PDA

View Full Version : How to remove these hard deposits?

MDS
09-10-2014, 01:35 AM
Hi,

I have attached a pic of a car which has not been had a detail in years. The edges have been coated with a white deposit, which I assume is due to hard water. The thing appears on almost all edges and body joints.

Tried Super Degreaser and a bit of rubbing with cloth and a brush but no results. The only way we found it can be removed was scrubbing it with something sharp, which I would not like to try.

Worked with steam and it did try and make it soft but it had to be scrubbed hard to remove it.

What other options do we have available?

PiPUK
09-10-2014, 02:10 AM
If it is calcium in nature, you need the opposite of super degreaser (which will be alkaline). So you want something mildly acidic. If you don't have a dedicated product in your armoury, you could try vinegar. There is a lot of deposit there, and vinegar is mild so you would likely need a bit of patience.

MDS
09-10-2014, 05:25 AM
If it is calcium in nature, you need the opposite of super degreaser (which will be alkaline). So you want something mildly acidic. If you don't have a dedicated product in your armoury, you could try vinegar. There is a lot of deposit there, and vinegar is mild so you would likely need a bit of patience.

Thanks for the input.

Will try the vinegar method and see if that makes a difference as that stuff was pretty hard and very chalky to touch.