PDA

View Full Version : Applying waxes - best practices?

Pages : [1] 2

P1et
08-09-2007, 11:45 PM
Would everyone please share their best practices when applying waxes? What does everyone use as far as applicators is concerned?

This might sound strange, but when P21S sent me those two free "experimental test waxes" it came with some cheap looking applicators, but I love them more than anything. They aren't too big, you don't put too much wax on the pad and it's so easy to apply due to this. I like the Megs Gold Class foam pads as well, but they are sometimes too big to fit into a pot of wax.

I need some feedback!

Feed back please

richy
08-10-2007, 12:08 AM
I use the yellow foam ones.

Thejoyofdriving
08-10-2007, 12:09 AM
Well I use a DA. I apply my wax just like I do a polish, first up and down then side to side, to ensure even coverage.

FMINUS
08-10-2007, 12:13 AM
I use either a DA or Polishin Pal with a 4inch blue or red pad. Works GREAT!
Then I remove with an edgeless MF towel.

And why did P21S send you experimental waxes? pics?

klumzypinoy
08-10-2007, 01:11 AM
I use the Meguiar's foam pad. If it's too big for the tub, I just swipe half of the pad inside. The other half of the pad I hold with my thumb. THat's how I apply all my waxes so my pad doesn't go flying :eek:! I hate flying pads :p. I also do straight lines, maybe circles sometimes. Unless the wax needs to be dried to a haze before removal, I just do WOWO. I'll wax a panel, then wax another panel, and wipe off the residue from the previous panel, and keep going. If it's a dry to a haze type of wax, I'll wax the whole car, and buff off starting from the first panel I waxed, and go in order.

Jimmie
08-10-2007, 01:21 AM
Yellow foam pads. The first thing I do is spritz the pad with QD then load one side with carnauba wax, OR spritz with DP spray sealant and load with sealant.

D
08-10-2007, 01:55 AM
I also use the polishin pal with blue pad.

Sevenrd
08-10-2007, 02:01 AM
I really like the blue foam pads CG sent me when I ordered Pete's 53'. I spritz them with QD before applying. WOWO. Works great for me.

Russecu
08-10-2007, 07:19 AM
I use polishing pal with black or blue pad. The blue seems like it doesn't absorb as quickly as black. When I get to a tight spot I just take the pad off and you have basically the same as the application pads.

Mike T
08-10-2007, 07:59 AM
I either use Edge's black pad or if by hand, I use WG applicators.

sparkie
08-10-2007, 08:04 AM
I also use the yellow foam ones for LSP.

AL417
08-10-2007, 08:05 AM
Sometimes I apply wa with the UDM but most of the time I apply it by hand. I'm a very tactile person and like the feel of applyinng wax by hand. I picked up a tip here that I use all of the time now. Someone said that they used a credit card to get the wax out of the container and then put it on the foam pad. This works great and it's easy to control how much wax goes on the pad.
Thanks to who ever posted this tip. I use an old gift card with no balance on it.

P1et
08-10-2007, 08:51 AM
Some really good tips here. Sounds like it's either the yellow foam pads or the polishing pal. Hmm...

I just have an issue with knowing exactly how much to apply sometimes. Most waxes are forgiving, but take #16 for example. It's tough to gauge sometimes how much you need. P21S is very forgiving, you can cake it on and it's still very easy on and off.

P1et
08-10-2007, 08:56 AM
I use either a DA or Polishin Pal with a 4inch blue or red pad. Works GREAT!
Then I remove with an edgeless MF towel.

And why did P21S send you experimental waxes? pics?

Here you go FMINUS:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/detailing-forum/5420-look-what-p21s-just-sent-me.html

Bigfoot
08-10-2007, 09:31 AM
I use a mf applicator, but I will try the Edge blue pad this weekend