PDA

View Full Version : Can I get help making a kit for college?

Pages : [1] 2

conman1395
09-11-2014, 10:39 PM
Short Version: I'm a college kid and need a cheap kit to take to a coin op with an air dryer to do maintenance washes.

Long Version: Hey guys, so I'm barely 4 weeks into this semester and I have no detailing supplies in my apartment. I've been doing most of the detailing at home - a 45 minute drive on a highway in Kansas (been a lot of bugs).

I just stopped at a coin op that has an air dryer (makes me miss my Metro SideKick a little less). I've never really gotten into rinseless washes, but obviously I need to if I want to wash my car effectively while at college. So here's my question:

What do I need to be able to do rinseless washes in the CHEAPEST fashion? already like grout sponges, so there's a cost saver. I also figure the cheapest buckets would be Home Depot buckets and grab some gamma seal lids there as well.

What are some cheap towels? I have 30 MFT 360 GSM (Gold Plush Jr.'s) at home, but I'd like to keep those there. I have soft paint so I don't think the Costco towels will fit the job. Keep in mind I have access to an air dryer so I don't need nearly as many towels. I also would like to keep the towels to a small number (per use) because I don't think the washers in my apartment are suitable for washing my microfiber. If I don't have to use a lot of towels, then I can wait longer to go home and use my washer there.

This was really wordy, and I apologize. Any and all suggestions are appreciated including ones for products I didn't ask for.

Thank you,
Connor

jamesboyy
09-11-2014, 11:06 PM
If it was me I would use something like ONR(optimum no rinse) with towels from pepboys(carrand yellow and grey ones) though if no pepboys or advance auto part like store check out walmart or online for microfiber towels

conman1395
09-11-2014, 11:14 PM
There's no pepboys, but we have O'Riley and Advance Auto.

Hokie335i
09-11-2014, 11:16 PM
Personally I have my entire kit at school with me but I live in a house. 9/10 of my washes on my jet black BMW 335 are with ONR followed my a spray wax/sealant. Just use it with buckets, grit guards and a microfiber mitt along with various wheel Woolies and tire brushes. ONR really is awesome.

I just bought my girlfriend a small kit to take care of her new subaru with. It included a bucket, grit guard, dry me crazy towel, microfiber mitt and ONR wash and wax. She loves it and uses it weekly.

Her car with freshly one-stepped paint before she left for school.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/09/12/emupubev.jpg

jamesboyy
09-11-2014, 11:17 PM
Either one of those should have a good selection of microfiber towels

SYMAWD
09-11-2014, 11:36 PM
I just took my car to college, but have no coin op around, so I keep diluted rinseless in my trunk as a waterless wash, a bunch of towels, glass cleaner, carpet cleaner, interior cleaner, and Sonax Full Effect in case I happen to find a coin op. If my car ever gets extremely dirty, I can buy a bucket and 2 gallons of distilled water to perform a rinseless wash in the parking garage. Having no water access sucks, but it sure helps that my car is coated.

conman1395
09-12-2014, 12:23 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot about buying gallons of distilled water.

hernandez.art13
09-12-2014, 12:32 AM
Kyle does Coin Op, maybe he'll chime in. (I think he does)

af90
09-12-2014, 12:58 AM
I've done coin op for 4-5 months before between assignments. Just ensure that the owner's are fine with you taking up bays for an extended period of time.

I prefer rinseless so you can save money and just get one bucket with the gamma lid, that's roughly ~$12.

Throw in a 6 pack of these towels (http://www.autogeek.net/best-waterless-wash-towel.html). Although honestly you can likely get away with three of them, throw in a Cobra Guzzler HD and a bottle of ONR, along with some utility towels from Sam's Club/Costco for $10. Tops you're in the $100-120 range for more than enough to take care of your care. If you shop around you can likely get it down some.

conman1395
09-12-2014, 01:29 AM
I should also add that I have 9 bottles of Eco Touch waterless wash from the Target clearance.

EVOlved
09-12-2014, 02:04 AM
I'd just have some ONR, a couple mitts, grit guards, buckets, drying towel, apc for tires and wheels, tire dressing, tuff shine brush, boars hair detailing brush (for lug nut holes), and wheel brush (woolie or Daytona/EZ).

Process would be:
Premix 2-3 gallons of rinseless in bucket with gamma
Take buckets out
Hit tires and wheels with apc
Scrub/agitate tires and wheels
Plop in coins for PW hit wheels and tires first, then the rest of the car
Fill rinse bucket
Go to town with the mitt obviously rinsing in rinse bucket after a few swipes
Use extra mitt for wheel faces if needed
Rinse with PW again
Hit with air dryer
Follow up with drying towel
Dress tires

Done, go back to apartment and enjoy a nice cold beverage of choice.

dlc95
09-12-2014, 06:30 AM
I assembled a kit to keep at my girlfriends apartment. At the core is the Turtle Wax rinse less, and two thick blue plush Viking MFs from O'rielly, and two pink microfiber from a local detail supply shop.I also have some of the bulk Viking microfiber cloths for wheels, and interior. I also have a bottle of Swirl X, Duragloss 101, and Megs Deep Crystal Carnauba Wax. Megs qd, and Turtle Wax Platinum tire shine.

RobRabbit2.5
09-12-2014, 06:45 AM
There is a good video on using a coin operated car wash with detailing products on youtube. Chemical guys video.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ32CqvgtMA]How To: Coin Operated Car Wash Tips & Tricks - Chemical Guys BMW E39 530i - YouTube[/video]

Klasse Act
09-12-2014, 08:06 AM
Real easy on this one:

-2 five gallon buckets
-2 grit guards
-Aqua sponge (Ebay)
-1 gallon of Duragloss rinseless wash
-large drying towel
-couple ounce measuring cup

With these simple items you car can be kept clean and protected, a little bit, so no reason to be "ridin' dirty", LOL!

conman1395
09-12-2014, 02:44 PM
Okay, I'm looking into all the products suggested so far guys, thanks. Still open to suggestions too. Another quick question: I'm looking into the DG coating, but was also wondering what sealants/waxes you guys are most automatic (touchless of course) and do it yourself soap proof. I plan on using rinseless, but would imagine there are times I might use the soap.