PDA

View Full Version : Optimum Gloss Coat Review

Pages : [1] 2

RPM94
09-14-2014, 03:16 PM
I was the winner of Autogeek's Optimum Gloss Coat giveaway. This weekend I washed my wife's car, clayed it, removed swirls with my Flex & Rupes 75E, did an IPA wipe down and then applied Optimum Gloss Coat.

I was planning on putting the coating on my new Grand Cherokee, but my significant other can be very persuasive. ;)

I was a bit reluctant since she has a white car and it would not provide as good reflection shots of my darker color Jeep.

Up until now I was only familiar with 22PLE VX1 Pro glass coating. I really liked that product and have applied it to my Z06. 22PLE is good for 24 months and is know for its strong reflective properties.

22PLE is very easy to apply, do one section, wait 5 minutes and then buff with a microfiber towel. The same procedure applies for the Optimum Gloss Coat. I feel that the Gloss Coat was a bit easier to apply than 22PLE. I really liked the syringe approach compared to the dropper vial. Also, with 22PLE, you ruin your microfiber towels since they harden after use. This did not occur with the Gloss Coat.

The shine is extremely good with the Optimum Gloss Coat. I would say equal to the 22PLE.

So, my choice is the Optimum system due to ease of application, not having to toss your microfiber towels and similar shine to 22PLE. I have no experience with Optimum 2.0 so I cannot comment on it.

I will let you all know how each hold up over time to see if there is a difference in durability.

Here is the money shot. Who says white cars do not show good reflections. :D

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f226/rolex88/OptimumGlossCoat_zpsd92cbf42.jpg

Thanks Autogeek for the chance to try this product out!

Rsurfer
09-14-2014, 03:48 PM
Nice..are you planning on topping OGC?

SYMAWD
09-14-2014, 03:54 PM
Looks good. How many CCs did you use? Do you feel confident that it is enough to coat a large SUV or minivan?

RPM94
09-14-2014, 04:07 PM

I will probably give that a try. I have been using Kamikaze Overcoat on my Z06. I will buy some OGC from Autogeek on my next order. I want some more nice microfiber towels.

RPM94
09-14-2014, 04:11 PM
Looks good. How many CCs did you use? Do you feel confident that it is enough to coat a large SUV or minivan?

I did two coats on the roof and hood and still had about 3CCs left. Yes, you should be able to do a large SUV or minivan with no issues.

One thing I did change up a bit was the applicator pad. The pad that came with the kit tended to drag on the paint a bit. I grab a bunch of my wife's small cotton makeup remover pads to apply the gloss coat. These cotton pads really held the product and made application much easier. I only wish they were a bit bigger. It still was an easy process.

Amazon.com : Organic Cotton Makeup Remover Pads : Facial Cleansing Pads : Beauty (http://www.amazon.com/Organic-Cotton-Makeup-Remover-Pads/dp/B00ENWH9KK)

FUNX650
09-14-2014, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the O-GC review! :dblthumb2:

If I may...I'd like to take a moment to
comment on the following:

•Up until now I was only familiar with 22PLE VX1 Pro glass coating.
-I really liked that product and have applied it to my Z06.
-22PLE is good for 24 months and is know for its strong reflective properties.

•The shine is extremely good with the Optimum Gloss Coat.
-I would say equal to the 22PLE.

•I let you all know how each hold up over time to see if there is a difference in durability.

I will probably give that a try.

I have been using Kamikaze Overcoat on my Z06.
RE: "Topping" a Coating

IMHO:
•It's too late for the 22ple Coating:
It's already been Kamikaze'd. :)

However:
•I really wish you would abstain from "topping" the O-GC.
-That will give a truer: long-term review; again: IMHO.
-Wouldn't the testing of O-GC's durability be compromised if "topped" with some product?
-You said it was already just as shiny as the 22ple

•Hope you take the above suggestion into consideration.
-TIA.

Bob

RPM94
09-14-2014, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the O-GC review! :dblthumb2:

If I may...I'd like to take a moment to
comment on the following:

IMHO:
It's already been Kamikaze'd. :)

However:
•I really wish you would abstain from "topping" the O-GC.
-That will give a truer: long-term review; again: IMHO.
-Wouldn't the testing of O-GC's durability be compromised if "topped" with some product?
-You said it was already just as shiny as the 22ple

•Hope you take the above suggestion into consideration.
-TIA.

Bob

If I top the Gloss Coat it will be with a product that is designed to go on top. I was thinking it was Reload but now see that is for CQuartz. Since 22PLE does not yet have a sacrificial coating, Todd from Esoteric Detail suggested Kamikaze Overcoat (made for ISM Coat) for the VX1 Pro. This will help prolong the 22PLE coating on my Z06.

So I am not going to put a wax on top of the Gloss Coat but if there is a product designed to extend its life, then I will give it a try.

Yes, I see how this would affect the durability review. However, comparing the 22PLE on my 580 RWHP toy to my wife's daily driver is not a good comparison. The Z06 rarely gets out much and only sees rain when the weather forecast is off or changes suddenly. I need to compare it to the Grand Cherokee.

Heck, I may even put some Wolfgang Fuzion on the Z06 just to add that depth of color. :rolleyes:

FUNX650
09-14-2014, 10:01 PM
If I top the Gloss Coat it will be with a product that is designed to go on top. I was thinking it was Reload but now see that is for CQuartz. Since 22PLE does not yet have a sacrificial coating, Todd from Esoteric Detail suggested Kamikaze Overcoat (made for ISM Coat) for the VX1 Pro. This will help prolong the 22PLE coating on my Z06.

