PDA

View Full Version : Repairing chips in paint with rust

Stephan@FamouslyHot
09-16-2014, 07:22 PM
Hello

A friend of mine who is interested in a detail on his tahoe has a few chips on his hood, about the size of half a pinky nail to a full pinky nail with rust underneath, and another scratch on the left side door with rust underneath.

I have touched up scratches on my car and girlfriends car with those color matched paint pens, but I have never tried to tend to an old chip or scratch with rust.

Any tips? Will this be a complicated en-devour? I was thinking about performing an AIO detail, but with the chips present, I wouldnt feel right not attempting to repair or fix those before performing the detail.

Also, side question:
This would be the first largest vehicle i would attempt to detail, how do you all get stable access to the roof? A ladder or step stool?

Thank you!
Stephan

Audios S6
09-16-2014, 08:24 PM
Remove the rust by sanding/wetsanding. For rust in scratches, wrap the sand paper around a credit card and use the edge to get in the groove. For chips, use a hole punch to make a circular piece of sandpaper and attach to a pencil, or you can get a fiberglass solder pen from computer parts stores that if pretty effective.

Big chips are tricky in vertical panels since the paint wants to run. Too much reducer and it runs bad, too little and any metal flake in the paint will look uneven when applied. It's not really hard to get right, just takes a little practice.