PDA

View Full Version : Corvette Lexan Top Cleaning

vet55
09-11-2014, 07:43 AM
I got a used Lexan Top yesterday and I am interested in the proper way and materials to clean and protect it.
I have Plexus and feel comfortable using it with an MF towel. Can you wash the top with a standard car wash concentrate with a normal car wash at home?
Is Plexus enough by itself? What should I use to seal or wax the top to attempt to avoid crazing? Thx ahead. :xyxthumbs:

Mike Phillips
09-11-2014, 08:35 AM
First...

Make sure anything that touches the Lexan is clean and soft with nothing abrasive in it. This includes your wash mitts, drying towels and microfiber towels.

Lexan, like the clearcoat on your car, is very hard yet it scratches very easily. I have never seen anyone including myself, remove a scratch or scratches out of Lexan 100%. That is, after removing scratches the Lexan looks perfectly clear and original. (most people's expectations).

So do this...

The Robert Diterlizzi Method (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/79586-robert-diterlizzi-method.html)

Besides that just use common sense and quality products for washing and maintaining.

I know Optimum Car Wax has patented UV protection that has been documented by Ford Motor Corporation and is made by a real chemist that helped to create the modern clearcoat paints used on cars today. Not sure if that will carry over to plastic but for what it's worth...

:)

FUNX650
09-11-2014, 12:16 PM
•Is this is an GM approved/authorized OE removable panel?

•If so:
-It should have an integrated, silicone-based hardcoat (modified polyaminosiloxane, with UV absorbers)
-Unless it has been compromised, that's the surface you'll be cleaning/sealing.
-Avoid using products containing harsh abrasives, and ammonia.

Bob

vet55
09-11-2014, 11:56 PM
First...

Make sure anything that touches the Lexan is clean and soft with nothing abrasive in it. This includes your wash mitts, drying towels and microfiber towels.

Lexan, like the clearcoat on your car, is very hard yet it scratches very easily. I have never seen anyone including myself, remove a scratch or scratches out of Lexan 100%. That is, after removing scratches the Lexan looks perfectly clear and original. (most people's expectations).

So do this...

The Robert Diterlizzi Method (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/79586-robert-diterlizzi-method.html)

Besides that just use common sense and quality products for washing and maintaining.

I know Optimum Car Wax has patented UV protection that has been documented by Ford Motor Corporation and is made by a real chemist that helped to create the modern clearcoat paints used on cars today. Not sure if that will carry over to plastic but for what it's worth...

:)

Got it, thanks!

vet55
09-11-2014, 11:57 PM

•If so:
-It should have an integrated, silicone-based hardcoat (modified polyaminosiloxane, with UV absorbers)

Bob

Yes it is an OE GM Top. Thanks.

vet55
09-14-2014, 06:38 PM
i hope MF towels are ok 'cause that's all I use.

allenk4
12-14-2014, 09:57 PM

•If so:

Bob

Bob,

Is the removable roof panel on the 2014 Stingray the same composition?

I am pretty sure these scratches are through any protective coating that might be on top of the Lexan

Will be interesting to see what happens when I hit.it with a DA and P800 sand paper

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/WP_20141213_12_59_26_Pro_1_.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/WP_20141213_12_59_32_Pro_1_.jpg

FUNX650
12-14-2014, 10:48 PM
Bob,
Is the removable roof panel on the 2014 Stingray the same composition?
Yes. The default/standard roof panel is carbon fiber and painted body color.

Here's the latest scoop:
There are currently five (5) roof panel choices
available for the C7 Stingray coupe.

• A carbon fiber panel that is fully painted in body color (this is the default/standard roof package mentioned above). {RPO CFA}

• A roof panel that has exposed carbon fiber in the center of the panel and two body colored trim edges on sides above the windows. {RPO C2Z}

• A transparent panel top only, and no carbon fiber roof panel. {RPO CC3.}

• A dual roof package that has an exposed carbon fiber panel with body colored edges, and a transpartent roof panel. {RPO C2M.}

• A dual roof package that has a painted carbon fiber roof panel, and a transparent roof panel. {RPO C2Q}

I am pretty sure these scratches are through any protective coating that might be on top of the Lexan

They sure are.

Still think you'll have to remove all of the protective coating next to the driver's side of the drip channel.

Are you going to replace the protective (hard)coating on that section?

Bob