PDA

View Full Version : New Car. Need some advice

flyingtoaster
09-07-2014, 07:10 PM
I bought a red 2015 Golf TDI that needs some swirl care. I have lots of new plush towels and good soap. Here is the detailing equipment I have. Do I need to buy anything else to polish and protect the paint?

3M electric DA sander with 5" and 6" padded velcro orbitals.
Menzerna P085RD (4500 equivalent), bought 4 years ago from AG.
1 Lake Country 6" soft red pad in good condition.
Wolfgang sealant, bought 4 years ago.
Megs #26 wax.
Lots of 3M blue painter's tape.

David Hayward
09-07-2014, 07:23 PM
New vw paint can be rough to work on. I'd say you will need a minimum of pf2500 possibly fg400 for brand new dealer swirls with a white or orange Lake country pad or an equivalent from another brand.

David Hayward
09-07-2014, 07:24 PM
And as for the 3m sander I have no experience as for how well that works on paint. I have only used rotary buffers and da polishers.

flyingtoaster
09-07-2014, 07:36 PM
And as for the 3m sander I have no experience as for how well that works on paint. I have only used rotary buffers and da polishers.

The paint doesn't know the difference between the 3M and a powerful DA. Variable speed, high torque, and lightweight with an external power supply that resembles a car stereo amp.

I also have P085U, but I don't think it has any more cutting power than PO85RD. Should I start with a more aggressive polish/pad? Also, do I need to use a paintwork cleanser before the initial polish?

David Hayward
09-07-2014, 08:18 PM
I think I worded that wrong. I know the action is the same I just meant compared to the newer Porter cable and griots and flex polishers I can't compare the 3m since I haven't used it.