PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars UQW

Don M
09-14-2014, 06:10 AM
I posted this over on MOL, but I didn't get many (2) responses, so I brought it over here, even though I know "Forum Shopping" isn't the best thing to do. It's just that I'm really interested in this product (local availability is a big thing for me) and so far, I kind of like it, I just want to learn more about it.

Does UQW need time to set up, or "cure?" I used it 'for real' for the first time today, I used it on my wife's car before in a few test spots, but I didn't do it with much enthusiasm (I hate doing SUVs) ... anyhow I think because I didn't take my time to do it right, it didn't work too well. I applied it to my Suzuki tonight which was last waxed using Klasse Sealant Glaze almost two months ago. Application and removal were a dream and I could feel the difference in slickness between a finished and unfinished panel when I would wipe the backs of my fingers against the paint.

Anyhow, I lifted the wipers off the windshield so I could apply the UQW to the glass and a few drops of water fell from the wipers to the hood, but they didn't bead up tightly like they do in the videos. So I was just wondering if there was a time period where UQW needed to be left alone to cure.

Other than that, the stuff is off to a good start with me and there will definitely be more Ultimate products in my future. After seeing everything about the ULW, it might even replace my Klasse Sealant Glaze if it's as good as it looks to be.

Don M
09-14-2014, 06:26 AM
I actually spoke with Dr. David Ghodoussi about this exact process at SEMA, that is using the Optimum Finish polish with the Flex 3401 instead of using a cleaner/wax for doing production work and he suggested I try wiping the "Finish" polish residue off by spraying on the Optimum Car Wax and thus killing two birds with one stone.

BTW Mike, if you happen to read this, how would this method work if you substituted Meguiars UQW and ULW for the Optimum Products, as far as knocking down high spots when removing the ULW or would I be better served using the UQD for this?

FUNX650
09-14-2014, 08:40 AM
Cure Time:
-I don't see UQW as being a Wax.
Instead: as a Sealant.

-I'm in the camp that believes that, in order to reach the best of their characteristics' value, Sealants do have a cure-time.
-My generalization (rationalization) for that curing-time period is between 12-24 hours.

"High Spot(s)" Knockdown:
-I've never experienced this phenomenon with these types of spray-products.
Or:
-Your eyes are much better attuned to see a few molecules of product thickness...more so than mine!!

Note:
Meguiar's UQW become an even greater value...
in the gallon jug!

Bob

TurboToys
09-14-2014, 10:26 AM
Cure Time:

-I'm in the camp that believes that, in order to reach the best of their characteristics' value, Sealants do have a cure-time.
-My generalization (rationalization) for that curing-time period is between 12-24 hours.

Or:
-Your eyes are much better attuned to see a few molecules of product thickness...more so than mine!!

Note:
in the gallon jug!

Bob

"knocking down high spots" has become something of a saying for some reason, for something we already have.... hazing or hazy spots. no one really knows if that is really a "high spot", no one has measured anything, it just looks non uniform to the rest of the product applied. i don't really agree with calling a hazy or bad spot a "high spot" either...

Don M
09-14-2014, 10:52 AM
Cure Time:

Or:

Note:
in the gallon jug!

Bob

That's the information I was looking for, what I meant as far as using the UQW during removal of the ULW to take care of any possible smears or spots where the ULW doesn't quite remove because of too thick application or some such.

Loach
09-14-2014, 02:01 PM
Good question. Yes, for their polymer based waxes(sealants) it's generally recommended that they cure for 12-24 hours before wetting. As for Ultimate Quik Wax, I would not rinse the panel down after immediate removal of the product, if I remember correctly I noticed diminished water repellency doing this. Whereas waiting at least 12 hours gave me great initial water beading and sheeting. I'm not sure if wetting prior to this time causes any massive change in long term durability. With most of their Ultimate line up, I noticed rinsing the surface for an extended period of about 10 straight minutes causes a noticeable change in the surface tension of the products and it affected beading and sheeting. Not sure how that ultimately affects long term durability but it is one observation of mine that I would love to have others test as well to see if its something in my water causing this to happen. Here's a video I did of UQW's initial beading and sheeting characteristics. Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax - Water Test - YouTube (http://youtu.be/6hTn3Q2hfu8)

Now, as for removing ULW with UQW, I have not tried this, but I don't find this necessary to do. ULW should come off really well on its own and I wouldn't start topping it with other protection based products until you've reached the manufacturer's recommended cure time. But that's an answer I'd like to hear one of their employees answer, and whether or not it's better or not to use UQD in that process or if UQW is acceptable.

The Guz
09-14-2014, 05:27 PM
That's the information I was looking for, what I meant as far as using the UQW during removal of the ULW to take care of any possible smears or spots where the ULW doesn't quite remove because of too thick application or some such.

I would recommend you use ultimate quik detailer to aid you in the removal of ULW. Use UQW for in between washes.