PDA

View Full Version : Blue Rupes pad & Compound Dusting Horribly

expdetailing
09-15-2014, 03:09 PM
Does anyone else have the powdering/dusting problem with the blue course pad and the Rupes compound?
I've only used it once, so I don't know if I am doing anything wrong to cause this. I did not prime the pad. I just used 3-4 dime-sized or smaller dots when applying product to the pad. I tried the Rupes compound, FG400, and HD Cut. Fg400 dusted the least, but still dusted considerably.
It was dusting so bad that I stopped using the Rupes and went back to the Flex.
I assume because the poures are so large on the blue pad that this will cause dusting.
Anmy thoughts or comments anyone?

Mike Phillips,
If you are reading this, do you know when the LC orbital pads for the Rupes are coming out? I am hoping that they are more dense than the Rupes pads, and therefore, will cut down on the dusting.
Thank you,
Justin

Tato
09-15-2014, 03:42 PM
Hi!

In my opinion, your problem is not using ample amount of product. When we say ample, we mean not much, but not little. It must be enough to spread the work area with abrasives and media that will lubricate the surface.

Dusting will not (at least, at the first moment) come from using A LOT of product, but it'll come if you're using too little, and / or if your product is drying very fast (dependent on ambient conditions).

'Imaginary Test', put A LOT of product over the pad, spread over the area and work it. It'll be very lubricated, probably will cause a lot of splatter, but will not 'dust' at all.

When the time passes by, compound and removed paint residue will accumulate on the face of this pad, dry, and dust. That's why it's important to keep using the pad brush often as you can.

Now, do the second 'imaginary test': use too little product. Barely spread over the whole large surface, it'll dry faster, and start dusting.

That's why it's important to spread ample product over surface area.

Another thing that may cause the dusting you're relating is a 'dry pad'.

Sometimes we read about priming the FULL pad, sometimes we read about not priming at all. Which one works better? Well, everything will depend.

You just need to analyze the situation you're facing, and try to deal with it.

In your case, I'd prime my pad using a fine Mist of Quick Detailer, (one or two if one is not enough), then 'fluff' the pad a bit with my hand, letting it slightly more soft (getting rid of that 'dry pad feeling').

Put the dime size drops on the face of the pad, put the tool over the surface.

Turn it on at speed 1-2, pressing slightly and start moving the pad IMMEDIATELY, but not to far away, spreading the product over a small work area (reducing work area is another thing you may do trying to reduce dusting).

Crank speed up to get plenty of pad rotation, and work the product till it's done. Overworking product may also cause you dusting.

Clean the pad often.

In my 'Imaginary Test' this time, I've faced barely any dusting. Got it?

Please, notice, above are just some thoughts (if some may seem obvious, I'm sorry for that), just willing to help you out.

Kind Regards.

allenk4
09-15-2014, 03:58 PM
This article by Kevin Brown provides a very thorough explanation of what Priming od "Seasoning" a polishing pad actually does

http://www.buffdaddy.com/files/1519584/uploaded/KBM-_Pad_Priming_and_Supplemental_Wetting_Agents-1.pdf

Well worth the somewhat technical, lengthy read

swanicyouth
09-15-2014, 04:00 PM
The blue pad and their matching compound just dusts. You can do everything right with that combo and it will dust. That's just how it is. It wants to sling, due to the stiffness of the pad and the large pores.

Dust and sling - that's how it goes.

allenk4
09-15-2014, 04:02 PM
The blue pad and their matching compound just dusts. You can do everything right with that combo and it will dust. That's just how it is. It wants to sling, due to the stiffness of the pad and the large pores.

Dust and sling - that's how it goes.

In you opinion, is the final result worth the dust and sling?

swanicyouth
09-15-2014, 04:09 PM
In you opinion, is the final result worth the dust and sling?

Well, yes. The sling really can be counter acted by being careful and being sure to spread the polish out on slower speeds until it's "absorbed" into the pad. But, if your working on a convertible using the Rupes blue pad and matching combo - always cover the roof with a towel.... Ask me how I know....

