PDA

View Full Version : Detail Tomorrow...40th Anniversary Mustang GT

KJW Detailing
08-08-2007, 06:57 PM
Well, one of my boss' own a 40th Anniversary Mustang GT Convertable in Yellow...

He wants his car detailed (or cleaned up as best it can be b4 he goes on vaca)...i was going to try to do it tonight at work but i ended up getting 7 spots so no time tonight at work...so i will be doing it tomorrow at my house...

outside of guzzling water b/c its hot...any suggestions/ recommendations when working with the mustangs?

Exterior - Has pretty heavy swirls and some water etching...im thinking like XMT #3 with maybe a LC Orange Pad...

*i want to use XMT360 b/c i haven't yet but i think this is to much for the 360...

the wheels (chrome) could use something b/c it has swirls but i am not sure what i could do with then since i dont have any specific stuff for that...the exhaust pipes could also use a little something but again not sure what i can use on them...

Glazes...this car doesn't have any pearl to it so i am wondering if glazing with give it any benefits? i have the RMG and VMG...

Wax...i can either go SSII, Liq. Sov, DG105, or ClearKote wax...

If anyone could give me any insight that would be great!

Thanks

D
08-08-2007, 07:12 PM
Well the clear is medium. #3 with orange pad will be a good start. Definitely too much for 360. Make sure the chrome isnt clear coated, then go to the local store and get some polish. Is the exhaust stock or aftermarket? Dont see a need for glaze. For wax Id go with SSII, or Liquid Souveran.

KJW Detailing
08-08-2007, 09:10 PM
idk if the chrome is cleared or not...they are stock wheels from Ford...

and the exhaust is stock...

also what about their engine bays...what all would need to be covered if going to clean?

D
08-08-2007, 09:27 PM
These engines are pretty bad when it comes to "water resistance." Cover up the COP's, water can get into the spark plug holes easily. Watch the fuse box on the drivers side. Watch the MAF sensor on the inlet tube, right after the air box. Got some large wire harnesses on the fire wall. Watch the EGR. Basically, wires and sensors exposed everywhere. So just be careful, use your best judgment when covering things. Cover sensors with aluminum foil.

I wouldnt really worry too much about the exhaust tips. Just hit it with some local polish from Auto Zone. Its just stainless steel, unpolished.

Pretty sure those rims are clear coated. So make sure whatever you get can be used on clear coated rims.

Water gets stuck around the rear taillights, reflectors on rear bumper, side view mirrors, plastic cowl by windshield, and under the headlights. So take a leaf blower to those areas.

KJW Detailing
08-08-2007, 10:03 PM
cool thanks D&D...im trying to do a really thorough and good detail as i am thinking of putting this card on my website when i go through the creating process of that...

im might just pass all together on the engine...

sparkie
08-09-2007, 03:53 AM
Looks like D&D told you some good stuff there. You can always try a spot using 360 and a cutting pad, and see if it works out for you. On the exhaust tips or tail pipes as I like to call them:D . Use Poorboy’s World Spray and Rinse Wheel Cleaner or Duragloss #931. It will make them look like new.