PDA

View Full Version : claying question

Pages : [1] 2

godfearingman
09-14-2014, 11:06 AM
I hope I'm not double posting but I was wondering if I can safely amd efficiently clay my car outside I don't have a garage or anything to in close my car any help and advice would be greatly appreciated

af90
09-14-2014, 11:15 AM
You absolutely can.

What clay lube are you going to use?

There are generally two methods of thought when claying a car following a wash.

1) Clay the car after washing the car but before drying, using the remaining water on it as additional clay lube.

2) Dry the car fully then clay the vehicle.

I'm in the second boat because I prefer not to leave water remaining on the vehicle which can cause minor water spotting. So I dry the vehicle fully then clay it. Ensure you use plenty of clay lube to ensure enough lubricity. The clay should slide over the paint, if it becomes grabby there is not enough lube, however it should not float across the paint. Pay attention to the tactile feel, you will feel the grittiness on the initial swipes over it and smooth out over time. If you are using traditional clay ensure you re-fold it over itself as necessary, you should see contaminants building up. Every panel is an easy way to know when to fold if you aren't sure.

godfearingman
09-14-2014, 11:51 AM
I've used meguiars products for years more than likely there clay bar system

tpr1634
09-14-2014, 12:04 PM
May want to take a look at the nano skin wash mitt or towel.

Kamakaz1961
09-14-2014, 12:16 PM
May want to take a look at the nano skin wash mitt or towel.

:iagree:Nanoskin would be a better bet as you can take care of claying quicker and if you drop the sponge no big deal...just clean and move on. With clay you are SOL.

Sponge (I prefer), mitt or towel. I would go with the blue one IMO

godfearingman
09-15-2014, 10:23 AM
I found I have a used piece and a new unopened piece of clay from Meguiars Clay kit and I can't find the lube I had and can't find just the lube by itself anywhere. Do I have to buy a whole new kit and throw away two good pieces of clay just to buy the clay lube?

refreshauto
09-15-2014, 10:26 AM
you have some ONR, or just add some car wash soap to a spray bottle if you dont have clay lube. or if you want to drive up to wake forest i have some i can give you

glh17
09-15-2014, 10:37 AM
I clay outside but, as with washing, only in a cool shady place. I've used Chemical Guy's clay lubricate as well as Meguiar's detail spray for lubrification.

godfearingman
09-15-2014, 12:21 PM
I don't have any clay lubrication I remembered today I had one used piece and one new piece of clay but don't have the clay lube thought I could just buy the clay lube separately

Don M
09-15-2014, 12:25 PM
you have some ONR, or just add some car wash soap to a spray bottle if you dont have clay lube. or if you want to drive up to wake forest i have some i can give you

I agree, just put some car wash soap in a spray bottle and use that as your clay lube. It's pretty much what I do.

godfearingman
09-15-2014, 12:46 PM
I had someone suggest ultimate quick detailer as a clay lube what do y'all think? I have some turtle wax black detailer I use in between washes and to keep the bugs off the front end.

Don M
09-15-2014, 01:03 PM
I had someone suggest ultimate quick detailer as a clay lube what do y'all think? I have some turtle wax black detailer I use in between washes and to keep the bugs off the front end.

Ultimate Quik Detailer is way to slick to be used as a clay lube, that's per Mike Stoops at MOL.

godfearingman
09-15-2014, 01:08 PM
looks like they'd sell the clay lube by itself and not have to buy a whole clay kit for it when all you need is the lube.

allenk4
09-15-2014, 02:02 PM
The Meguiar's Detail Spray (red bottle) is very good lube, cheap and avail OTC

godfearingman
09-15-2014, 02:07 PM
Ultimate Quik Detailer is way to slick to be used as a clay lube, that's per Mike Stoops at MOL.

Well not according to another user I don't mind getting it but don't want to if it's not going to work like they say