PDA

View Full Version : cleaning towels

Pages : [1] 2

godfearingman
09-10-2014, 09:45 AM
Hi I hope I'm not double posting and in the right area. I was wondering how I clean my various micro fiber towels I use with my spray detailer, taking off wax and polishing my chrome wheels. Is there any special cleaners I use or anything? Also would I need to wash them separately by hand or washing machine?

af90
09-10-2014, 09:57 AM
Any standard towel cleaner will work in the washing machine on warm. Every couple of washes I'll add in a second cycle so I can use vinegar to assist removing waxes. Then dry on delicate.

Big things to avoid, DO NOT use fabric softener and if you want to use regular detergent use something like All Free and Clear that is dye and scent free. Better off just using a dedicated microfiber towel detergent though. I also wash pads by hand. Some people will separate work towels (wheels, interior, and such) from paint safe towels used for polish removal, wax removal, etc...

jamesboyy
09-10-2014, 11:00 AM
Plus one on af90 post

cardaddy
09-10-2014, 12:21 PM
af90 hit it on the head.:xyxthumbs:

I might add that if you don't have a dedicated MF detergent that a mix of Woolite and your normal liquid detergent (try to get one that doesn't have a ton of scent to it) with just a couple spoons of white vinegar will work GREAT.

If you are lucky enough to have a washer where you can program custom cycles that'd be great as well. Ours we can, and I setup 2 microfiber towel cycles, one with a pre-soak stage (for the extra dirty towels) and one without.

Ours will weigh out the load and decide at that point how much water to put in. I'll trick it by putting the towels in and then pouring a couple gallons of hot water on them. :) That way I get enough water to cover the towels on the first wash/fill.

Have it set to do the wash, extra rinse, extra spin, gentle cycle (but not delicate). It'll then transfer it's data to the dryer (via serial cable) and the dryer know what to do. (Basically, if you have a polyester cycle THAT is what you want to use.) Low heat, moisture sensor set to at least next to, if not the driest setting.

The CRITICAL PART however when washing your towels is pulling them out one at a time and inspecting them both BEFORE and AFTER you've washed/dried them. Lay each towel flat, do a visual inspection, pick off any little pieces of trash, dirt, contaminates, anything that sticks in the fibers. Then slowly and carefully rub your open hand over each towel feeling for any snags or bumps and immediately pull the offending matter from the towel. Do this to each side, and like I said... do it BEFORE and AFTER.

It also helps you to keep an eye on the condition of your towels. It's easy to "grade" them and make that decision during the cleaning cycle as to what units will be "paint quality" the next time you use them. Nothing will tick you off more than getting right down to the LSP stage of an all day detailing session and having a towel lay down a 12" RID right across the hood because it had a hidden piece of leaf or trash or sand holding tight in the weave! :eek:

af90
09-10-2014, 02:50 PM
af90 hit it on the head.:xyxthumbs:

I might add that if you don't have a dedicated MF detergent that a mix of Woolite and your normal liquid detergent (try to get one that doesn't have a ton of scent to it) with just a couple spoons of white vinegar will work GREAT.

If you are lucky enough to have a washer where you can program custom cycles that'd be great as well. Ours we can, and I setup 2 microfiber towel cycles, one with a pre-soak stage (for the extra dirty towels) and one without.

Ours will weigh out the load and decide at that point how much water to put in. I'll trick it by putting the towels in and then pouring a couple gallons of hot water on them. :) That way I get enough water to cover the towels on the first wash/fill.

Have it set to do the wash, extra rinse, extra spin, gentle cycle (but not delicate). It'll then transfer it's data to the dryer (via serial cable) and the dryer know what to do. (Basically, if you have a polyester cycle THAT is what you want to use.) Low heat, moisture sensor set to at least next to, if not the driest setting.

The CRITICAL PART however when washing your towels is pulling them out one at a time and inspecting them both BEFORE and AFTER you've washed/dried them. Lay each towel flat, do a visual inspection, pick off any little pieces of trash, dirt, contaminates, anything that sticks in the fibers. Then slowly and carefully rub your open hand over each towel feeling for any snags or bumps and immediately pull the offending matter from the towel. Do this to each side, and like I said... do it BEFORE and AFTER.

