PDA

View Full Version : Air compressor for blower?

hvaughn
08-08-2007, 09:05 PM
Would it be safe for me to use my air compressor to blow off excess water. I don't have a vac that blows air, and was thinking of turn the pressure down real low (20 psi or so) and just use it. Any reason why this would not be a good idea?

thanks,
Heath

D
08-08-2007, 09:10 PM
Nope, go for it. Not sure how psi relates to MPH. But you can use 150- 200mph fine.

fordtruck
08-08-2007, 09:20 PM
concerning the use of an air compressor - 1 thing to think about is the water from the tank that air compressors blow out along with the air. this water is from condensate that accumulates in the tank over time and contains rust particles from the inside of the tank. ...so after you get the car good 'n clean you end up blowing minute rust particles all over the paint again just like the minute rust particles you can't see that come from brakes and other sources. get yourself a good filter that takes everything out of the airstream and remember to bleed off the tank regularly especially in damp weather.

hvaughn
08-08-2007, 09:29 PM
I bleed the tank after everytime I use it. It is a small wall-mounted tank. Didn't think about the rust particles in the tank. May not be a good idea after all.

D
08-08-2007, 09:33 PM
Yeah, he brought up a good point. A number of people do it.

Maybe just go buy a cheap electric leaf blower? Thats what I use.

matteo86
08-08-2007, 09:55 PM
Yeah, he brought up a good point. A number of people do it.

Maybe just go buy a cheap electric leaf blower? Thats what I use.

:iagree: Bought a cheap 80$ one does 150mph..good to collect leaves in the fall too hehe.

Gary Sword
08-08-2007, 10:09 PM
I use to use an air compressor but I switched to and electric leaf blower after reading some threads on AG. I used my compressor at about 70-80 psi. A compressor works great at getting the water out of the cracks. The leaf blower gets water out of the cracks and help dry off the whole vehicle.

PhaRO
08-08-2007, 10:51 PM
My air compressor empties out quite fast if I'm blowing. I bought a cheap 150mph leaf blower at Walmart for $27 for blowing out water from the exterior and it works like a champ. It does exactly what I want it to do. I haven't a single complaint about it.

blkexcoupe
08-08-2007, 11:42 PM
If you follow the procedures and properly drain the tank there should be no condensation in the tank. Another thing to think about is that depending on the compressor it may shoot out oil to keep the tools lubricated.

Al-53
08-09-2007, 06:21 AM
Wal Mart has a cheap blower for 26.00 its a 150 MPH blower..it works great....

I have a 20 gallon compressor and its a oiled piston type (ingersall) and the air coming out can contain water or oil in it..I use a water oil seperator when painting for that reason...

but this leaf blower is the nuts for drying....I just use a 16x16 Cobra to blot what water is left...

Weed Eater WEB150 Electric Blower - Wal-Mart (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4910793)

AL

LazerRed1
08-09-2007, 10:06 AM
I've used my compressor but depending on the weather conditions, humidity mostly, it does blow out some water with the air and I drain it after every use.

Going to Wally World and pick up Al's suggestion. The leaf blower I have is way too heavy and is an accident waiting to happen.

budman3
08-09-2007, 01:23 PM
I have a 33 gallon air compressor which I use for a lot of things and blowing out the cracks and crevices is one of them. I wouldn't suggest drying the whole vehicle with it ... it'd take forever, but to blow out the water in a honecomb grill, it works great. Also it gets the water out of door handles, mirrors, moldings, trim, etc. I'm not too worried about the rust particles, I'm not blowing on the paint that much. I'd be more worried about using a leaf blower that could kick up some dirt and have it fly 150mph and hit the paint... If you already have a compressor, might as well use it for the cracks and crevices.

hvaughn
08-09-2007, 06:22 PM
I have a backpack blower (gas powered) that I use for yard work. But don't know if it I should use it on the truck. I too am a little worried about blowing dirt/etc on the truck.

PhaRO
08-09-2007, 11:15 PM
I don't worry at all about the dirt blowing on the car. I just use mine for blowing out water from trim and such. Usually the lowest I'm blowing is the lug nuts. I hold the blower maybe a 6-12" away and when I'm walking around with it I always point it up. Sometimes I'll see something light on the ground move like a leaf or paper but don't notice anything blowing around on the ground. Probably no more movement then if there was a breeze.