PDA

View Full Version : Shop Vac vs Carpet Cleaner

glh17
09-15-2014, 02:10 PM
I've got some pretty serious carpet/upholstery work to do pretty soon and I'm wondering how a combination of carpet/upholstery cleaner (Megs), carpet brush, and a Ridgid wet/dry shop vac compares to a Bissel Autocare Proheat carpet cleaner (or something similar) with respect to cleaning capability.

I've been thinking about a carpet cleaner for a while but not sure if it is much better than the shop vac. My shop vac is a Ridgid, 5 hp, 16 gallon vac and I have the auto accessories kit.

expdetailing
09-15-2014, 02:21 PM
Try the Bissell Spotclean Pro instead of the other one you mentioned. It's motor is stronger, it comes with the same nozzle and another wider nozzle. I googled mine and bought it new for $107.
I've never tried to mimic a wet vac with a shop vac, so I can't answer for that. I think you could probably get the same results, but imagine it would take longer.

jamesboyy
09-15-2014, 02:30 PM
Whether using shop vac or carpet cleaner IMO they both works the same only difference is that one is non heated cleaning while the other is, and another thing to note is carpet cleaners tend to extract more water though if your on a budget just stick shop vac method, and use very warm water and rub a microfiber towel over the cleaned area to extract even more water.

P.S yes a hot water(heated) extractor cleans more efficient but most will use a cold water (non heated) extractor for money reasons, and it cleans just as well.

expdetailing
09-15-2014, 02:56 PM
To follow up on hot vs cold water; I use hot tap water in my extractor. You can turn up your hot water tank if you need really hot water. Just remember to turn it back down.

glh17
09-15-2014, 05:30 PM
Ordered the Spotclean Pro. I think I've got enough carpet/upholstery cleaning to justify it. My three grandkids will keep it busy.