PDA

View Full Version : Anti-fog strategy?

Pages : [1] 2

MilesTeg
09-09-2014, 12:19 PM
I have a big problem with fog inside my windshield. What's the best thing to do to mitigate that?

KMdef9
09-09-2014, 12:40 PM
Remove the moisture inside your vehicle.

allenk4
09-09-2014, 12:53 PM
Is the glass "Surgically Clean"?

Dr.K
09-09-2014, 03:03 PM
I'm a nube to AGO but I've been driving for over 40 years, I've had more cars than I can count and have driven millions of miles. The times I've had serious fog on the inside of my windows, my heater core was leaking. It will cause some serious film all over the inside of the car but it's most noticable on the winshield and windows in general.

PiPUK
09-09-2014, 03:29 PM
First trick is to ignore anyone who tells you to use a wax, sealant or anything designed to repel water - it will make matters miles worse. There are also anti-fog glass cleaners which can work well but I could not name any on the US market. There are a couple of ones by detailing brands but they are very hit and miss and many continue to report issues with streaky results which are extremely annoying when you get a street light shining through.

MrOneEyedBoh
09-10-2014, 04:42 AM
I don't think that if by our windshield is foggy it automatically means you have a leaking heater core.

BillE
09-10-2014, 05:30 AM
Just a couple 'o follow up questions...What kinda vehicle? Where are you located?

Bill

Guessless
09-10-2014, 07:23 AM
When I bought a new Honda many ages ago, the manual said to turn the A/C on and put the heather on max at the same time. It worked like magic everytime getting rid of the interior fog in no time.

Dr.K
09-10-2014, 07:34 AM
I don't think that if by our windshield is foggy it automatically means you have a leaking heater core.

Very true Sir. Just one POSSIBLE cause. My apologies.

Thank you for clarifying it. Good day!

Mike Phillips
09-10-2014, 09:06 AM
I have a big problem with fog inside my windshield. What's the best thing to do to mitigate that?

What are you working on?

:dunno:

alanG40
09-10-2014, 09:20 AM
Make sure your vent isnt set to recirculate.
And as said earlier, dont use any paint care products on the inside of glass (spray wax, etc...).

Ive always used balled up newspaper with Windex or other real glass cleaner, never fogs that way.
Some older cars with HUDs may have a special coating, so in that case use a MF towel.

After I give windows a good cleaning all thats required for normal maintenance is a wipe with a fresh MF towel.

MilesTeg
09-10-2014, 03:15 PM
It's a '03 Explorer. It's fine in warm temps, but in the winter will fog up a lot from my body moisture/heat and render the windshield useless until the engine warms up enough to evaporate it, and then the fog seems to leave a film or other gunk (or more likely just make the other gunk more visible). Trying to get ahead of the problem before winter hits again.

Some good tips already, always used recirculate thinking it would help things heat up faster and have been using Stoner window cleaner for a while. Will switch back to Windex.

It's definitely not my heater core, though certainly a good thing for people to check.

alanG40
09-10-2014, 03:43 PM
Yeah recirculate is likely the culprit then, all it does it recirculate stale warm air, which leads to instant fog.
Made much worse if youre a smoker.

Give them a good cleaning and set the vent to fresh air and youre set!

expdetailing
09-10-2014, 08:16 PM
in the wintertime, leave the heater off untill the engine is warm. The engine will heat up faster this way.

Hazcat
09-10-2014, 11:28 PM
Defrost mode should use your A/C compressor to remove moisture even if you have the temp set on warm. Does your A/C work okay?