PDA

View Full Version : What do I do next?

cutter5o
09-13-2014, 01:10 PM
Ill shorten this as much as possible. Black paint, Klasse AIO, Klasse High Gloss, 1 coat pinnacle Carnauba all done 3 weeks ago. Fast forward to today. Cleaned truck and some bird poop etched the hood. I buffed, detail sprayed, broke out the nano pad and cleaner. It helped a little but the etching was there...and it was a big bird.
I broke out some medium compound and a cloth sponge. After some serious rubbing the poop etching is gone and that area of the hood is very black...guess what that made the rest of the hood look like. I had mostly little tracers here and there. They didnt buff out either. I used Wolfgang swirl remover and an orange pad on the rest of the hood. Then I switched to Wolfgang glaze and a white pad and the hood looks pretty good. On the fenders I tested just doing the white pad and glaze and it worked fine so I did the rest of the truck that way. So now where am I? Do I need to startover and reapply the klasse or just the pinnacle wax? I havent done the tailgate yet. There is a water line under the dealership emblem that I sealed in. If I glaze it and the water mark is still there that means my Klasse is good and I just need to wax right?
What about the hood section I compounded?
Thanks in advance for your help. I just logged into the forums for the first time and promise to come back and read all the stickies when Im done with the truck

cutter5o
09-13-2014, 01:52 PM
The water streak under the dealer emblem is still there. I would assume this means that the Klasse is still intact.

Setec Astronomy
09-13-2014, 01:54 PM
The water streak under the dealer emblem is still there. I would assume this means that the Klasse is still intact.

Or it means you haven't buffed it enough to remove the water stain. Are you working with a machine or by hand?

cutter5o
09-13-2014, 03:16 PM
Hand on the compound and everything else was the 7424 set at 1.5 (4 slow overlapping passes, 2 up and 2 down.) I didn't apply pressure I just let the machine do the work

Don M
09-13-2014, 03:31 PM
This might help:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/22234-tracers-rids-pigtails-cobweb-swirls-rotary-buffer-swirls-holograms-water-spots-bird-droping-etchings-micro-marring.html

cutter5o
09-13-2014, 03:39 PM
Yah I saw that before I posted. It made me wish I had joined the forums before I Nanoed it and put the Klasse/Wax over the scratches.

cutter5o
09-13-2014, 03:53 PM
I just went and checked with my flourescent. I have what I think are quite a few RIDs that I never really noticed before. I dont have the skills for sanding the RIDs. Im not going to risk my clearcoat. Black is to unforgiving
Think I should try the compound to see if it gets rid of those scratches? I may get lucky and they may be scratches in the sealant. I can just try it on a test area.

allenk4
09-13-2014, 04:00 PM
If you have a PC...why did you compound by hand?

1.5 on a PC is too slow to do anything properly, even wax spreading is best accomplished at speed 3

15lbs of downward pressure (includes weight of machine), is generally accepted as better than "no pressure" when using a PC

Here is a great thread with videos by Mike Phillips that should be helpful:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/20021-definitive-how-article-removing-swirls-scratches-water-spots-using-porter-cable-7424xp-g110v2-griot-s-garage-polisher.html

There is no such thing as scratches being "in the sealant"

cutter5o
09-13-2014, 04:20 PM
It was a small spot and orange is the deepest pad I have. the compound said use a cotton cloth if doing it by hand. Not sure but I remember the instructions for the Wolfgang stuff said 1-2 on the speed. I just went down and tried another spot with what I thought were rids. I applied compound with cotton, buffed, then swirl remover with orange pad, buffed. No more scratches under the flourescent light. I guess your correct. Im most likely trying to be too gentle. Im so afraid of messing my paint up. Ill spend some time with the videos before I go back out there. Anything else you might recommend I read or watch? My NAPA has some 3m pads. I wouldnt mind using the PC for the compound. Hopefully the video will recommend a pad. Anything about applying the Klasse or Pinnacle wax? I appreciate all of you helping me.

cutter5o
09-13-2014, 04:32 PM
Wow awesome info on that last link. Thanks a lot

allenk4
09-13-2014, 04:36 PM
It was a small spot and orange is the deepest pad I have. the compound said use a cotton cloth if doing it by hand. Not sure but I remember the instructions for the Wolfgang stuff said 1-2 on the speed. I just went down and tried another spot with what I thought were rids. I applied compound with cotton, buffed, then swirl remover with orange pad, buffed. No more scratches under the flourescent light. I guess your correct. Im most likely trying to be too gentle. Im so afraid of messing my paint up. Ill spend some time with the videos before I go back out there. Anything else you might recommend I read or watch? My NAPA has some 3m pads. I wouldnt mind using the PC for the compound. Hopefully the video will recommend a pad. Anything about applying the Klasse or Pinnacle wax? I appreciate all of you helping me.

Here is the AGO product page for TSR:

Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0, Wolfgang Auto Polish, Car polish, Wolfgang swirl remover polish, Wolfgang Menzerna (http://www.autogeek.net/wotoswre.html)

David Hayward
09-13-2014, 04:51 PM
You should be pretty good with the orange pad. You really have to crank that pc up to keep the pad rotating while applying pressure. Make sure to mark the backing plate so you can see the pad rotating well while you work in the compound or polish.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/48919-mark-your-backing-plate-makes-easy-see-pad-rotation.html