It also helps you to keep an eye on the condition of your towels. It's easy to "grade" them and make that decision during the cleaning cycle as to what units will be "paint quality" the next time you use them. Nothing will tick you off more than getting right down to the LSP stage of an all day detailing session and having a towel lay down a 12" RID right across the hood because it had a hidden piece of leaf or trash or sand holding tight in the weave! :eek:

You absolutely hit a couple points that are very easily overlooked. I actually just threw a load of towels in and reminded me of a couple often missed things. Ensure the dryer is clear of any other items, cotton clothing can leave quite a bit of lint if you forget a piece in there. And big plus on checking the towels before and after and pick them clean and deciding once towels are no longer paint safe and degraded to dirty work (interior, engine, wheels, etc...).

I wish my washer had an option for extra rinse cycle, helps get the initial dirt and grit out of the towels.

07gtcs
09-10-2014, 03:32 PM
I wash my window towels and drying towels seperate from my other towels. Micro fiber soap and some oxy clean is all use, then in the dryer to dry.

cardaddy
09-10-2014, 04:07 PM
You absolutely hit a couple points that are very easily overlooked. I actually just threw a load of towels in and reminded me of a couple often missed things. Ensure the dryer is clear of any other items, cotton clothing can leave quite a bit of lint if you forget a piece in there. And big plus on checking the towels before and after and pick them clean and deciding once towels are no longer paint safe and degraded to dirty work (interior, engine, wheels, etc...).

I wish my washer had an option for extra rinse cycle, helps get the initial dirt and grit out of the towels.

Along that line of thinking (clearing out the washer/dryer etc.).

I keep a 50% ISP solution next to the washer. It, and the drying have stainless drums. I wipe both down before starting a load. Made CarMomma take out her permanent fabric softener bar (it fits in a snap in holder) inside the dryer. :rolleyes:

sadler
09-10-2014, 04:49 PM
I hope i have not messed my mf towels up. I wash mine in warm water with reg old tide, and a extra rinse cycle. I wash my towels separate that are used for my rinseless wash vs others for windows. I also don't put them in the dryer, just hang them to dry.

larry33
09-10-2014, 05:59 PM
I called Wolfgang and they said delicate all cold cycle with their mf detergent and hang dry.

af90
09-10-2014, 06:03 PM
I called Wolfgang and they said delicate all cold cycle with their mf detergent and hang dry.Nothing detrimental to hang dry. Dryer just helps quicken it and I think there is a noticeable difference in re-fluffing of the towels when placed in the dryer. Whether that actual helps how they perform is likely moot.

07gtcs
09-11-2014, 01:32 PM
Besides who has room to hand some 20-30 towels that get washed at once/ I know I sure don't.

Nothing detrimental to hang dry. Dryer just helps quicken it and I think there is a noticeable difference in re-fluffing of the towels when placed in the dryer. Whether that actual helps how they perform is likely moot.

CDot
09-11-2014, 08:32 PM
Hi I hope I'm not double posting and in the right area. I was wondering how I clean my various micro fiber towels I use with my spray detailer, taking off wax and polishing my chrome wheels. Is there any special cleaners I use or anything? Also would I need to wash them separately by hand or washing machine?

I use All Free & Clear--never used a marketed MF detergent--and my towels come out clean as a whistle.

And like af90 said, separate the towels by duty--you can group some if need-be (like mixing claying, IPA, & QD towels). Washing wheel towels with waxing towels is a recipe for serious cross-contamination.

Woob
09-13-2014, 11:57 AM
Just clean them often and frequently with the right system! More towels helps, you're essentially cutting the "wait" time of chemicals staying in the fiber.

Moldavite
09-13-2014, 12:39 PM
any good dedicate wash will be good, just clean them asap after use

BobbyG
09-13-2014, 04:04 PM
There a lot of good information here already but I'd like to add one more of you don't mind..........Toss a piece of aluminum foil, 6" or so, into the dryer when drying your towels, consider it a fabric softener without the harmful side affects.....

For a large load of cloths or towels toss in a piece of aluminum foil about 12" long...All the cloths will come out incredibly soft but without scent...