PDA

View Full Version : Consumer-friendly Headlight restoration

SR99
09-11-2014, 08:47 PM
On a recent visit to some out-of-state friends I noticed their headlights are very clouded. I've not had to deal with clouded headlights on my garage queen vehicles so I wasn't sure what to recommend. The vehicle is a mid-2000's VW.

Which of the headlight restoration kits are consumer-friendly enough that a non-detailer would be able to successfully restore their headlights?

Alternatively, if it's fairly difficult to get good results with these kits, is this the type of thing a local mobile detailer would come to their house to do, and roughly what would that cost?

brondondolon
09-11-2014, 08:54 PM
My favorite kit is the 3M one. However, I recently discovered Wolfgang uber compound and a MF wax applicator does a pretty damb good job. Here's a terrible pic using just Wolfgang compound on the left light.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AG Online

Chase.Detailing
09-11-2014, 10:08 PM
I have found that Meg's UC works well on an orange or black pad and then topped with a sealant.

$50. More if wetsanding is needed.

Meticulous-Detail
09-11-2014, 10:12 PM
Don't laugh, TW OTC headlight restoration kit. Had a customer who bought it and wanted me to use it on his lights and it worked very well.

MrCleanit
09-11-2014, 10:36 PM
With a drill the 3M kit is by far my favorite.

Without a drill I'd say any that has those little sanding discs are fine.

You'll get great results with either IMO.

ZiggyPopp
09-12-2014, 02:01 PM
I did mine on a 2001 Audi TT just last night and they came out great. I first taped off around the lights so I would not damage the paint then I wet sanded using 2500 then 3500 grit paper. I took my time and made sure to sand the outer edges of the lenses real well. Then I wiped them down and polished with a DA using Menzerna FG400 then FP4000. Lastly, they got two coats of sealant.

I had never polished them so they were really bad. They look brand new now.

hogie
09-12-2014, 08:06 PM
Megs ultimate compound on a foam applicator pad works well by hand as well. Not as quick, but still very easy.

AZ Mike
09-12-2014, 10:19 PM
I purchased the Diamondite Clear Plastic kit. It was simple to use and the headlight lens turned out great. All you need to supply is a drill. They say the protectant is good for 3 months but I just reapplied it after 11 months as my lenses were still looking good.

Diamondite® Clear Plastic System Kit cleans, polishes, restores headlight lenses. Diamondite plastic polish scratch remover for headlights. (http://www.autogeek.net/diamondite-clear-plastic.html)

NikonGuy
09-12-2014, 10:34 PM
I used the 3m version and still use the drill adapter and sandpaper from auto stores. 500 grit, 1000 grit, 2000 grit, and 3000 grit. Than polish and sealed with leftover CQuartz

VISITOR
09-12-2014, 10:41 PM
Megs ultimate compound on a foam applicator pad works well by hand as well. Not as quick, but still very easy.

absolutely right. i used some on yellow foam applicator and applied it by hand and while my head lights weren't all that bad, they cleaned up really nice with UC... :xyxthumbs:

Pop.Tremuloides
09-22-2014, 12:53 PM
I have used my Porter Cable and Menzerna products with great success!

I started with the highest "cut" PG1000 and then moved down to PF 2500 and finished off with FF 3000.

I actually could have stopped with the PG1000 but used the next two steps and it made a nice difference.

Seeing that I had some of this laying around (older bottles I couldn't come to tossing) they worked really well with what was otherwise simply taking up space in the garage.