PDA

View Full Version : Could gas do this? How do I remove

qzyksw
09-15-2014, 06:40 PM
Hello,

I have this running down from my gas door? I assume gas made this mark. It is smooth to the touch.

I have only Kamakaze overcoat on the car. I tried to clay it off but now I also have a dull spot from rubbing the clay

Any advice would be appreciated...

jamesboyy
09-15-2014, 06:45 PM
You could try compounding, and or polishing that area by hand if that don't help then the gas spill was there for a while though only showed up after it etched deep into the paintwork

qzyksw
09-16-2014, 06:44 PM
Thank you for the reply. I took the car to Esoteric Detailing and had them look at it.

1st: The employee who looked at it and polished/compound it was great. Forgot his name..sorry

2nd: Todd came out and looked.

Todd was really unsure, believes the clear coat got discolored some how. He refered me to a body shop.

I know the thickness of the paint in that area is 118-128 (different points)

The did not tell me what they used but Todd said the last thing was agressive and should have done it.

He said probably sand it and be prepared that it might be deep enough all of the sudden a re-paint is needed.

So when time permits...I will go to the body shop and see what they have to say.

jamesboyy
09-16-2014, 07:16 PM
Your welcome, sounds like you gotten mixed news though they are correct gas can infact etch and or discolor the paintwork if left untreated

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
09-17-2014, 01:42 AM
I dont think that mark came from gas.

That looks more like calcium deposits from hard water. Could you feel this on the paint with your hand before Esoteric compounded/polished it?

BobbyG
09-17-2014, 05:17 AM

That looks more like calcium deposits from hard water. Could you feel this on the paint with your hand before Esoteric compounded/polished it?

:iagree:

Gas stains are usually dark in color not white as shown in the photo...

qzyksw
09-17-2014, 07:58 AM
It was smooth before they compound/polished it. The employee (wish I remembered his name--so disrespectful not to-sorry) felt it and came out with a rag and something. He started with doing it by hand before bringing out a machine and different pads.

I hope I can make it to the body shop soon and see what that person thinks.

Desertnate
09-17-2014, 08:44 AM

I was thinking the same thing or possibly dust/dirt that was trapped inside and then ran out with the water after a car wash or hard rain.

chet31
09-18-2014, 11:03 PM
Yes, looks more like water got caught in the gas door and dripped out. Could try vinegar, clay, CarPro Spotless, or polishing.

custmsprty
09-18-2014, 11:55 PM
All respect and humility aside on my part, you took it to one of the most highly regarded people and shops around, ED and TC. Their work speaks for itself. If they couldn't correct/fix it I highly doubt some grainy pictures posted here are going to help you come to a conclusion. I mean, Boughatti took their demo Veyron to Todd for correction before they brought it down here to Tampa for an episode of Top Gear (which was leaked and never run) but just saying, that shop appears to do amazing work. So bodyshop repaint, touch up sounds like the deal. I digress now. Good luck and best wishes.

qzyksw
09-20-2014, 05:15 AM
All respect and humility aside on my part, you took it to one of the most highly regarded people and shops around, ED and TC. Their work speaks for itself. If they couldn't correct/fix it I highly doubt some grainy pictures posted here are going to help you come to a conclusion. I mean, Boughatti took their demo Veyron to Todd for correction before they brought it down here to Tampa for an episode of Top Gear (which was leaked and never run) but just saying, that shop appears to do amazing work. So bodyshop repaint, touch up sounds like the deal. I digress now. Good luck and best wishes.

Wow... I did not know Todd was that highly regarded.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Niblick
09-20-2014, 09:44 AM

:iagree:
its a common spot for water marks if your in a hard water area because the water pools slightly in the gap between the body and the filler cap door, and then runs out later when your not looking :laughing:.