PDA

View Full Version : Big foot 21 question!

Hpkazan
09-17-2014, 11:41 AM
Hey guys, first post here.

I got some questions about the Rupes Bigfoot.

I have zero experience with those new DA's.

I detail cars in a dealership and I want to go away from the big 'ole Dewalts rotary etc. I want my own polisher and at same time embrace new technology.

My question is , if I get the big gun, the 21, how do I deal with small panels and gaps ? Can I change the backing plate on the fly to a smaller one like I would with a rotary ?

If not, then I must buy the small rupes along with it? That would cost near 1000$ already..

Anyway thanks guys !

haris300
09-17-2014, 12:55 PM
For small panels, bumpers, pillars, etc, it helps to have something like a Griot's Garage 3 inch mini-polisher or another cheap DA like a Porter Cable 7424 with a 3 inch backing plate. It also comes in handy for restoring headlights! A worthy investment if you ask me. Makes life a lot easy. The Rupes minis are great but if you're doing production work at a dealership, you can get by with something cheaper.

Mike Phillips
09-17-2014, 01:05 PM
For doing production work at a dealership and trying to transition away from a rotary buffer, I'd go with a Flex 3401. Tons of power, forced rotation/oscillation and lots of pad options.

Just be sure to also get a quality compound, polish and cleaner/wax. Don't try to use cheap stuff with DA Polishers of any style as you'll simply move away from putting holograms into paint and into putting DA Haze into paint.

:)

trekkeruss
09-17-2014, 01:14 PM
I'd go with a Flex 3401. Tons of power, forced rotation/oscillation and lots of pad options.

And for those areas too small/awkward for the 3401, (I assume) the new Flex that is going to be unveiled at SEMA. :xyxthumbs:

Hpkazan
09-17-2014, 01:31 PM
Wow thanks for the quick replies guys! :)

Well I would conside using the polisher for myself (outside dealership jobs, my own car, gf's car etc.), so I still consider the Rupes as my future tool..

I'll look into the Flex DA though.

Yes Griot's garage for small panels seems a good idea to save cash. If money allows I'll definitly go for the other Rupes but it's good to have some cheaper alternative on hand.

Mike, when you mean cheap polishes , do you consider 3M perfect-it cheap products..? Because that is what we mainly use
here, and if I go crazy and order a bunch of high end products the powers that be will yell pretty bad.. You know how dealerships are.

Mike Phillips
09-17-2014, 02:22 PM
Mike, when you mean cheap polishes , do you consider 3M perfect-it cheap products..?

Nope... 3M products are not cheap or inexpensive and they use high quality materials in their products.

That said, at the time I'm writing this 3M does not offer any product where on the label it states it can be used or was formulated for use with any type of DA polisher.

Read my article here, don't scan it and look at the pictures.

For Use with Rotary Buffer Only - Read the Directions (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/70216-use-rotary-buffer-only-read-directions.html)

Because that is what we mainly use here, and if I go crazy and order a bunch of high end products the powers that be will yell pretty bad..

Sorry and sad to say but you're fighting a war you cannot win by trying to do quality work at a dealership. The owner doesn't care, the manager doesn't care, no one there cares except the guy doing the work and they'll feed you to the dogs before they'll listen to your suggestions about doing quality work.

And "yes" I know there are a handful of dealerships that do quality work and I know we have a handful of guys on this forum that work at dealerships and do quality work but all you guys are the EXCEPTION TO THE RULE not the norm.

You know how dealerships are.

Yes I do. I've been undoing the damage caused by detailers at detail shops all my life. Here's four articles on this topic,

2014 BMW 535i - Removing Dealership Holograms, Swirls and Scratches (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/81125-2014-bmw-535i-removing-dealership-holograms-swirls-scratches.html)

DISO = The Dealership Installed Swirl Option (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/28401-diso-dealership-installed-swirl-option.html)

DON'T WASH CAR !!!!!!!!!!! (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/66855-don-t-wash-car.html)

The story of 3 H's - Horrendous, Horror Story and Hack Detailers... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/28142-story-3-h-s-horrendous-horror-story-hack-detailers.html)

I can probably find you more articles...

