PDA

View Full Version : Advice on carpet cleaning.

sadler
09-10-2014, 03:28 PM
I am going to be detailing the 07 bmw x5 next week since the c class just got side swiped this past week. The beemer is nasty inside with food spilt everywhere and smells bad, also has dried salt in areas. How should i approach this? I have a little green machine and plan on going to homedepot and picking up a bottle of zep enzyme carpet cleaner. Since i don't have a steam cleaner i feel like i should unbolt the seats so i can make some room just so i can treat areas that are tight with food. Now the caked salt on the carpet i have tried to get off before with carpet cleaner foam and a brush but no luck. Maybe i should soak a rag with hot water and let sit for awhile? Any Other suggestions would be great.

1. vacuum good 2. pre treat the carpet and scrub
3. use hot water in green machine to shampoo carpet

Mike Phillips
09-10-2014, 04:01 PM
Now the caked salt on the carpet i have tried to get off before with carpet cleaner foam and a brush but no luck.

Beat with something and vacuum. Beat and vacuum. Some guys use Fish Clubs, they're like a small baseball bat. Just about anything could be used that will impact the fibers and break up the crusty salt minerals.

Maybe i should soak a rag with hot water and let sit for awhile? Any Other suggestions would be great.

Getting it wet will dissolve it and with gravity cause it to seep further downward. Best to keep things dry. Get a strong shop-vac and something to beat the fibers with....

Do you have an air compressor?

Tornador Air Blow Out Gun - A Favorite Cool Tool (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/77037-tornador-air-blow-out-gun-favorite-cool-tool.html)

Tornador Blastor Vacuum Attachment - A Favorite Cool Tool (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/77036-tornador-blastor-vacuum-attachment-favorite-cool-tool.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2302/Tornador_Blastor_Vacuum_Attachment_003.jpg

1. vacuum good 2. pre treat the carpet and scrub
3. use hot water in green machine to shampoo carpet

Sounds like a horrible project to me... hope you're making some good coin on this one....

You have a good start,

1. Remove floor mats and all personal objects. Place personal objects in plastic bags.
2. Remove all large debris, like french fires, hamburger wrappers etc.
3. Dry extract - thems fancy words for vacuum.
4. Pre-treat heavily soiled areas or stains
5. Scrub interior, focus on pre-treated areas. Work by quadrants so you stay focused.
6. Shampoo with Green Machine.
7. Wet extract with Green Machine
8. Put an air mover or some type of fan in car to circulate air. Close doors and roll up windows at least half way to help create an air current inside the car. Move the air mover or fan once in a while.
9. Replace floor mats and place bags of personal items in back seat or trunk of car.

There's a lot more things you can do for interior detailing, glass, gauges, console, steering wheel and column, visors, mirrors, glove box, compartments, drink holders, etc.

:)

sadler
09-10-2014, 04:28 PM
Never thought about beating the salt to break it up, thanks for the tip. I am working on getting a air compressor and plan on getting one of them tornado brushes(been eyeing for a while). This is actually one of the personal vehicles that i don't get to dive much. The smell is not horrible, but its there and i can really tell on a hot day. I just want it to smell clean so i plan to pre treat obvious spots and mist the carpet with cleaner before going to town.