PDA

View Full Version : Is my wash process still causing swirls?

Pages : [1] 2

olenderc
09-17-2014, 10:05 PM
To make a long story short, I coated (PBL Paint Coating) my black Subaru back in June after polishing. For a couple wash cycles, the car was rinsed with a hose, prior to a traditional 2 bucket method wash with CG Wash/Clear, and always blown dry with an electric leaf blower.

Few weeks later I decided to step my regimen up and purchased an electric pressure washer and foam cannon attachment. Since then I've been pre-soaking with Bilt-Hamber Snow Foam, then following with a traditional 2 bucket wash with either CG Wash/Clear or Mr. Pink.

The car is practically spotless following the pre-soak rinse, I feel I'm maximally reducing the amount of dirt on the paint prior to physically touching it with my Incredimitt wash mitt. I take very good care of the wash mitt and only use it for washing the paint and only via a 2 bucket wash. Yet I can't seem to get away from minor swirling.

Could it be swirls from previous washes prior to stepping up to a pre-soak step? Or could it be my wash mitt? I've heard nothing but good things about the Incredimitt wash mitt and the quality and construction/material seem top notch. I can't possibly think of another thing to do/not do to help with swirling. Any insight is greatly appreciated. I plan on re-polishing and re-coating with CQuartz UK next spring, but I'd like to figure this conundrum out so I don't encounter the same problem next time around.

expdetailing
09-17-2014, 10:17 PM
olenderc,
I don't know what PBL uses for their coating, but I would guess almost any coating would be softer than any clear coat. Maybe coatings are easily marred/scratched/swirled.
Also, you could try using three dedicated wash media; one for the roof and upper halves of the doors, the second for the lower half of the car, and the third for the wheels.
You might also try dumping your rinse bucket half-way through, and filling with fresh water for the last half of the car.
Furthermore, make sure to clean-out the wash bucket that cleans the wheels after every wash.

mswerb
09-17-2014, 10:18 PM
I am not familiar with "Paint Coating", but is it possible that the amount of washes and use of the pressure washer has caused the coating to fade? Maybe it just needs to be reapplied?

olenderc
09-17-2014, 10:30 PM
olenderc,
I don't know what PBL uses for their coating, but I would guess almost any coating would be softer than any clear coat. Maybe coatings are easily marred/scratched/swirled.
Also, you could try using three dedicated wash media; one for the roof and upper halves of the doors, the second for the lower half of the car, and the third for the wheels.
You might also try dumping your rinse bucket half-way through, and filling with fresh water for the last half of the car.
Furthermore, make sure to clean-out the wash bucket that cleans the wheels after every wash.

I was also beginning to wonder if the coating itself is was is easily marred, much so more than the clear coat. However, I thought the general consensus on coatings were that they are generally harder than factory clear coat? Maybe I'm wrong to assume that, or only certain coatings?

Separate wash media is pushing it, seems a little rediculous to have to go that extreme. I thought I was already going above and beyond with a pre-soak with a pretty strong snow foam, pressure washer rinse and following up with a 2BM wash. I can't see how it would help regardless, eventually the lower areas (in theory) would still end up being swirled up since you're still using the same wash mitt in the same area repeatedly. You would just be protecting more-so the upper half of the car as there likely isn't as much accumulated dirt.

What is surprising to me is how many people I've heard claim they maintain their finish swirl free, despite having much harsher wash methods. For example, you can't tell me someone maintains a more "swirl-free finish" doing rinseless wash methods compared to what I'm doing, it just doesn't make any sense. Rather frustrating when I think about how many precautions I try to employ to prevent swirls. Makes me feel like the guys who claim they don't have swirls are just full of it or blind.

olenderc
09-17-2014, 10:31 PM
I am not familiar with "Paint Coating", but is it possible that the amount of washes and use of the pressure washer has caused the coating to fade? Maybe it just needs to be reapplied?

Reapplying the coating would not reduce or eliminate the swirls unfortunately. The swirls would need to be polished away.

fly07sti
09-17-2014, 11:19 PM
I haven't used the PBL line. I have used UK numerous times, and it's "hardness" is much better then a few other coatings I've used. For soft Subie paint, I'd just re-polish (cause I know those swirls are bugging you) and UK/Reload it. Your wash process is not the problem at all.

expdetailing
09-17-2014, 11:39 PM
So, I take it the same sponge you wash the lower rocker panels, wheel well lip, and the mudflap areas with is the only sponge you use? That's a red flag, I think. May be I could talk you into a two wash media approach. One for the upper half and one for the lower half, and never mixing them up. Then using brushes only for the wheels.

bigbadbp7
09-17-2014, 11:41 PM
Maybe you did not get all the swirls out in the first place? Did you IPA wipe after polishing?

Detailer Daemon
09-17-2014, 11:49 PM
Or perhaps road dust was dispersed by the wind while you were driving causing the swirls?

MattPersman
09-18-2014, 05:11 AM
It's a black subaru those swirl when the wind blows. Try different wash media and see if that adds to or stays the same before doing any correction yet.

swanicyouth
09-18-2014, 08:08 AM
First off - people who say they maintain black cars without swirls aren't "full of it". Because, my cars have no swirls - and I'm pickier than almost anyone else. When I do a test spot, I actually drive the car to the gas station at night to inspect the finish under their lights before proceeding (after inspecting under sunlight, etc..)

It sounds like you are doing everything right. I don't believe coatings do a single thing to prevent marring. I can't explain it scientifically - other than enough people have experienced it - so the reality doesn't match the theory.

How long does it take you to wash a car? Because, a lot of this is just technique based. It depends how careful you are. If your going too fast - your likely not being as careful as can be.

There are a few other things you could do:

1. Hose the mitt off before putting in the rinse bucket.

2. Spray a layer of conventional snow foam on the panel before washing it for extra line.

3. Mix your shampoo 2x the dilution for extra lube.

Zubair
09-18-2014, 09:26 AM
Subarus have really soft paint and swirl up fast, also no matter what precautions one takes, swirls will inevitably appear, such is life. You cant polish every few months but you can use filler heavy products like SRP or BlackHole/White Diamond

booSTIng
09-18-2014, 09:50 AM
Subarus have really soft paint and swirl up fast, also no matter what precautions one takes, swirls will inevitably appear, such is life. You cant polish every few months but you can use filler heavy products like SRP or BlackHole/White Diamond
I agree with this. I have an OBP STI that is impossible to keep swirl free however you can stay pretty close to it as long as you are extra careful with washing and drying. Multiple wash mitts is also something I have seen work for me.
Subaru paint is just really soft, it will swirl if you look at it wrong.

Good luck.

conman1395
09-18-2014, 11:25 AM
I always use at least two mitts. Usually 3.

conman1395
09-18-2014, 11:28 AM
Then add 1oz of ONR to the wash bucket. I used to get a few minor swirls when washing my dad's black Porsche. Ever since I started adding ONR I've had close to none. Same thing for my current and past Acura and the other two (mother and father's) Acuras in the garage as well.