:dunno:

HUMP DIESEL
09-17-2014, 02:33 PM
Mike,
Would this not be a tailored made time for Megs DA Correction System? It would get the OP into DA correction and at least get him some quality results....As far as dealership detailing...Dont forget that Paul Dalton (Miracle Detail) started out in a dealership.

HUMP

Mike Phillips
09-17-2014, 03:16 PM
Mike,
Would this not be a tailored made time for Megs DA Correction System? It would get the OP into DA correction and at least get him some quality results....

Great point! And yes, I agree the Meguiar's Microfiber DA Correction System is tailor made for this type of work. The key would be getting the dealership to pay for the pads and products.

As far as dealership detailing...Dont forget that Paul Dalton (Miracle Detail) started out in a dealership.

HUMP

Like I said, there are exceptions to the rules. In fact, starting out at a dealership would be some of the best training or at least experience a person in this for the long run can get.

Also, if you read my article here,

The story of 3 H's - Horrendous, Horror Story and Hack Detailers... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/28142-story-3-h-s-horrendous-horror-story-hack-detailers.html)

I think you'll notice I worded it VERY CAREFULLY so as not to hurt anyone's feelings.

I think I covered every possible base in that article and I double checked it a couple of times before posting it for peer review.

I'm online friends wit Paul and someday I hope and even expect to make it over the pond and tag-team a project with him and I've let him know anytime he's coming to our side of the pond to let me know ahead of time and I'll get something like this for us to work on....

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=81601

:)

Flex3k
09-17-2014, 04:36 PM
Hey guys, first post here.

I got some questions about the Rupes Bigfoot.

I have zero experience with those new DA's.

I detail cars in a dealership and I want to go away from the big 'ole Dewalts rotary etc. I want my own polisher and at same time embrace new technology.

My question is , if I get the big gun, the 21, how do I deal with small panels and gaps ? Can I change the backing plate on the fly to a smaller one like I would with a rotary ?

If not, then I must buy the small rupes along with it? That would cost near 1000$ already..

Anyway thanks guys !

i v detailed cars at the dealer sucks and yes iv had to use the handy dandy old scholl heavy dewalt you cant go wrong with the rupes you can only swap out the 6 inch backing plate to a 5 inch on the bigfoot 21 i ended up getting a 3in griots to find out a month later there was a rupes mini on its way out i only use my 3in griots for scrubbing tires and interior work and the mini is used on paint only i love my mini it gets alot of work done in my opinion if your going for the bigfoot 21 you might as well get the mini yeah the griots a get the job done but it a take alot longer to get the same results it just doesnt have the big throw or power as the mini

Hpkazan
09-17-2014, 05:34 PM
Good to know Mike that 3m's polishes are considered good!
Regarding what you said about them being made for rotary operation only, I guess I'll stick with the 'ole bulky and heavy Dewalt! For dealership use that is.

As for the Meg's system, well I know they won't be too warm about it unless I pay myself.

I suppose I'll get a nice Rupes for myself eventually, it'll be simplier that way.

Yes Mike I know what you mean by saying I'm one of the few exeptions in the dealeship detailers world. I agree when you say they generally don't care about if you do quality work or not..

But , you see, I love what I do and I take pride in standing from the crowd. You need at least one guy being pro in such a place. Apart from that, I would NEVER see myself going back to washing cars with the 'ole brush on a stick one bucket style, or polishing a car without taping nor decontaminating first.. Like some guys do.. (Uugh..) At least I know mostly what I'm talking about when someone asks some questions.

It's gonna pay in the long run being pro. Might open some bigger doors.

Thanks again guys for being so helpful and friendly, I'll definitly post more on this forum..! And It's an honor Mike to get a reply from one of the greatest! Thanks for the articles !