PDA

View Full Version : Sticky, tacky, ooey, gooey dash Help please

Valtex7
09-16-2014, 05:20 PM
Confession first: it has been 12 months since I detailed the interior of my black '05 Subaru Baja ( but less than 800 miles). I used Pinnacle vinyl and rubber protectant on the synthetic leather-look dash back then. Today, as I wiped down the interior, I found a mess only on the portion of dash which houses the passenger air bag. Sticky like glue, black comes off on my hand after prying it away. Rest of the dash appears made of the same material, but it is fine. What could have caused this and moreover, how do I fix it without ruining the dash? Tried an orange based cleaner with little results, then Mags PlasticX which seemed to help a bit. When the surface is wet with anything, it is slick, making it difficult to tell if it is improving. After drying again, the sticky returns. I am baffled. Helllppp

jamesboyy
09-16-2014, 06:09 PM
you could try something like goo gone to see if that will help or keep at it with plastic x though it sounds as if that area of the dash lost it's protection as a result its in a melting like stage

808_detail_nut
09-16-2014, 06:58 PM
You could try steam. Then again if the plastic is breaking down then that's a whole different issue. Good luck. Anyone try mineral spirits? I use it on my windows but my steamer has always worked with plastics so I never tried it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AG Online

Mike lambert
09-16-2014, 07:32 PM
The airbag cover is different than the dash. I see this a lot in Volvo and Ferrari . Try wiping with straight alcohol. If it is not to bad thia may help.

spiralout462
09-16-2014, 08:37 PM
Einzett (1Z) Plastic Deep Cleaner is the only thing that took care of my mother in laws' Honda with the same issue.

Valtex7
09-17-2014, 11:54 AM
Thanks to all for the quick replies. PlasticX seems to be helping and I will try the alcohol today. I am very curious though about the steam. For future reference how is this done? I have a steamer used for clothing, would this work? Do you steam, wipe, steam alone? Seems that heat and humidity likely caused the plastic to begin to breakdown as I live in Southeast Texas where that is our normal weather. So how would more heat and humidity help? Once this breakdown begins can it be stopped? Or should I see if Subaru has a replacement air bag cover? Ee gads can't imagine how much money and trouble that would be on this 2005 model.
Thanks for your help, u guys rock!

jamesboyy
09-17-2014, 12:20 PM
Sounds like good news...good luck, however if you was to employ the steam method I uses a microfiber wrap around the nozzle (where the steam comes out) then rub it on the sticky potentially gluey area until most of glue trapped into towel then while material is warm go over it with goo gone, though if dash is breaking down you can't really stop it though you it can be be reduced, lastly when it comes to the getting a replacement dash cover you could take it to dealer or if handy find it online from either company site or ebay and replace it yourself