So I am not going to put a wax on top of the Gloss Coat but if there is a product designed to extend its life, then I will give it a try.

Yes, I see how this would affect the durability review. However, comparing the 22PLE on my 580 RWHP toy to my wife's daily driver is not a good comparison. The Z06 rarely gets out much and only sees rain when the weather forecast is off or changes suddenly. I need to compare it to the Grand Cherokee.

Heck, I may even put some Wolfgang Fuzion on the Z06 just to add that depth of color. :rolleyes:
•I never suggested a comparison be made between a vehicle having O-GC, and one having 22ple/Kamakase.
-I said:

IMHO:
It's already been Kamakase'd

:rolleyes:

But...Thanks for the information on your "topping" methods.

•Based on this information, then:
-My opinion is that your review of O-GC will definitely become: Out of kilter---anon; and, as such:
-Will serve no purpose in determining this Coating's true characteristics/behaviors; and benefits---if any.

Bob

RPM94
09-14-2014, 10:31 PM
•I never suggested a comparison be made between a vehicle having O-GC, and one having 22ple/Kamakase.
-I said:

:rolleyes:

But...Thanks for the information on your "topping" methods.

•Based on this information, then:
-My opinion is that your review of O-GC will definitely become: Out of kilter---anon; and, as such:
-Will serve no purpose in determining this Coating's true characteristics/behaviors; and benefits---if any.

Bob

Hey Bob, take a chill pill. Oh, and I really do not care what you think.

EvolutionDetail
09-14-2014, 11:09 PM
I had a HARD TIME dealing with CQUK today....
Last time i used 22PLE on my WRX, i had GREAT RESULTS.
It is a TRUE wipe on and wipe off coating, buff off clean and nice.
Never have to wipe wipe wipe to buff off the excess.....

However 22PLE is EXPENSIVE, if Gloss coat is as easy and good as you said. I really need to give another shot with Opti.

RPM94
09-14-2014, 11:30 PM
I had a HARD TIME dealing with CQUK today....
Last time i used 22PLE on my WRX, i had GREAT RESULTS.
It is a TRUE wipe on and wipe off coating, buff off clean and nice.
Never have to wipe wipe wipe to buff off the excess.....

However 22PLE is EXPENSIVE, if Gloss coat is as easy and good as you said. I really need to give another shot with Opti.

Give it a shot, it was a pleasure to work with, provided a great shine and slick feel.

Now Kamikaze ISM Coat is some expensive stuff (100ml for $350.00). I have not seen any reviews on line though.

The Critic
09-15-2014, 12:07 AM
I would guess that OCW or Opti-seal are appropriate toppers for Gloss-Coat.

Thanks for doing the review.

jarred767
09-15-2014, 01:23 AM
Thanks for the review! Great info and good to hear how it worked for you. From my experience with 2.0 it sounds like GC went on pretty similar to the way 2.0 did. (I have always had the same issues with the applicator pad, always seemed grabby, too bad that didn't update that).

I look forward to reading more reviews as more guys get a chance to try it out. That reflection shot is awesome for a white car BTW, did you take any other pics by chance? Thanks again!

CDot
09-15-2014, 07:34 AM
Hey Bob, take a chill pill. Oh, and I really do not care what you think.

In Bob's defense, I think he's merely commenting on how to get a truer picture on the performance of the coating without other variables (which most people add). Don't let the verbose responses bother you; that's Bob's unique contribution to our AGO community :)

That being said, it's your coating and you do as you wish :xyxthumbs:

ZeroSP
09-15-2014, 12:57 PM
I was the winner of Autogeek's Optimum Gloss Coat giveaway. This weekend I washed my wife's car, clayed it, removed swirls with my Flex & Rupes 75E, did an IPA wipe down and then applied Optimum Gloss Coat.

I was planning on putting the coating on my new Grand Cherokee, but my significant other can be very persuasive. ;)

I was a bit reluctant since she has a white car and it would not provide as good reflection shots of my darker color Jeep.

Up until now I was only familiar with 22PLE VX1 Pro glass coating. I really liked that product and have applied it to my Z06. 22PLE is good for 24 months and is know for its strong reflective properties.

22PLE is very easy to apply, do one section, wait 5 minutes and then buff with a microfiber towel. The same procedure applies for the Optimum Gloss Coat. I feel that the Gloss Coat was a bit easier to apply than 22PLE. I really liked the syringe approach compared to the dropper vial. Also, with 22PLE, you ruin your microfiber towels since they harden after use. This did not occur with the Gloss Coat.

The shine is extremely good with the Optimum Gloss Coat. I would say equal to the 22PLE.

So, my choice is the Optimum system due to ease of application, not having to toss your microfiber towels and similar shine to 22PLE. I have no experience with Optimum 2.0 so I cannot comment on it.

I will let you all know how each hold up over time to see if there is a difference in durability.

Here is the money shot. Who says white cars do not show good reflections. :D

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f226/rolex88/OptimumGlossCoat_zpsd92cbf42.jpg

Thanks Autogeek for the chance to try this product out!

Thanks for the review. I almost can't tell that it is a white colored car.