But, the combo does cut and finish well. IMHO, dust is just annoying - that's it. If I was doing heavy correction like that on a whole car - I'd be washing it when I was done anyway.

The pads/compound may dust - but they don't gum up and tend to clean well with a brush. So, you can go farther on one pad.

expdetailing
09-15-2014, 04:14 PM
I might be able to cut down on the dust, but I fear the rupes pads are just too open, allowing air to quickly enter in and dry-up the product. If I don't have success cutting down this dust, the rupes will be for sale quickly. Yes, the dusting really was that bad.

allenk4
09-15-2014, 04:42 PM
Well, yes. The sling really can be counter acted by being careful and being sure to spread the polish out on slower speeds until it's "absorbed" into the pad. But, if your working on a convertible using the Rupes blue pad and matching combo - always cover the roof with a towel.... Ask me how I know....

But, the combo does cut and finish well. IMHO, dust is just annoying - that's it. If I was doing heavy correction like that on a whole car - I'd be washing it when I was done anyway.

The pads/compound may dust - but they don't gum up and tend to clean well with a brush. So, you can go farther on one pad.

Good info...thanks

Mike lambert
09-15-2014, 05:00 PM
Why would you sell a state of the art tool before you have worked with it for awhile? Figure out how much product you need and how to work with it before you condemn it. You will get some dust anyway

expdetailing
09-15-2014, 06:18 PM
Why would you sell a state of the art tool before you have worked with it for awhile? Figure out how much product you need and how to work with it before you condemn it. You will get some dust anyway

Well, I thought I did work with it for a while. I used different compounds, different techniques, yet it still dusted at a level that annoys. I feel it won't dust too bad with the finer polishes and denser rupes pads, but I bought it to perform corrections faster. Swanicyouth's idea of washing the vehicle negates the dusting issue, but sometimes I won't be able to wash after correcting. Maybe LC's Orbital pad built for the rupes will take care of this issue. We'll see.

swanicyouth
09-15-2014, 06:34 PM
Well, I thought I did work with it for a while. I used different compounds, different techniques, yet it still dusted at a level that annoys. I feel it won't dust too bad with the finer polishes and denser rupes pads, but I bought it to perform corrections faster. Swanicyouth's idea of washing the vehicle negates the dusting issue, but sometimes I won't be able to wash after correcting. Maybe LC's Orbital pad built for the rupes will take care of this issue. We'll see.

If your that worried about the dust, all you have to do is use another pad & polish.

expdetailing
09-15-2014, 06:46 PM
If your that worried about the dust, all you have to do is use another pad & polish.

I was under the impression that any pad other than a rupes pad would cause the rupes to instantly fail and the earth to tilt on its axis. Seriously though, from your experience, what options are or are not advisable to a rupes user if you don't mind me asking. I appreciate your input and taking the time to respond.

swanicyouth
09-15-2014, 06:50 PM
I like the Rupes pads and don't really play around with other pads with the machine - but others have. The "issue" seems to be the glue of other pads doesn't hold up well to the large stroke of the Rupes.

However, if I was inclined to play with other pads - I would get Buff n Shine pads. The glue that holds the Velcro seems superior to other manufacturers to me & I've yet to have a BnS pad fail.

solman
09-15-2014, 06:58 PM
I did my motorcycle this weekend using the Rupes 15 with a 5 inch white Hybrid pad and Menzerna 2500. I got great results and very little dusting. I have the Rupes white and yellow pads and have not had the issue you are having. I don't yet have the Rupes blue pads so I can't comment on those.

expdetailing
09-15-2014, 07:28 PM
Yeah, the blue pads (maybe green too) seem to be the culprit. They are gunna have to go. I'll try sonicyouth's advise about buff n shine pads, and I'll try the rupes MF pad.

Since I have too much time on my hands and like to experiment, I am going to try to find a way to seal the outside diameter of the rupes blue pad to see if I can eliminate air flow inside the pad. I believe this would help keep the compound wet.