PDA

View Full Version : Overwhelmed on what to do about a dual action polisher (HELP!)

Pages : [1] 2

zachwildcat
09-09-2014, 10:16 PM
The title says it all ha. I want to move up to a real dual action polisher. I'm done using the cheap polisher I have and I want to move on up to the big guns. The problem I'm having though is selecting what’s best for me. I don’t want something super expensive but I'm willing to part with some money. When reading on what’s best, I see some people are suggesting 3Inch pads with the 6Inch pads. When I look into the dp's they are either 6's or 3's, how do I find a good dp that will allow me to use both 3' pads, and 6' pads? The way it comes around is me having to buy two dps and I would hate to do that and I think that’s a bit dumb. I don’t plan on doing any correction work yet, but I know it’s coming one day. I want something that’s powerful enough to do correction work and gentle enough to do the polishing and waxing. Please help, I just feel overwhelmed, thanks!

Mach1USMC
09-09-2014, 10:34 PM
I've used the PC, LHR15 and the Flex 3401. IMHO the 3401 is superior to the other 2 in just about every way. I've done probably 60 details with the 3401 and it's my "go to" for sure. Best buffer for the $. You want better than the 3401 you gotta step up to a rotary.

Setec Astronomy
09-09-2014, 10:46 PM
I think you should compromise on the pad size and buy a PC-type machine (7424XP, Griot's 6", G110, etc.) and get a backing plate for 5.5/6" pads and one for 4" pads (although some people use 3" pads on a "full size" machine).

fly07sti
09-09-2014, 10:56 PM
I think you should compromise on the pad size and buy a PC-type machine (7424XP, Griot's 6", G110, etc.) and get a backing plate for 5.5/6" pads and one for 4" pads (although some people use 3" pads on a "full size" machine).

+1 I'd suggest the GG6. Has lifetime warranty, tons of power, can use for 3" pads to 6+" pads. If price is of no concern, get the Flex 3401 and the LC backing plate kit. Or if you're a tool ##### like me you'll collect em all. lol

Mach1USMC
09-09-2014, 11:02 PM
I know a few people have used the Harbor Freight DA with great success as well if you're looking for inexpensive yet effective. if you get the Coupon you can pick it up for around $50.

EVOlved
09-09-2014, 11:06 PM
If your just doing your car and maybe a couple others it's hard to beat the GG6". If your doing it as a business I would go flex. I am happy I went with the GG6" you can use all the backing plates down to 3". That said I will probably one day grab a flex (although they are announcing something new at SEMA).

David Hayward
09-09-2014, 11:40 PM
I use a gg6 and a flex 3401. For sure as already stated the gg6 is great for personal use. I'd say do that with some orange and white Lake country pads and also snag up the megs damf system. That will cover about all you will need.

Loach
09-10-2014, 02:20 AM
The dual action polisher from Harbor Freight is almost too good a deal to pass up. Most recommend immediately swapping out the backing plate for a 5" Lake Country one and getting a bunch of 5.5" pads, but even then you're still saving money for a durable workhorse dual action polisher that's going to give you comparable results to many other dual action polishers that are over twice as expensive. The Porter Cable, Griot's Garage, Meguiar's, and Harbor Freight DA's are all going to get the job done and you'll easily learn to do exactly what you want with all of them, but again the price of the Harbor Freight is pretty good when combining with the coupon offered.

Also, correcting with a DA is nothing to be apprehensive about. You'll see what we mean when you get a hold of one. It's as easy as putting compound on a compound pad, turning the DA on a higher setting and just going over a 2x2 foot section for a few passes and then wiping the product off. No worries about burning through with these things. Just match the right product with the right pad and let the machine do the work. Those DA's listed above aren't forced rotation, meaning you're not going to be fighting to keep the machine steady on the panel if you're not perfectly flat, they are extremely easy to handle and maneuver at any speed setting.

Now, forced rotation dual actions like the Flex 3401 and rotary buffers like the Makita/Dewalt/Flex ones take a longer learning curve to understand how to control and maneuver them at speed. If you don't have much experience with the DA's listed above, I would not move straight into a purchase with that caliber product (3401 or rotary) unless you're willing to spend some time on a practice panel learning to control those tools. But with the DA's listed first, as I said before, there's nothing to worry about and they are perfect tools to learn to compound and polish with.

top189h
09-10-2014, 07:42 AM
I have a gg6 with 4 inch pads, a rupes 15, and a hf rotary myself. I have also used the hf da and the flex 3401. They all work, and have their own perks. I like the way a da feels to use, and my rotary is really only used for 3 inch pads in tight places. I also passed on the flex because to me it felt like I may as well be using my rotary. The hf da feels much more powerful than my gg and rupes, but the rupes is so much smoother, but it will bog down on curves. If I was you, I would look into the hf da or gg. I can't attest to the longevity of the hf because it's my brother's and he only uses it once in a while, but it buffed out my 28 foot racecar trailer just fine. The gg has been with me for 3 years and other than putting the smaller bp on it, I haven't done a thing and it gets used on every single job I do.

Mach1USMC
09-10-2014, 07:56 AM
I have a gg6 with 4 inch pads, a rupes 15, and a hf rotary myself. I have also used the hf da and the flex 3401. They all work, and have their own perks. I like the way a da feels to use, and my rotary is really only used for 3 inch pads in tight places. I also passed on the flex because to me it felt like I may as well be using my rotary. The hf da feels much more powerful than my gg and rupes, but the rupes is so much smoother, but it will bog down on curves. If I was you, I would look into the hf da or gg. I can't attest to the longevity of the hf because it's my brother's and he only uses it once in a while, but it buffed out my 28 foot racecar trailer just fine. The gg has been with me for 3 years and other than putting the smaller bp on it, I haven't done a thing and it gets used on every single job I do.

GD has used the HF DA on many " high-end" details. New Porsches, Aston Martin, Ferrari, Tesla etc - it's all about technique and product. If you're just starting out don't waste your time on crazy expensive tools.

KneeDragr
09-10-2014, 08:05 AM
I use a Griots with 5" plate and Im pretty happy with it. Part of me wants to try out a Flex or Rupes just to see what the difference is, but I'm not willing to part with the cash to see.

Justin at Final Inspection
09-10-2014, 08:15 AM
I recently switch from a 5in DA to a 3401 and couldn't be happier. I got the smaller backing plate so I could still use my 5.5in CCS pads with the 3401. Now that my 3401 is my go to I donated my 5in DA to another member. I also have a GG 3in mini polisher that I use with 4in pads for tight areas.

I would really consider a 3401 with this backing plate system.

FLEX XC3401 Changeable Backing Plate System (http://www.autogeek.net/flex-xc3401-backing-plates.html)

swanicyouth
09-10-2014, 08:17 AM
The hf da feels much more powerful than my gg and rupes,

That's really interesting. It's the first time I've heard that. Usually people say the GG6 is a bit more powerful than the HF DA. I know the GG6 draws more amps...

But, variations in Chinese manufacturing could mean one of your machines is a bit "more powerful" than the norm - and one slightly less. This is normal variation in manufacturing, and more than one user has reported buying an identical replacement machine and the power feels "different".

All this being said - I'd still go with the GG6 over the HF DA - if they are the choices. Even of they are equal, I'd just rather support Griots. Yes it does cost more, bit you do get a lifetime warranty (which is huge for this type of machine) and a useable 6" BP. The GG6 also has a bale handle - which I like.

top189h
09-10-2014, 09:00 AM
GD has used the HF DA on many " high-end" details. New Porsches, Aston Martin, Ferrari, Tesla etc - it's all about technique and product. If you're just starting out don't waste your time on crazy expensive tools.
It truly is all about technique. I bought the Rupes because I do a lot of trucks, had it not been for that, I would still only be using my rotary and gg.

top189h
09-10-2014, 09:06 AM
I thought the gg would be more powerful as well, but even with the 6 inch bp on the hf polisher it never bogged down the couple of times I used it, where as my gg will bog down once in a while with the 4 inch pads.