PDA

View Full Version : California water blade

emaxxman
06-13-2006, 09:39 PM
Does anyone use the California water blade? I've had one for years to get most of the water off and then towel dried.

Now that I know more about proper paint care, I've been questionin whether the blade is really safe for my paint? The blade is amazingly flexible and soft still. I don't see any scratches that could be attributed to blade but then again...http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif I've got a lot of swirls and oxidation that could easily hide light scratches.

Any special techniques I should follow when using the blade?

For the record, I now use the blade to get most of the water off and then use a large waffle weave microfiber towel to dry. I also use a two bucket method to wash the car. I have the PC...just need to save up some money for the polishing pads and foam gun.

I would still like to use the blade as it makes drying the car so much faster...but would stop if it is considered to be a scratch maker.

abrcrombe
06-13-2006, 09:43 PM
I don't know if it scratches the paint, but the sound it makes is enough to make me not use it.

Neothin
06-13-2006, 10:13 PM
the water blade itself is fine, it isnt going to scratch your paint.

what IS going to scratch the paint is that one little spec of dirt that floated onto the car after you cleaned the panel or that one dirt particle that the sheepskin mitt missed. the blade will drag that particle across the panel and cause a nice swirl mark. This is why i don't use them.

If you do choose to use them, wipe them after EACH stroke.

Excessive Detail
06-13-2006, 10:37 PM
I use it regularly without any problems, just make sure you wipe it before and each time you make a pass on your paint.

joe.p
06-13-2006, 10:47 PM

what IS going to scratch the paint is that one little spec of dirt that floated onto the car after you cleaned the panel or that one dirt particle that the sheepskin mitt missed. the blade will drag that particle across the panel and cause a nice swirl mark. This is why i don't use them.

If you do choose to use them, wipe them after EACH stroke.
This happen to my boss'es black Caddy,right on the top of his hood. And it ain't
purrrty.
I didn't see a problem using one if it was used correctly,but not anymore. If you guys could have seen the look on his face when i told i him couldn't buff it out, and maybe he should be looking towards a wet sand or even a new paint job .

Surfer
06-13-2006, 10:52 PM
I have one and none of our vehicles have had a scratch mark b/c of it (though the sound it makes may make you think otherwise lol). I don't really use it anymore b/c as long as you have a good detail you can use the water hose and let the water flow normally and it will sheet off the vehicle. My truck is topped with Natty's Blue and when I do this there is barely any water left on it when it sheets off.

mingraygt
06-20-2006, 04:40 PM

If you do choose to use them, wipe them after EACH stroke.A micro fiber towel would do the same thing if theres a spec of dirt on the paint.

ScottB
06-20-2006, 05:26 PM
A micro fiber towel would do the same thing if theres a spec of dirt on the paint.

not always ... the knap of the microfiber can actually pull the contaminent up and away from the finish. Whereas the rubber blade can only grind it into the paint.

BILL
06-20-2006, 05:29 PM
I'D pass on the blade......;)

ScottB
06-20-2006, 05:45 PM
I'D pass on the blade......;)

works well in the shower !!! :awesome:

dengood1
06-20-2006, 06:07 PM
I would recommend a mf towel for you killr, but if you want to squeegee yourself off, then go for it:D :righton:

OCDetails
06-20-2006, 10:26 PM
I use one on cars that I'm going to polish anyway. I figure, what difference does it make if it scratches the paint when I'm just going to bust out a cutting polish in a few minutes anyway? On my own cars I use it to clear off the water on the glass. That's about it though. Honestly, if you have any sort of protectant on your paint then the water just sloughs off with a slow stream of water anyway. What point is there in using a water blade to get the half dozen drops of water off the paint?

joe.p
06-20-2006, 10:47 PM
I use one on cars that I'm going to polish anyway. I figure, what difference does it make if it scratches the paint when I'm just going to bust out a cutting polish in a few minutes anyway? On my own cars I use it to clear off the water on the glass. That's about it though. Honestly, if you have any sort of protectant on your paint then the water just sloughs off with a slow stream of water anyway. What point is there in using a water blade to get the half dozen drops of water off the paint?
Holy Crap!! Look what the wind blew inn :cheers:

BILL
06-21-2006, 06:48 AM
Holy Crap!! Look what the wind blew inn :cheers:

HI, JOE'S BEEN HERE.......:cheers: