PDA

View Full Version : How to deal with this plastic discoloration?

zombywoof
09-13-2014, 08:28 PM
This is the fore/aft seat adjustment lever of my 2003 VW Golf, the plastic may have already been somewhat faded but the white/mottled appearance became much worse when the car was recently caught in the rain with the windows open - is there any way to fix it?

Thanks in advance!

Rsurfer
09-13-2014, 09:06 PM
This is the fore/aft seat adjustment lever of my 2003 VW Golf, the plastic may have already been somewhat faded but the white/mottled appearance became much worse when the car was recently caught in the rain with the windows open - is there any way to fix it?

Thanks in advance!

Did you try cleaning it with some apc? Funny that the seat plastic looks good. Solution Finish is a black dye and should work.

David Hayward
09-13-2014, 09:13 PM
Did you try cleaning it with some apc? Funny that the seat plastic looks good. Solution Finish is a black dye and should work.

Yea that's strange looking. I'd say a small part like that use minimal effort to clean. If you fail paint or dye it.

Mizzoutiger
09-13-2014, 09:26 PM
Looks like mold. Bleach or APC will kill it, then I'd follow with Solution Finish as mentioned. Mold can grow fast. After it rained inside, did you pull up seat/carpet to dry?

zombywoof
09-13-2014, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the replies! - I am not an experienced detailer or anything (so have to ask, what is apc?) but it looked like this forum would be a good place to come to for advice.

I have not tried anything beyond cleaning with a damp rag...the problem does not seem to be on the surface, but deeper in the plastic, if that makes sense - as a "load bearing" sort of part it seems to be a different material than the surrounding, more "decorative" plastic (which is all in fine shape.)

Would something like Meguiar's "Ultimate Black" maybe help?

zombywoof
09-13-2014, 09:42 PM
After it rained inside, did you pull up seat/carpet to dry?

I did not - the car was not really that badly soaked, and otherwise seemed fine after drying out.

Mizzoutiger
09-13-2014, 09:46 PM
APC is All Purpose Cleaner. I'm guessing that plastic piece is porous and allowed mold spores in. You've come to the right place. Search engine is your friend.

Mizzoutiger
09-13-2014, 09:50 PM
I did not - the car was not really that badly soaked, and otherwise seemed fine after drying out.

Rain may have soaked thru carpet pad. Only way to know is pull it up and check for dampness/discoloration underneath pad. If still wet/discolored, Google will give you options.

David Hayward
09-13-2014, 09:52 PM
Looks like mold. Bleach or APC will kill it, then I'd follow with Solution Finish as mentioned. Mold can grow fast. After it rained inside, did you pull up seat/carpet to dry?

I was on my phone viewing the picture and kind of thought the same thing but it was too small to tell. Looks like some old food I've tossed out in the past.

The Guz
09-13-2014, 11:27 PM
Some APC would clean that right up. If you have Meguiar's ultimate black you can use that as well. You could also pick up some Mothers Back to Black Heavy Duty Trim Cleaner to clean that up or some Meguiar's M39.