be a "red herring", good luck!

godfearingman
09-20-2014, 08:07 PM
I don't see any scratches until I drag the drying towel across the car.

lyodbraun
09-20-2014, 08:17 PM
Blow dry the car... Touchless and won't leave any marks.. People always look at me when I do my truck with my blower LOL.. but it works wonders...

KMdef9
09-20-2014, 08:27 PM
Sheet the water for your final rinse across the car.

Optional: Electric blower most, don't waste your time trying to blow off every last drop, I like to do the cracks and flat areas mostly.

Move vehicle into a shaded area to allow for more dry time so you don't rush.

Mist the panel or mist a damp MF towel with QD, ONR or AMMO Hydrate and dry the rest, ringing and flipping the MF each panel.

SYMAWD
09-20-2014, 08:42 PM
I don't see any scratches until I drag the drying towel across the car.

Because the water on the car is probably hiding the fine scratches.

Just watch: Aston Martin Rapide: 8 Easy Steps for Exterior Spring Cleaning - YouTube (http://youtu.be/mFwNOLWjpuU?t=8m32s)

godfearingman
09-21-2014, 01:29 AM
I don't have swirls have fine scratches going the same direction of the towel sliding across the car and if I just let the car dry naturally it spots. I have a 160mph leaf blower but it's not powerful enough to blow off the water.

Don M
09-21-2014, 08:36 AM
One of the things I have to keep reminding myself is that my car is a daily driver. It sees 100 miles a day on the highway, it has 160,000 miles on it and it's 8 years old.

It's not going to be perfect ... ever and I have to learn to accept that and just get it as close to "perfect" as I can realistically do and be happy knowing that compared to 99% of the cars out there, mine looks better than showroom.

Moldavite
09-21-2014, 09:13 AM
Sheet the water for your final rinse across the car.

Optional: Electric blower most, don't waste your time trying to blow off every last drop, I like to do the cracks and flat areas mostly.

Move vehicle into a shaded area to allow for more dry time so you don't rush.

Mist the panel or mist a damp MF towel with QD, ONR or AMMO Hydrate and dry the rest, ringing and flipping the MF each panel.

This is by far the best method i can think of :xyxthumbs:

Moldavite
09-21-2014, 09:16 AM
another method which can save in long run... ;)

CR Spotless Water Systems, deionization system, water de-ionizer, purified water systems, cr-spotless, spot free rinse, spot free car washing (http://www.autogeek.net/cr-spotless-water-systems.html)

Mizzoutiger
09-21-2014, 09:31 AM
Key cause of swirls...poor wash and dry process. I always use 2-bucket method with double grit guards in wash/rinse buckets (and yes use 3rd bucket separate for wheels). I use foam gun w/quality soap and CarPro Wool Wash Mitts (one for upper portion of car, one for lower). Sheet water then use Metro Master Blaster (filtered, heated air) then pat dry w/CG V7 dampened Guzzler MF towels & car to get remaining water spots & add protection/shine.

godfearingman
09-21-2014, 09:33 AM
I can't afford the metro master blaster I'd like to have one but not in the cards right now.

Mizzoutiger
09-21-2014, 09:39 AM
Before Metro, I used Sears Craftsman Variable Speed Electric Leaf Blower...worked fine too.

godfearingman
09-21-2014, 09:40 AM
I have a 160 mph blower built into my shopvac but it doesn't have enough power to blow the water off.