PDA

View Full Version : Dilution question - Meg's D114 Express Wash

Pages : [1] 2

creaky
09-12-2014, 03:06 PM
I want to use Meg's D114 Express Wash as a spray waterless wash. Is the dilution rate really 1:128, even for a spray waterless? That is, 1 oz. to 1 gallon?

Thanks in advance.

allenk4
09-12-2014, 03:42 PM
1:128 is one ounce per gallon

I believe the current suggested dilution ratio for D114 used as a rinseless is 1/2oz per gallon

I think it used to be 1/4oz per gallon

I have not tried it as a waterless wash product, as I am not a fan of the technique

frankprozzoly
09-12-2014, 11:04 PM
I love this stuff. I've never done a waterless wash. I always use a little more product than suggested. Probably unnecessary but it just makes me feel safer.

I think the only time I'd consider a waterless wash is a day after a rinseless wash. No more time than that.

frankprozzoly
09-12-2014, 11:09 PM
I would use a damp towel to wipe it off instead of a dry towel. I'd think that would be safer

allenk4
09-12-2014, 11:18 PM
I would use a damp towel to wipe it off instead of a dry towel. I'd think that would be safer

I have hears this thought expressed before, but I have never seen it tested

A clean, quality towel with proper wiping pressure should not scratch

I have never mastered drying with a towel moist towel

Moldavite
09-12-2014, 11:54 PM
i been using D114 and D115 since march
i mix at 1:50 it smell good too :xyxthumbs:

jarred767
09-12-2014, 11:55 PM
I love using D114, it has so many great uses beyond simply using it as a WW. I will occasionally use it as a Rinseless Wash on cars that only need a light cleaning. I will usually put just under an ounce in a 32oz bottle, which essentially is around 1:40 to 1:50. It's more concentrated than suggested, but I feel better safe than sorry, and it still comes out at a ridiculously low price.

When using this method I am very liberal with the product and soak panels pretty good before wiping them down. Depending on the size of the vehicle, I'll use anywhere from a half to a full 32oz bottle per car.

I also love using this dilution to clean mildy dirty door jambs and it works great as a compound remover. Very versatile product!

frankprozzoly
09-13-2014, 06:23 AM
I have hears this thought expressed before, but I have never seen it tested

A clean, quality towel with proper wiping pressure should not scratch

I have never mastered drying with a towel moist towel

No matter how I wash my car, I almost always buff down with a dry towel anyway. The dry towel ends up getting wet anyway. So that's why I'll wipe with a damp towel then wipe with a fry one.

Lately I've been buying distilled water to see if it'll dry spot free. Seems like it works but I have a hard time noticing. That's why I traded the black car in for a silver one.

frankprozzoly
09-13-2014, 06:26 AM
Watch a rinseless wash video on YouTube by a guy named car modz..

creaky
09-13-2014, 08:44 AM
Thanks, everyone. I just mixed 1 oz - 32 oz and will see how it goes.

Setec Astronomy
09-13-2014, 10:11 AM
1:128 is one ounce per gallon. I believe the current suggested dilution ratio for D114 used as a rinseless is 1/2oz per gallon, I think it used to be 1/4oz per gallon

You got me wondering about this, so I went to the intro thread for D114 on MOL from Oct. 2011. It's 1 oz/gallon for very dirty, 1/2 oz/gallon for normal dirty. Didn't see anything about 1/4 oz/gallon.

I want to use Meg's D114 Express Wash as a spray waterless wash. Is the dilution rate really 1:128, even for a spray waterless? That is, 1 oz. to 1 gallon?

Yes, that's what they said on the Meguiar's forum, with a couple of testimonials to how well it worked. I've never used it as a waterless.

jarred767
09-13-2014, 11:32 AM
Thanks, everyone. I just mixed 1 oz - 32 oz and will see how it goes.

It also works great as a clay lube at that dilution as its got a pretty high lubricity at 1:32.

allenk4
09-13-2014, 11:55 AM
You got me wondering about this, so I went to the intro thread for D114 on MOL from Oct. 2011. It's 1 oz/gallon for very dirty, 1/2 oz/gallon for normal dirty. Didn't see anything about 1/4 oz/gallon.

Maybe I am thinking of the video with Mike P filmed at AGO

From what I recall, they measured 2, half ounce cap fulls into 4 gallons of water

I may be mis-rememberin'

Setec Astronomy
09-13-2014, 12:12 PM
Maybe I am thinking of the video with Mike P filmed at AGO

From what I recall, they measured 2, half ounce cap fulls into 4 gallons of water

I may be mis-rememberin'

People talked about putting 1/4 ounce into a quart spray bottle for rinseless, but that's 1 oz/gallon.

In the video they put 4 capfuls (2 oz) into 2 gallons of water--1 oz/gallon, that happens about 12 minutes in: Meguiars Rinse Free Express Wash, rinseless car wash, no rinse (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-rinsefree-express-wash.html)

So could we stop mucking up this thread with 1/4 oz/gallon talk before someone reads it and tries it that way?

Moldavite
09-13-2014, 12:19 PM
i tried with few methods and have good result:
1:20 for wiping after polish /bird dropping /fresh bugs
1:50 Garry Dean wash method for very light dust/ rinse down whole car follow by 2 bucket wash
1:10 for new brake dust