PDA

View Full Version : do freshly wash microfiber towels have wax smell ?

sito
09-07-2014, 03:50 PM
do freshly wash microfiber towels have wax smell ?

My microfiber towels are clean but they have waxy smell.
are they clean?

FOCUS.FREAK
09-07-2014, 04:09 PM
Do you mix up your microfiber's when you wash them? Or do you wash them all at once? I'm wondering if one of the towels had a build up of wax on it when you washed them.

-Jordan

DaveT435
09-07-2014, 04:13 PM
What kind of detergent?

sito
09-07-2014, 04:26 PM
What kind of detergent?

Tide detergent

TurboToys
09-07-2014, 05:34 PM
Tide detergent

tide or tide free?

if you use regular detergent, and not a MF specific one you should make sure it's a "free" so there is no extra fragrance or fabric sofetener left over.

one thing you can do is dampen one with some distilled water, and wipe it over the paint. if it streaks you probably have something left over in the towels.

IMHO the best way to get them especially clean is to let them soak for an hour is some warm/hot water that is a 15-20:1 APC (i use megs) solution. wring them out and throw them in the washer with a mix of vinegar and either a MF detergent, or a "free" laundry detergent. warm/hot cycle.

dry by air hanging or if you dont have the room throw them in the dryer on low/delicate til dry and fluffed. don't use fabric softener in here and if it smells strongly of softener you may need to clean it out a little bfeore drying them so they don't collect any on them.

solman
09-07-2014, 06:49 PM
I wash my wax off microfiber towels separately from the rest of my microfibers. I am not sure that the wax comes out completely. It seems to me that there is always a residual amount left over. I use CG microfiber wash and no softener in the wash.

Brunkel
09-07-2014, 07:54 PM
Awesome info. When air drying do you hang them inside or outside? I hung them up inside and it took 2 days to try and they obviously weren't fluffed.

Also do you put the vinegar right in with the detergent or in a downy ball for example?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TurboToys
09-07-2014, 07:58 PM
Awesome info. When air drying do you hang them inside or outside? I hung them up inside and it took 2 days to try and they obviously weren't fluffed.

Also do you put the vinegar right in with the detergent or in a downy ball for example?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i wouldn't hang them outside anyway, inside is always better, you don't want them to catch stuff flying around in the air. and that is the downside is they don't fluff when they hang to dry.

vinegar can go in with the detergent or with the "softener" cycle. either one is fine. it's a natural fabric softener as is.

allenk4
09-07-2014, 10:25 PM
Are you using HOT water?

sito
09-07-2014, 11:18 PM
Are you using HOT water?

does it matter if I use hot water?

which cycle use hot water? colors, bright, white, delicate?

spiralout462
09-07-2014, 11:37 PM
does it matter if I use hot water?

which cycle use hot water? colors, bright, white, delicate?

I would guess that hot water might help break down waxes and oils in the towels.

TurboToys
09-07-2014, 11:57 PM
Hot water helps release dirty and will help any wax in them melt and be carried away.

Whites wil be hot water, typically colors uses cold, and delicates Is warm or cold

rfoster
09-09-2014, 03:16 PM
I use hot water on all of my towels. I use a free/clear detergent and then when it's done, I turn on extra rinse and throw in a cup of vinegar to fluff them up.