PDA

View Full Version : Waterless and rinseless methods

Pages : [1] 2

frankprozzoly
09-11-2014, 08:20 AM
I've been watching alot of videos of people performing these methods just out of curiosity.

I am way more cautious than everyone I've watched. So im wondering if im being to cautious.

Im afraid to touch the paint. I spray panel down and use a pretty wet rinseless towel to wipe down

I wipe one straight line on a panel then flip to clean side. I never wipe more than one line with same fold. I probably use 15 to 20 towels. Everyone I watch just wipes away. I guess I don't need to be so cautious. .

Anyone else afraid to touch the paint

jmsc
09-11-2014, 08:37 AM
Do you hose or rinse or PW before starting?

Using 15-20 towels is my #1 reason for not using the Dean method.

How do you handle Pittsburgh's winter, sand, salt, chemicals?

Basically, I PW always, drive home, RW using ONR or Megs #114 and the 2 or 3 BM. Or WW on a not too dirty car always, always wiping gingerly.

And no, you are not being too cautious.

wdmaccord
09-11-2014, 08:53 AM
You've got soft Honda paint...I feel your pain...try it in black! But here's my train of thought: If I drive the car through the rain, I always go to the 2BM wash. And I do mean DRIVING in the rain. If it rains while my car is sitting out, but I don't drive until the roads are dry, then I'll go RW. If it has been dry all week and the car is only dusty, I go RW.

I rarely pre-spray during a RW. I use one sopping towel folded in quarters, do one panel, flip the towel and do another panel. If you are only doing one wipe per side of the towel, you might consider your car to be too dirty to do a RW. I have very few micro scratches from washing my car.

I never do a waterless.

My 2 cents from one 9th gen Accord owner to another.

af90
09-11-2014, 09:27 AM
If it takes that much then your car may be too dirty for a rinseless wash. Personally, I'll stick with specific towels that have a high gsm and long nap on both sides, that way I get eight sides to use on it. Also, the majority of dirt is built up on the leading edge of the towel so by doing repeated passes with the same side but lifting up slightly more and more each pass, you can get more uses out of one towel.

frankprozzoly
09-11-2014, 09:29 AM
The car is usually pretty clean when doing this. Sometimes I hose down first. The reason I swipe once is not because it's too dirty. Im just overly cautious about making more than one swipe with one side. .

Sometimes I switch between gary dean and just using a mitt in the rinseless solution.

This will be my first winter detailing. I pretty much just started. I think I'm fairly decent for being new. Especially seeing how some people do things. Im pretty meticulous. .

But that's my point.. I think I'm being too cautious and worrying too much

LaFawnduh
09-11-2014, 09:36 AM
It sounds like you are only flipping once? Are you folding the MF towels and using all 8 sides? As Mike pointed out, folding the towel to disperse hand pressure is important in avoiding swirls.

My wash usually requires 5-6 for paint plus 2 for wheels + 1-2 for door jambs and under hood. I split the car into 5 sections, one for each 8 sided wipe. Pre-prep panel by soaking with waterless, then use straight wipes rolling the towels up as I wipe slowly in straight lines, then buff with a WW. All in all I use 10-12 MFs each wash.

Number of swirls has been greatly minimized using this method and it is just faster than rinsing a wash mitt each time... Cut down my rinseless process time from over an hour to about 45 min for my mid-size SUV.

frankprozzoly
09-11-2014, 09:43 AM
Because I only do one swipe, Sometimes I fold the towel 16 times and I don't use any hand pressure. I make so many swipes all each with a clean side that I'll fold it that many times. I still use 15 towels.

Lol you think I'm being too cautious

jsgntulok
09-11-2014, 09:46 AM
If it takes that much then your car may be too dirty for a rinseless wash. Personally, I'll stick with specific towels that have a high gsm and long nap on both sides, that way I get eight sides to use on it. Also, the majority of dirt is built up on the leading edge of the towel so by doing repeated passes with the same side but lifting up slightly more and more each pass, you can get more uses out of one towel.
That is the same process I use. Got this idea from Mike Phillips' video demonstrating a couple of Meguiars rinseless products.

LaFawnduh
09-11-2014, 09:52 AM
Because I only do one swipe, Sometimes I fold the towel 16 times and I don't use any hand pressure. I make so many swipes all each with a clean side that I'll fold it that many times. I still use 15 towels.

Lol you think I'm being too cautious

If the only casualty is your MF collection getting a thorough workout, I see no prob in being cautious. People get by on less but if you are getting the results you want, stick with what you feel is working.

frankprozzoly
09-11-2014, 10:47 AM
I think I'm gonna ease up a little. It'll cut my time down quite a bit

conman1395
09-11-2014, 11:21 AM
Just a quick note, if your rinseless towels are dual nap (long on one side and short on the other) then only use the long nap side. Total bummer if this is the case. It happened to me and I marred my paint with the short nap side.

WRAPT C5Z06
09-11-2014, 11:34 AM
Yes, you absolutely have to be cautious with these methods, along with using a TON of towels. There is technique involved. I have zero desire to use waterless or rinseless. Traditional washing is the best, IMO.

frankprozzoly
09-11-2014, 02:08 PM
My towels are the 16*16 edgeless ... they're thick. They're the Orange ones. Same as blue.

Eventually im gonna get the cr spotless so when I do wash. . It sure will make things easier

As far as rinseless. . I wipe my car down 2, 3 times a week. So a full wash isn't really necessary

LaFawnduh
09-11-2014, 02:35 PM
My towels are the 16*16 edgeless ... they're thick. They're the Orange ones. Same as blue.

Eventually im gonna get the cr spotless so when I do wash. . It sure will make things easier

As far as rinseless. . I wipe my car down 2, 3 times a week. So a full wash isn't really necessary

I use the same towels but would recommend two things:
1.) when shopping the CR system, take a look at the griots garage version too. It has a built in bypass valve system that helps preserve the filling... Which saves cost - and the price is a little less depending on which model you were thinking

2.) doing a wipe down 2-3 times a week is kinda high. Just think, the more you touch the paint, the more chance to create swirls. I go by a 5-7 day rule, depending on how dirty, and since rinseless can be done at night you are not daylight constrained to work hours

frankprozzoly
09-11-2014, 02:40 PM
I'll look at griots