PDA

View Full Version : Can I restore MF towels or are they toast?

Pages : [1] 2

sparkism13
09-17-2014, 11:02 AM
I have a lot of $$ invested in microfiber towels. I have Shamrocks, Supreme 530s, Cobras, and a bunch of mother's and meguiar's basic towels. Anyhow, I'm not sure where I went wrong but I washed them only with Woolite (dye and perfume free) and never dried them on high heat.

But ever since I washed them they are not be very absorbent at first. I mean, you really have to soak or dampen them for them to become absorbent. They actually repel water when completely dry, as if there is some kind of film on them. Is that normal? I get a lot of streaking when I first start using the towel.

Whether I'm drying my car or washing windows, there is a lot of streaking until the towel gets dampened. The towels are not new but they have barely been used. I store them in an airtight container. Any way to restore them? I heard boiling them might help, but wouldn't that melt the polyester fibers? So any recommendation? I really hate to spend $100+ on towels again. Thanks!

jamesboyy
09-17-2014, 11:20 AM
I would take and wash them again only this time use microfiber detergent of choice with a few ounces of vinger to see what happens

trekkeruss
09-17-2014, 11:31 AM
But ever since I washed them they are not be very absorbent at first. I mean, you really have to soak or dampen them for them to become absorbent. They actually repel water when completely dry, as if there is some kind of film on them. Is that normal? I get a lot of streaking when I first start using the towel.

Which towels are you using for drying, cleaning, wiping of wax, etc.?

Are you washing all the towels together, or are you separating them?

sparkism13
09-17-2014, 12:19 PM
Which towels are you using for drying, cleaning, wiping of wax, etc.?

Are you washing all the towels together, or are you separating them?

I am using the plush ones for wax removal, and the medium ones for quick detailing, spray wax. The thinner ones are usually for interior and wheels, glass, etc. I wash them all together, unless one has really bad brake dust or grease.

sparkism13
09-17-2014, 12:21 PM
I would take and wash them again only this time use microfiber detergent of choice with a few ounces of vinger to see what happens

I have to imagine Woolite is just as effective, but I've never tried vinegar. I even washed them repeatedly with no detergent to make sure no residue remained. Rinse only. Still the same.

jamesboyy
09-17-2014, 12:29 PM
Vinegar is a cheap alternative to microfiber detergent when one is low on cash though its still benifical to use microfiber detergent as much as possible, however it's not your detergent it's most likely caused by washing all your towels together as a result clogs all your towels....though when I did used woolite I had no problems but a suggestion will be to wash your towels in dicated groups with tide clear or mf detergent

forrest@mothers
09-17-2014, 03:58 PM
I am using the plush ones for wax removal, and the medium ones for quick detailing, spray wax. The thinner ones are usually for interior and wheels, glass, etc. I wash them all together, unless one has really bad brake dust or grease.

Plush towels are better for use with instant detailer/spray products, whereas the shorter nap (what you're referring to as medium) are better for removing waxes, polishes, etc.; they have more "bite" at breaking the hazed product loose.

RTexasF
09-17-2014, 04:02 PM
Are fabric softener sheets used in your dryer for loads other than MF towels?

sparkism13
09-17-2014, 04:16 PM
Plush towels are better for use with instant detailer/spray products, whereas the shorter nap (what you're referring to as medium) are better for removing waxes, polishes, etc.; they have more "bite" at breaking the hazed product loose.

Makes more sense. Thanks for the tip!

Flex3k
09-17-2014, 04:25 PM
I have a lot of $$ invested in microfiber towels. I have Shamrocks, Supreme 530s, Cobras, and a bunch of mother's and meguiar's basic towels. Anyhow, I'm not sure where I went wrong but I washed them only with Woolite (dye and perfume free) and never dried them on high heat.

Whether I'm drying my car or washing windows, there is a lot of streaking until the towel gets dampened. The towels are not new but they have barely been used. I store them in an airtight container. Any way to restore them? I heard boiling them might help, but wouldn't that melt the polyester fibers? So any recommendation? I really hate to spend $100+ on towels again. Thanks!

Been down that road before if your going to spend alot on quality micro towels dont skimp out on the product to keep them clean or working properly my guess as to whats going on is lets face it we use the washing machine so does the wife and who ever else is in the house hold and we all pour fabric softener in our wash loads for our clothes there can be traces of that inside the washer and in the dryer if there using the fabric softener sheets i would buy some micro restore or whatever micro fiber detergent pour and oz or so in a 5 gallon bucket with water and soak the towels over night then throw them in the washer with more micro fiber detergent let them wash i normally do a double rinse after that take them out and let them air dry in the house of course i never put them in the dryer because any fabric softener that usually has oil in it can create the streaking you see and the water resistance you see in the towel i also seperate my towels interior exterior wheels and so forth if that doesnt work i would save the towels as interior door jams wheels and exhaust or dirty jobs only good luck

sparkism13
09-17-2014, 05:36 PM
Are fabric softener sheets used in your dryer for loads other than MF towels?

Nope. Wife doesn't use dryer sheets.

expdetailing
09-17-2014, 06:15 PM
Try soaking them in a degreaser or an apc undilluted. You may want to toss in a bottle of alcohol and some dish soap as well. Maybe there is a build-up of wax or sealant on the towels. I know my towels smell like the chemicals I use to detail with even after washing them in all free and clear.

aim4squirrels
09-17-2014, 06:39 PM
Been down that road before if your going to spend alot on quality micro towels dont skimp out on the product to keep them clean or working properly my guess as to whats going on is lets face it we use the washing machine so does the wife and who ever else is in the house hold and we all pour fabric softener in our wash loads for our clothes there can be traces of that inside the washer and in the dryer if there using the fabric softener sheets i would buy some micro restore or whatever micro fiber detergent pour and oz or so in a 5 gallon bucket with water and soak the towels over night then throw them in the washer with more micro fiber detergent let them wash i normally do a double rinse after that take them out and let them air dry in the house of course i never put them in the dryer because any fabric softener that usually has oil in it can create the streaking you see and the water resistance you see in the towel i also seperate my towels interior exterior wheels and so forth if that doesnt work i would save the towels as interior door jams wheels and exhaust or dirty jobs only good luck

Wow, man. Mix in a period once in a while. It's good advice you've given, but a very tough read.

Dr Oldz
09-17-2014, 06:43 PM
I wash with All free and clear and add vinegar. I use hot water to wash. A second rinse is great if your washer has that option.

MF detergents are a waste IMO. I have been doing my towels this way for a long time and they all are like new.

Now to remedy your towels.....soak in hot water with a good APC or borax then wash as above.

CDot
09-17-2014, 06:53 PM
^^ Another vote for All Free & Clear.