PDA

View Full Version : 2 Iron-X Questions

Charleston
09-18-2014, 09:01 PM
1. Is it safe to use on white single stage paint? (Toyota Landcruiser 1995)

2. Does it ever expire? I have a bottle I bought about a 1-2 years ago I used a few times, but now it has been sitting in garage.

jamesboyy
09-18-2014, 09:24 PM
1) Not too sure, however iron x will most likely create an exothermic reaction on single stage paint meaning your paint will expand slightly releasing the iron particles easier when comes time to rinse therefore test on a hidden spot to see how it affects your paint system first if you shall want to proceed

2) in general products have a 5 to 7 year self life thought just shake up the product good then test on a hidden spot on your wheel or sometime exhaust tips to see if it still turns purple and or cleans the surface

PiPUK
09-19-2014, 01:38 AM
however iron x will most likely create an exothermic reaction on single stage paint meaning your paint will expand slightly releasing the iron particles

This is a bit of information which has been doing the rounds for years. I do not know where it has come from but I believe it is utter nonsense. For starters, exothermic reactions are hardly unusual, there are numerous such reactions when cleaning a car. If the reaction is exothermic, it will have nothing to do with the paint type, the reaction is with the iron - it will do the same thing on all paint, the only difference would be how the paint reacts to the heat. Now, the most important part... have you ever physically noticed a rise in temperature when you use iron-X? Do you notice the panels steaming as the water in the product evaporates away unnaturally?! No, because it doesn't happen. In fact, within the limits of what I can measure, there is no increase in temperature.

So put this into perspective. At best, there would be a fraction of a degree increase in temperature. If this is enough to release the iron, then why is the iron there at all? If you wash the car with hot water, you will raise the temperature by much much more, the paint will expand much more, so why doesn't that release the iron? When you leave your car in the sunlight or heat of the day, the panels can get so hot that you can barely touch them. So, if a bit of heat and paint swelling leads to iron release, why doesn't the iron just fall out?

A clarification on how these products work. It is NOT due to swelling! There is a complex reaction (that is the chemical terminology) where the active ingredient literally acts like a magnet for the fallout. The ingredient sticks to the fallout, once it has reacted, the fallout becomes water soluble and the complex of active ingredient and fallout becomes purple (and literally washes away). The next molecule of active comes along and the process repeats until either the active is used up or the fallout is totally dissolved. There is no swelling going on.

EVOlved
09-19-2014, 02:09 AM
PiP that explanation is fantastic. Never really wondered about it but that is incredible to know.

oldmodman
09-19-2014, 07:55 PM
No problem with white single stage paint. I just did an eleven year old Toyota and it took care of all the rail dust that had probably been there since it was new.

jamesboyy
09-19-2014, 09:28 PM
Nicely explained PIP you explained the iron-x methodology so all can now understand when they encounter single stage paintworks with iron-x though might I add like stated before that all vehicles have different "skin types" paint systems, thus products effect them differently so when in doubt always try in a hidden area first

swanicyouth
09-20-2014, 07:04 AM
This is a bit of information which has been doing the rounds for years. I do not know where it has come from but I believe it is utter nonsense. For starters, exothermic reactions are hardly unusual, there are numerous such reactions when cleaning a car. If the reaction is exothermic, it will have nothing to do with the paint type, the reaction is with the iron - it will do the same thing on all paint, the only difference would be how the paint reacts to the heat. Now, the most important part... have you ever physically noticed a rise in temperature when you use iron-X? Do you notice the panels steaming as the water in the product evaporates away unnaturally?! No, because it doesn't happen. In fact, within the limits of what I can measure, there is no increase in temperature.

So put this into perspective. At best, there would be a fraction of a degree increase in temperature. If this is enough to release the iron, then why is the iron there at all? If you wash the car with hot water, you will raise the temperature by much much more, the paint will expand much more, so why doesn't that release the iron? When you leave your car in the sunlight or heat of the day, the panels can get so hot that you can barely touch them. So, if a bit of heat and paint swelling leads to iron release, why doesn't the iron just fall out?

A clarification on how these products work. It is NOT due to swelling! There is a complex reaction (that is the chemical terminology) where the active ingredient literally acts like a magnet for the fallout. The ingredient sticks to the fallout, once it has reacted, the fallout becomes water soluble and the complex of active ingredient and fallout becomes purple (and literally washes away). The next molecule of active comes along and the process repeats until either the active is used up or the fallout is totally dissolved. There is no swelling going on.

Too bad. I was planning on just parking my car in the sun to get all the iron off.