PDA

View Full Version : Tree Sap

Pages : [1] 2

goodall
09-15-2014, 04:16 PM
I just waxed my wife's Subaru Legacy. The tree sap on it is nothing like I've ever seen. I assume it's sap. It feels like it and smells like it but it looks like white glue and the Turtle Wax sap remover I used won't touch it. Any suggestions on the best product for sap? I have not been impressed with Stoner's Tarminator by the way. Thanks for the help.

David Hayward
09-15-2014, 04:17 PM
I have always had amazing luck with tarminator on sap. What didn't you like about it?

dcjredline
09-15-2014, 04:18 PM
Carpro TRIX, ONR may do it too. If its dried and been there for a while ull need to let whatever product soak. Heat should help you too.

Sent from my XT1030 using AG Online

jarred767
09-16-2014, 12:37 AM
I deal with a lot of sap up here in the NW, and I've got two methods. First, if it's cold outside the large drops of sap will usually just chip right off with a little pressure from a plastic razor blade (be as gentle as possible). If that doesn't work, or its not cold, I'll use my Meguiars Glass Cleaner from the Detailer Line in its concentrated form, it works very well, just make sure to do it in the shade with the paint as cool as possible.

alanG40
09-16-2014, 09:28 AM
Isopropyl alcohol dissolves sap, no matter how old or bad it is.
It is harsh though, use a soft cloth and only dab it lightly.
Maybe even cotton swab it.

But once its gone you must protect the surface again as the alcohol will eat away everything, which the sap had likely done anyway.
(especially if its old and crusty)

Romach
09-16-2014, 10:15 AM
+1 fr tarminator

I also use wd40 on brutally welded on tar and let it soak for a few minutes and it clears all the sap off

trashmanssd
09-16-2014, 11:02 AM
If you have acsees to a good heated power washer (talking real heat need gloves to hold the bare metal part of the wand) I just wash it 2-3 times with that. First time gets most of it off but leaves it a little smeared let it dry out for day or so hit it again rest usually lifts right off if not 3rd time repeat step 2 I have always ended up perfectly clean and I never have to rub or wipe (which the times I tried wiping with almost anything it leaves light scratches and ruins your microfiber towel).

damaged442
09-16-2014, 12:46 PM
X2 for IPA. I use a cotton swab very lightly and I have never had any issues with marring or scratching on soft Crystal Black Pearl Acura paint. Reapply LSP after.

jarred767
09-16-2014, 01:57 PM
I guess an IPA is basically the sane as a concentrated glass cleaner (alcohol).

Curious if you guys use the same stuff that you use for an IPA wipedown (10-15%), or something stronger?

damaged442
09-16-2014, 02:58 PM

Curious if you guys use the same stuff that you use for an IPA wipedown (10-15%), or something stronger?

Not necessarily. Some glass cleaners have ethyl alcohol (ethanol), methyl alcohol (methanol) or isopropyl alcohol in various relatively low concentations. They do not behave the same. Some glass cleaners will also have ammonia.

I use 70% isopropyl alcohol that you pick up from the pharmacy at Wally World or whatever other store you frequent. (technically, I guess, at 70%, it is already partially diluted...) I do not dilute it for sap removal. I have seen where some have stated that IPA at that concentration can affect the paint, but I have not had any issues, and I do not leave it on for long. Just long enough to remove the sap.

goodall
09-17-2014, 10:13 AM
Thanks as always for the helpful responses. I will try the alternatives and see what happens. Regarding David Hayward's question on Tarminator, I simply find that it doesn't remove sap as good as the Turtle Wax product. It good for tar and bugs but it hasn't worked for me on sap. Thanks.

tdekany
09-17-2014, 07:55 PM

I use full strength, either 70 or 90%.

KillaCam
09-17-2014, 07:57 PM
Be careful with IPA at full strength I've stained paint with it before trying to remove sap. And no I didn't let it sit for long.

tdekany
09-17-2014, 07:59 PM
Be careful with IPA at full strength I've stained paint with it before trying to remove sap. And no I didn't let it sit for long.

So far so good! What brand car was that?

KillaCam
09-17-2014, 10:45 PM
So far so good! What brand car was that?

Mitsubishi