PDA

View Full Version : aluminum trim restoation

kendra
09-15-2014, 08:15 AM
I have been working on the trim for the Valiant.
I have gotten the headlight bezel to a pretty good mirror shine BUT, I can still see scratches.
Got most dings out
used sandpaper...all the way up to 1500 grit
used the buffing-wheel
polish....and so on

Should I go up to 2000 grit?
Also, what should I use to protect it when I'm done?
I have seen sealants for sale but do they really work? (I also have anti-aging cream that doesn't work lol )

I would love to hear how you guys have restored trim...step by step. I will be working on most of the trim over the winter...including the grill. I did use a rotary on my stainless steal using 1500 and up but it just seemed to put more scratches.... I think hand sanding will be the way to go.

Again, What has worked for you?

Thanks
:buffing:

kendra
09-16-2014, 07:00 AM
Come on guys-----I'm sure someone has restored their trim.

expdetailing
09-16-2014, 08:28 AM
My guess is, Kendra, that you won't receive a lot of answers here because what your doing is restoring rather than a quick detailing of the trim.
For example, if it were me, I would hit it with a metal polish or a cleaner wax. Beyond that, I would slap a sealant on it, like BFWD or FourStar UPP.
Is this for your vehicle? It sounds like you have as much time with it as you need. Maybe google the topic if you have not done so by now.

kendra
09-16-2014, 10:14 AM
My guess is, Kendra, that you won't receive a lot of answers here because what your doing is restoring rather than a quick detailing of the trim.
For example, if it were me, I would hit it with a metal polish or a cleaner wax. Beyond that, I would slap a sealant on it, like BFWD or FourStar UPP.
Is this for your vehicle? It sounds like you have as much time with it as you need. Maybe google the topic if you have not done so by now.

Thanks for replying. I guess I never looked at it like that. I simply thought detailing and restoration were about the same thing. :doh:
It is my car and it's a never-ending project. :D

I have googled it...but I'm just one of those people that research something to death. :P

Red Lehr
06-16-2016, 09:49 PM
Hello Kendra, Did you ever get the trim on your Falcon restored the way you wanted it ?? If not I might be able to help.....